Bicycle Thieves in N4

edited December 2009 in Local discussion
careful out there Stroud Green cyclists... my FLAME RED 21" Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (with distinctive DMR V8 RED pedals) mountain bike was nicked out of back garden last night (VICTORIA ROAD) - reckon they were skilled fellas as they didnt make a sound - if any one gets this bike offered to them (pub/street cnr etc) pls let me know! Its got 'alpha dot' security marking so pretty hard to shift on the shop market - have been told they wont touch bikes with alpha dot. tom

Comments

• edited 6:08PM
    We need a bike thief in Regina Road. There is an abandoned bike chained to a post outside our house that hasn't been moved for months.
    if i catch em ill send em your way... doe sit have air shocks on the front tho? they wont be interested otherwise...
  • Thanks for the heads up. Two years ago at this time of year someone lifted one of my best bikes out of the back garden - can't figure out how they achieved it as they had to get it over a five foot wall topped with trellis, then five or six other garden walls to the nearest street access. Didn't see or hear a thing.

All my neighbours suffered from thefts several nights running that week too, so my guess is you'll find they'll be back. Not smart but if they find easy pickings......

One solution : lock the thing up.
    yep exact same MO... how did they do it? ah well multiple locks coming and a shed ...and perimeter electrified barbed wire... and infra-red night vision auto movement sensing belt fed machine guns ... and ... opps got carried away there
    Got any pics Tom? Might help any sightings...
  • AliAli
    edited 6:08PM
    There is hope my Neice had her posh bike nicked from her flat hallway down in Highbury. Police caught a tenage kid on it and it was recoverred after about a month.
  • @tomthemac - are you in the section of Victoria Road backing onto the gardens between Lorne and Albert, west side (nearest Stroud Green Road)?

If so then that is the same location as the last spate of thefts. Rear security is terrible in this block because so many people just can't - or won't - be bothered to secure side access gates. It's just walk in, nick, and walk out.

If so, I'll warn the neighbours. And I'm bringing the bikes in.
    watch out. they're back.
    two decent bikes lifted out of the back garden in florence road sometime yesterday. grrrr
    Ever wondered whether one of the neighbours could be the perpetrators?
    not the neighbours....and i never thought it was
    lovely PC from Kentish Town has just brought one of the bikes home...he was off to nick the lad he caught riding it. Quite a nice turn up for the books.
    Oooh, do tell more.

I am bringing my bikes back in again for the summer now.
    not too much extra to tell yet (we're waiting for the excitement of our day in court when we'll find out more)
    lad was cycling through kentish town no doubt looking less than innocent and when stopped said the bike was "borrowed from a mate". PC took the bike off him and did a couple of things that surprised me as i thought they didn't have time/didn't bother anymore. first he called Trek (the bike brand) who record where all frame numbers are sold, they directed him to Two Wheels Good and they gave him our number. He then brought the bike round and took a statement of loss so he could nick the scruff he found on the bike. He'll be charged with the theft and handling stolen goods i believe. The PC told us a few extra handy facts - now that Westminster and now Camden have got cops on bikes, they're managing to do more about the massive bike theft economy. Ideally we need more on bikes near us. Bike theft is a rung on a particular theft ladder - steal bikes then use bikes whilst stealing laptops etc from cars. Good bikes are well travelled - they stopped a white van heading up the A1 recently and it was full of stolen bikes...plus he managed to stop another that was heading to the ukraine.
    He recommends good locks fixed to something solid. Our bikes are back outside and very well locked now.
  • edited June 2011
    Hi, Do you know where in our area i can get the bike security marking? The police website shows regular sessions, but they are all out of reach for me (weekdays until 7pm) as am still at work: http://www.met.police.uk/transport/cycle_marking.html
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Property Marking is good, however nowadays Police recommend registering your bike on immobilise.com This is an online property database that is free to set up. You can register almost anything. You should at least register your mobile phone using the imei number, laptops and other electricals using serial numbers and bicycles with their frame number.
    Stroud Green Safer Neighbourhoods Team will be at the Trinity Fair on Granville Rd N4 on Sat 11th June from 11am -3pm and will be able to register property there and then. Please come along to register or find out more details.
    Bob Stevenson
    Sgt Stroud Green SNT
    0208 721 2837