Chapter One reopening soon

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• RoyRoy
    edited 12:33PM
    Where is Chapter One? I'm sure I've seen the odd thread about it but I guess it's before my time - dunno where it is/was...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited 12:33PM
    This is what CAMRA say about the Halfway House: No real ale
    Monday - karaoke, Tues, Thurs, Sat they have a DJ, and Wed and Friday are "open mic" nights. Sunday is Irish music. Happy hour - opening till 7 pm, after which a 50p surcharge is added to all drinks which are normally £2 or under

Might give this one a miss.
    i think SGR has is about to suffer another bout of de-gentrification. This also sounds like bad news for some of those at the SGR end of Lorne Road, whose gardens were often used as public toilets late at night during Chapter One's last incarnation.
    Oh h*ll - I'm one of those, have already had to shoo coke-sniffers off my doorstep from time to time.

*starts flathunting*
  • AliAli
    object when the licence comes up if it is a pub/bar. It will have to be something different to succeed with the amount of money being taken from people through tax and cuts etc means that there is less cash to go around in the premise in SGR.
    A down-market version of the White Lion? I didn't even think such a thing was possible. :S
    "A down-market version of the White Lion?" a skip full of cider?
    The Monarch on Chalk Farm Road, now a pretty good venue/club, used to be a Wetherspoon's - but in between that incarnation and the present one, it spent a time as a ghastly pub which can only be described as sub-Spoon's. The prices were slightly higher, the quality of food noticeably worse, and the standards of hygiene much poorer. Truly horrible. I hope Chapter One doesn't end up as something similar.
    Agreed, I was in Chapter One within its first week and loved it - they had a great vocalist/pianist on and the owner/manager? turned out to have roots in the same small Irish town as my best friend. A really special evening, and one which shouldn't be tarnished by what the place later became.
    The open mic night sounds good. It will be good to get a bit of life in that part of sgr. We could do with a Camden vibe there, the Halfway is not Boujis but at least you can score a good party night at the end of a busy week looking up winded overfed pets.bring it on! Chang
    To be honest I need a new late-night bar to work my way through. I mean have the odd drink in, quietly. Ahem.
    I'm with Idoru. I've got this vision of a late bar, some kind of funky jazz playing, £5 tall drinks. Bourbon, but no mojitos, served immediately by professional bar staff, there for the tips (it'd be rude not to tip in this place), and making sure you feel right at home straight away.

Pan around the bar around 1230 on a Wednesday night, and you see a selection of people sitting around on stools, many coming back from a late finish after work, some talking to each other without screaming or shouting, some on their own just contemplating life and staring into the distance, wondering how the day dealt them the hand it did, and whether tomorrow would be a better day. Occasionally, New York siren sounds would be heard, but no-one around the bar stirs.

Yes, it's been a difficult week at work and it's time to hit the drinks cabinet.
  • KazKaz
    I wish they would open a wine bar. Not a posh pretentious one, but a cosy one, perhaps a bit French.
  • AliAli
    Nothing much seem to be happening with this re-opening ! Anyone know when we are going see the pub price war with the WLM?
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    What's the story with the Halfway House, anyhow? I had never spotted it until a couple of weeks back, and couldn't help but think it looked a bit suspicious.
    until very recently it was a restaurant called <a href="http://www.justfreddies.co.uk/">"Just Freddie's"</a> - which i felt a bit sorry for - it looked quite good, but wasn't in a great location.

also noticed yesterday that the "@ Club" sign at the back of the Arsenal Tavern now says "Backpackers Hostel"...
  • edited November 2011
    Some builders were in there in Chapter One at lunchtime today so finally this place is getting a makeover and sgr will be back as a rock centre. We really need it, it's too sleepy round here. I just hope they don't turn it into a sauna, I mean spa! Chang ! Chang
  • Someone was looking around the place next to Soba too.