Landlord electricity certificate supplier recommendation

edited July 2011 in Local discussion
Can anyone recommend an electrician or company who can provide me with a landlords certificate?

Thanks very much.

Bridget

Comments

• edited 6:47PM
    A what? Please clarify... Are you the landlord? I'm the landlord of a rented flat and it's not something I've ever had the need to supply and I like to think I'm up to date with all the necessary requirements.
  • edited July 2011
    I'm a tenant. Once a year, we get a letter from British Gas telling us that we're due for a boiler inspection. They check that it's safe and issue a landlord's certificate that we send to our landlord.

There's nothing for electricity, as far as I know. We've lived here for nine years. No one's ever come to check the electricity.
    We are letting through and agency and we are required to pay for a gas check for the boiler and cooker - EVERY YEAR

And one for the electricity - EVERY YEAR too. It's not cheap. We have certificates for the place we are renting which is a good idea as there is an old boiler in the bedroom!

My friend recently let her place and had to do the same thing.

It's a safety thing...

Bridget
    I'm in the process of letting my flat. I think the Gas Safe certificate is normal but the electricity applies to appliances. My agent hasn't mentioned anything about any obligation for certificates etc.
    Ah, the annual leccy cert relates purely to appliances. The installed network doesn't need any annual certification. I let my flat unfurnished so it needs only a gas cert.
    This is what it is:

A Periodic Inspection Report (PIR) is an electrical test on the condition of the electrical wiring, installations and electrical connections such as accessories light switches and electric sockets within a property.
    The electrical installation - such as the wiring in a house - is tested against current electrical safety standards. The report lists any faults, possible concerns, and potential problems that need further investigation. The PIR report also provides a timescale of urgency on which action should be taken. The electrical test itself does not attempt to repair any of problems that maybe highlighted. The report can be used to decide whether to budget for any remedial works or additional investigation.
    A Periodic Inspection Report (PIR) may be recommended every year or every 2 to 5 years depending on the age, use and condition of the building.