Cafe Mexicali

IanIan
edited April 2011 in Local discussion
It opens next Thursday so I thought I would give it its own thread. They are putting the finishings up at the moment and look like they are making an effort to try and give the place a bit of character lacking in its previous two incarnations. Spoke briefly to the owner, the menu will be up on Monday. I look forward to reviews ...

Comments

• edited 3:42AM
    I really, really hope it's nice. I've been schlepping to Chipotle and Benito's Hat an awful lot lately.
    @Ian - did he say if they are going for Tex-Mex or something a bit more authentic? Is it a burrito / taco place or a proper restaurant? I will be overjoyed if it is good.

@tosscat - do you rate Chipotle? It's the only place I ever left a burrito half-eaten. I love Benito's Hat.
    @ janedoe - 'Rate' implies that I'm some sort of aficionado, when really I just love spicy food. What did you have? I always have the barbacoa with black beans, brown rice, both spicy and pico de gallo, and salad. I never have the guacamole, soured cream nor cheese as I find it just ends up a gloopy fatty mess. In Benito's Hat however I had the pork with everything and it was also great; really distinct flavours, delicious. Mmmm, I'm hungry now.
    @tosscat - I always have pork with black beans,rice, lettuce, cheese and hot sauce. I'm a bit of a rubbish Mexican food fan since I don't like coriander. I think I have tried out all of the burrito places in London and Benito's Hat and Daddy Donky are by far my favourites. I especially like Benito's Hat because they have corn tacos if you ask for them.

I too now have a burrito craving. Shame Mexicali isn't open already.
    Now, I've not been to Daddy Donkey but I have heard good things. Burrito Bros is okay too.
    Benitos Hat has the spiciest chilli sauce i have ever tasted in my life. I love hot food but this stuff just took my head off. The guy in the place said that only 3-4 people a month have it and he was surprised that i'd gone for it. Post flames, he gave me a five little dishes with sauces of varying heat to show the gradual changes. Good grief, don't go for number 5.....it could trigger a fit.
    Oh, either they didn't offer it, or I didn't notice - oh well, next time.
    Mas Burritos near Leicester Square I've always found to be excellent...
  • R&JR&J
    edited 3:42AM
    @JaneDoe It says Tex Mex on the sign
    Having lived in Los Angeles for lots of years I can say with hand on heart no Mexican food will beat street food in LA. If its not made by a 94 year old, one armed man called Pedro, smoking a cigar its not worth eating.

But having said that something half good is a bonus.
  • KazKaz
    I hope they have nice margaritas.
    where is it going to be? Stroud Green Road? whereabouts?
    It's at the Dudley's Pancakes site on SGR by Wetherspoons.
    Glancing at it yesterday evening, it looks pretty Chiquitos-esque - cardboard cactuses, etc. It'll serve burritos, fajitas, etc, but I'm not holding my breath on the quality.
    Huevos Rancheros as a breakfast option on SGR would be most welcome.
    Slight concern however regarding the proximity of industrial quantities of refried beans and the smokers outside WLM.
    My Mexican meals out often end up with mild disappointment, but I can never resist the temptation and when it's good I love it.

The best places always carry and air of entertainment that lets you forgive not so magnificent food.

Hopefully this will be a good addition.

I really hope Yemek spots its error if this is busy and does a swift refurb to make itself look a bit less cold and clinical. Am still yet to venture in.
    Chilango's (nearest one is Angel) is having a free burrito day on Cinco de Mayo to celebrate the opening of their new Chancery Lane branch. The idea of free burritos sounds very attractive! It would be lovely if Cafe Mexicali had a similar promotion.... [Chilango announcement](http://www.footfall123.com/mail/da486c0b8d54a85f86c3c2110894c3ab/29afa9349aaabd6dbfeb0e854be2710b/)
  • edited April 2011
    <http://www.cafemexicali.co.uk/>; still not up at time of posting this. Piss poor.
    I think it's next Thursday no?
    Website != open.
    You've just made me realise that I'm in Mexico City for Cinco de Mayo - hooray!
    The best Mexican food I've eaten in London is from <a href="http://www.wahaca.co.uk/">Wahaca</a> near Covent Garden
    Thumbs up for Wahaca too. Even on busy saturday afternoons the automated queuing system (with a bar right there) makes it (sort of) fun to wait.

Main courses £6.95?! What a bargain. Meal for two, with drinks for < £30, haven't had that in central London since about 2004.
    I went a few times to Wahaca and it was great to start, but then went very quickly downhill. I'm assuming it must've greatly improved.
    Yeah I don't rate it either. Good selection of Mexican beers and Tequila, but the food is pretty bland. And stoggie, even by Mexican standards.
    wow. i rate wahaca very highly indeed. never heard negative things said about it before, but i guess there's a first time for everything.
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I am a big fan of Wahaca too. I have noticed standards slipping slightly the past few months. I tend to go late afternoon when it is quite but the staff can be a bit inattentive and the food sits under the heat lamps for a while. Nothing worse than a dried out taco. I still think it is great quality and value and does the best pork tacos I have tried in London.
    Has anyone tried the Mexican place on Blackstock Rd - Exquisitas? Looks like it's been there ages but I've only noticed it today.
  • IanIan
    I used to go to Exquisite all the time when I lived on the Blackstock Road, I quite liked it. Not been for ages.