The camp outside Tesco....

Comments

• edited 3:15PM
    @Ian I've seen them use the near by alley way for drug use, at first I was shocked to see it, but it is nice to know they move away from where children would easily see(not all people are that nice).

I'm not really sure what I want done, but the current state is a sad affair :(
    I've just returned from San Francisco - their downandouts make ours look like amateurs. They raid all the public bins for recyclables to sell to the city then spend they rest of the day sat on the street with signs like "no money for weed - please help".
    Cannabis is completely legal there so it's not as shocking as all that. Also, unlike our Camp Tesco vagrants, the people you saw are probably genuinely homeless and scavenging plastic bottles is at least a way to make some legal money. Did you encounter the nice chap with the supermarket trolley full of cats while you were in in SF? He's normally around North Beach.
  • RoyRoy
    edited 3:15PM
    @sevlow: doesn't the park close at night? And I got the impression it's not really a safe place to visit illicitly at night. @miss annie: Cannabis is most certainly not legal anywhere in the US!
    Though some places have a much laxer attitude to medical use than the UK, and I believe California is one of them.
    It is. One can be prescribed it by a doctor for medical reasons and are also allowed to cultivate it home. It is also a taxable product when dispensed and generates huge revenues. Not my thing but it's interesting that a state that had a right wing governor for so long is more relaxed about it than the UK.
    I spent the last 6 years living in Los Angeles and San Francisco and Medical marijuana is legal, that's a huge reason I moved over there, all i had to do was get a card from a DR. Then go to a smoke shop and order what you like, its a pick-and-mix. I went most days and its a safe, controlled way to handle a problem that should not even be a problem. <http://www.medxcannabiscollective.com/#!>; This is a link to my old shop that I use to visit, I long for the day when one of these shops springs up in SG, next to the Sugar Lounge maybe? And if they are begging for weed outside Tesco i will be happy to give them a blunt.
    I think I read somewhere that the medical conditions for being permitted cannabis are so loose in California that you can get it for insomnia.

That's one step away from being permitted it because you quite like getting stoned and illustrates the foolishness of something so harmless being illegal in the first place.

I think Camp Tesco probably needs a bit of a shake-up if they are doing class As in the vicinity.
    If there doing Brown or Crack then it should not be outside Tescos but a bit of green its nothing, I would rather walk past a few stoners than a few drunks any day of the week.
    Seconded.
    Yes, I'd tend to agree.
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    there was some sort of box-like construction there this morning. I heard they were thinking about putting a conservatory on.

with the farily mild weather, my guess would be that they are there for the summer at least.
    I'm not terribly keen on their modus vivendi either, but I don't think we should talk about fellow, probably vulnerable, human beings like that, Miss Cara.
    Congratulations on your volunteering. Seriously. It isn't a job many people would want to do. You presumably do it for compassionate reasons, which makes it all the more distressing that you should dismiss vulnerable, yes, vulnerable people as rubbish, in a public place like this forum. Criticise their behaviour by all means, but we others are entitled to protest about ad hominem abuse. I would do the same if if anyone abused you in such a venomous way.
    The question is whether you feel sorry for them or not. I don't feel sorry for them - not any more, having seen them file out of Wall Court of a morning to start their 'Tesco shift', no, not at all. They are playing on your emotions ("oh look, poor helpless homeless drug-addicted people forced to beg on the street") and the fact is Chekski, you have fallen for it. They're as bad as the fake Romanian baby beggars, who used to tout drugged-up infants on the tube to pull the heartstrings. Not all beggars are so easily dismissed but these people have somewhere to go and there is no reason why they should be lying on the pavement outside Tesco, making fake appeals to our common humanity. Kick 'em off, I say.
    Will that be your first act as mayor?
    It depends if any of the Tesco campers has got a vote in the election.
    You have missed my point, Krappy. It was simply whether it was acceptable to dismiss people as rubbish. Sympathy? Well, that's up to you. But I am against local forum abuse, especially when the abused are, so to speak, not present. In this case it could lead to even nastier behaviour in the street, when the haters feel they are numerous, and powerful.
    I rather agree. People should be judged on their behaviour. 'Filthy', 'nuisance', 'scummy goings' on - all perfectly accurate. I might have drawn the line somewhere before classifying them as refuse, but I can't disagree with the sentiment. We're all vulnerable. They're choosing to make a show of it. Compassion wouild be best directed at compelling them to live a productive life, rather than humouring their anti-social behaviour.
  • AliAli
    There must be a compassionate LibCon Policy for that! Bring on Duncan Smith! Wonder how tomorrow will go and whether/when Chris Hulme will make his move ?
    I have seen 'haters' used on a couple of threads now. I thought this was just Kanyespeak.
    Do you mean Chris Huhne? Did you know he should have won the first time round? Some votes were delayed due to a post office screw-up...
    The young man with the wavy brown hair (Joe) seems to divide his time between begging outside tesco with the Irish girl and doing the same stint in front of the Natwest across from the park on Seven Sisters road. I gave him money/bought him food for years until I ran into him walking up Stroud Green road completely cleaned up, wearing new clothes, carrying a bag of grog, and "going to see his girlfriend". He said that someone had taken him in, but I saw him back to begging again in front of the Natwest the very next day, looking like his usual dirty and greasy self. One of the shopkeepers on SS road even told me that he sees a lot of people handing him £20 notes and the like. Needless to say I agree with the lack of sympathy sentiment and don't bother talking to any of the camp anymore.
    I have used the shops and particularly Tesco's for way over 10 years and have watched the ups and downs with that woman from when she was a youthful looking homeless girl selling the big issue (a very very long time ago) through various grubby druggy states to this long bender she is on with new mates. No sympathy from me and wouldn't give her the time of day- Stroud Green and surrounding areas could do with less drug action which inevitable attracts other users and ups the local crime - muggings, thefts and house burglary which we have been on the receiving end of. I would like someone (?) to move them out or at the very least disband the the camp.

Reckon its time to starting complaining to ....- Tesco's, local police or should it be local MPs?
  • AliAli
    The local police are members on here SGT any comment
    I am on here very sporadically now, and it is always fun to catch up. Pretty standard fare as usual, but am slightly surprised by Miscarra wanting to 'get rid of the rubbish'. Just because people have a flat, and choose to be outside Tesco, doesn't mean they haven't been failed by the system. Yes there are unsavoury folk hanging about and may be dealing, taking etc etc. And yes it is a bit of an eyesore, but there is still a root to the cause, that is very unlikely to have been a straight life choice. NIMBYism does nothing to solve a problem, just ostracise the vulnerable or misunderstood. I LOVE N4