Barbers - Vitor in Tollington Park (*****)

edited January 2011 in Reviews
164 Tollington Park Road, N4 3AJ Vitor has cut the hair of my whole family from 4 year old tot to grinning granny and all the fussy kids, teenagers and glamour-puss wife in between. We all have him to thank for keeping us smart and cheerful . A nicer guy and more modest bloke you could not wish to meet, and anyone will tell you he is a really strong, technically excellent, hair dresser/barber at a very reasonable price. In fact I am told several slick Hornsey Road policemen make a bee-line to him for very arresting hair cuts – not to mention the most fashionable kids at IAMS school, and the dapper manager of Christopher Charles Estate Agents!! My GQ-styled brother from the US came and went there and said (quote) ‘He may sport a Kojak cut, but boy, that dude can cut hair’. So, there you have it.

I would not normally write such a rave review but, at this difficult economic time, I really think this classy clipper deserves to succeed with his terrific tonsorial business and you could be the ones to help him turn a close shave into a permanent wave.
C’mon, say it: V for Vitor!!

Comments

• edited 7:06PM
    Tom, this is what my granny would have called 'over egging the omelette'.
  • edited January 2011
    I think there may be a vacancy at the Daily Star for this kind of meretricious tosh.
    Miss Annie, surely over egging an omelette just results in a larger omelette.
    But also a very boring one if you don't also over-fill and over-season it.
    Not a patch on Smart Design I'm afraid
    Yeah, give me Smart Design every time, 8 quid, all over in record time and no questions asked.
  • Very discrete haircut indeed at Smart Design except they try to set fire to your head.
  • edited January 2011
    I used to love it in Smart Design when they used to burn off my ears and eyebrows. That was in my shorter haired days...

On another subject @Philistine...why can't I bloody overtake you as Mayor of the Lion? Every day it says I'm 'one day away from becoming Mayor' but I never get there.

Are you sat in Spoons, or logged into 4S checking in every night at 00.00?
    @krappyrubsniff I used to get asked *too* many questions in Smart Design. I think I got 'propositioned' in there once...
  • Was in yesterday but not done the FourSquare nonsense since before Christmas when I got caught deep-throating a Scouser in the stalls.
    Do you think that they’re likely to be able to handle longish curly hair? By handle, I don’t mean ‘shave off’, but preserve and nurture curls while emphasising sizzling masculinity? It’s a tough balance.
    @Arkady that's a balance I wrestle with every day too. Hence why I wouldn't put my cherished locks into the hands of Smart Design or Vitor. There's a fancy new mens grooming place in Crouch End called Capellis. I've been meaning to give it a try. Anyone been?

Ah, Philistine that was you deep-throating that Scouser! I did see you doing it but turned a blind eye...
    What Scouser was that?
  • I didn't notice. To be honest there was a very long queue.
  • edited January 2011
    Four Eyes, are you sure it was your blind eye that you turned?
  • edited January 2011
  • edited January 2011
    No comment :-S
    I've been cutting my hair with Vitor since he started a few years ago and haven't looked back since. My hair is quite rebellious and grow clockwise at the back and anti-clockwise at the front, which makes it difficult to make it look nice with a short-haircut. It either tends to fall at the forehead, making me look like a baby, or it stands at the top, looking like I just woke up and went out without brushing my hair.

But Vitor can easily master my hair and make it look smart and easy to comb in the right way. He always cut in the right lenght and in the right way and it's not necessary to explain anything, as he knows what to do. For me it's also nice that I can have a chat with him, in Portuguese, so that I do not forget my language after so many years here.

Now he has his own business and I wish him every success in his new venture.

Fernando
    He's an absolute legend! the best hairdressers i've come across!!
    im so pleased with the results my friends and i are in love with Vitor's hairdressers.
    great banter too.
    Great Guy & Great Hairdresser
    just moved to the area and got my first stroud green cut at vitor's on saturday. i've got pretty unruly hair by any standards and vitor did a hell of a lot better at taming it than my last two or three barbers.
    decent guy, decent cut and no pretense. definitely going back (until i can afford capelli's in crouch end that is...)
    Had my hair cut there yesterday, very good experience overall. Would recommend it :)
  • DKLDKL
    edited 7:06PM
    I heard as well quit good opinions. Few of my friends got a hair cut up three and they look good.
    He is also doing ladies hair now...:)
    just went back for my second cut last week. even better than last time (probably one of the best cuts i've had), and he was still up for a chat despite man utd getting beaten in the champions league!

looks like he's getting really busy now (which is great) and has an assistant who supposedly is also recommended.

if anyone feels like giving him a hand in spreading the good word you can help boost his search results by leaving a review here:

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?cid=12107912955059762574&hl=en-GB
    Vitor supports Man Utd?

He told me that he supported Benfica. Turncoat.
    He also supports Real Madrid, thus hates Barça.

Oh, and he does do a mighty fine cut.
    Benfica, and Real because of the Portuguese link. His Man U affiliation was temporary and purely anti-Barca.all reasonably coherent.
    I've used Vitor a couple of times since moving to SG, he's a smashing chap. I'd especially like to thank him for staying open and cutting my hair yesterday when all the shops around us were pulling the shutters down when it was rumoured that the rioting was heading our way. Top man!
  • Just off for a trim at Vitors and going to check out the old Decca recording studio Studio at 106 . Chang