Cafe Mexicali

Comments

• edited 3:45AM
    Definitely open tonight, I just booked a table. Their number is 0207 263 8395 if anyone wants to do the same.
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Passed by at about 7pm and the place is pretty full.
  • RegReg
    edited 3:45AM
    Went in and had a couple of beers (one being free for opening night) and a chicken burrito. It was nice and busy (as was PappaGs. Yemek being dead again). Service was excellent, nice family atmosphere. Food was fine. It filled a gap and I would go again but its not something that I am going to rave about. A good local, and for that I am grateful. A little on the expensive side but since they robbed me with a smile, I can deal with it.
    I'd say Reg summed it up perfectly. Half of SG.org was in there to my amusement. I can confirm that Krappyrubsniff lives. I didn't sample their extensive cocktail menu, you'll have to wait for Misscara's review...
    Speak of the devil.
    I forgot to mention that my chair collapsed underneath me. And I only weigh ten stone. I decided to forgive them.
    Anyone else got a review? I love Benitos Hat, amazing!
    Hello everybody!!!!! Yes, I live.

I'm no expert on burritos etc but I will give Mexicali four and a half stars out of five for reasonable food, good atmosphere and service with a smile. It was full of happy-seeming people. I would say a definite asset to the area.

Bye again.
    I was there earlier in the evening. Staff were all welcoming. The layout is very spacious and child-friendly. The guacamole and salsa seemed home-made and the grilled veg for a fajita were good quality, so I would say the cooking is a step up from what some assumed it would be. Would be reasonable value normally, or very reasonable with a drink on the house! All in all, a nice addition to SGR.
    I was very impressed with it - much better than I was expecting and I agree, the food did seem homemade. Will certainly go back.
    Decent guac? Interesting. Must check it out.
    I went there about 9-ish and they said they had a free beer promotion but there was an hour and half wait for food. We declined and went to an empty Dhonia. CM was very busy especially compared to a very sorry looking Yemek, who must be distraught. They appear to have gotten everything wrong. CM still had several tables finishing up after 11 while Yemek had there shutters down. I'm now very keen to try CM, but I really feel for Yemek.
  • R&JR&J
    I liked the cute lady on the door who turned me away late last night
    Went there for a late takeaway lunch today. I'd give it 8/10 as a venue, with honourable mentions for the fresh guac and the beans. yum :)

(chicken could have been spicier though, but never mind)
  • edited April 2011
    Arrived just after 9pm last night ... service took a while because they must have just hit the tipping point for the first night. Staff looked manic and stopped taking orders for 30 mins ... but after all it was their first night and you can forgive a few teething problems like that ... the drinks were free so couldn't complain.

Food was OK ... I thought my chicken fajitas were a bit on the bland side ... but the atmosphere was good.

Will definitely give it another go in a few weeks when they've got into their stride.
    We also went last night. Service very friendly and very fast - they might need to slow it down if they want people to drink more, but they're still settling in so that will even out. Agree that there's already a really nice atmosphere, and we thought a good range of beers. As for food - we shared some tortilla chips (not homemade but that's rare I think) and the salsa and mole both nice and they were homemade. Had burritos and chimichangas for main and they were pretty good - I'd say better than your average tex mex - but needed more kick. They were happy to give us a free pot of jalapenos though, which sorted it. Had a chat at the end with the lovely lady serving us, as she'd had some woman kicking off about having to walk 30 seconds to the cash point because their card reader was down, and she then popped over with a free shot for us both. So all in all, would recommend and we'll return.

I do still pine for my favourite ever Mexican, which is unfortunately located in Sydney. Bit far, even for the melted cheese and bean dip with homemade tortillas, mmmm. If you're ever in Sydney, go to Izote!
  • RoyRoy
    Yemek was repainting the interior this lunch time.
    I can't remember the last time somewhere got so much opening day love. You'll turn in the next week or so. You lot always do. It normally starts with the coffee.
    It was chock-a this evening.
    Maybe Yemek should reopen as a laundry ?
  • MHPMHP
    It certainly looks good and I will definitely try it but why "Cash Only"? That's not a good sign. I see Yemek has added some much needed colour to it's walls, now it needs to get the lighting right. The minimal look was OK for a noodle bar but not a Turkish restaurant.
    Still utterly empty, mind. I'm starting to find it a bit upsetting, walking past and seeing nobody in the sterile gloom.
    I assumed the "cash only" situation is temporary from the scribbled signs they've put up.

Maybe we should all go to Yemek en masse one night. To eat, I mean, not with pitchforks/Laurence Llewelyn Bowen.
  • IanIan
    Problem now with Yemek is that consciously I want a restaurant to have fresh meat. With so little turnover I'm not confident I would get that. I realise it is a catch-22 but I think it makes it more difficult for them to turn it around. They made mistakes at launch that it is difficult to recover from. The place next-door have shown how to launch a restaurant, albeit with goodwill by offering cuisine it appears many at least on this site were up for. Now they will need to concentrate on quality to keep people going though.
    I'm up for a Yemek Flash Mob Meal
  • IanIan
    An entrepeneurial owner, confident of their offering might come on this site and offer us all a free meal one night then bask in the glow of our warm reviews and valued repeat custom.