Stroud Green Winter Ale & Arts Festival - idea

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• edited 5:09PM
    I know of quite a few dance companies (contemporary dance) in the area, I can check in with them... And lots of events management (production) experience too, happy to help out.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Also re Arkady's comments - there's almost no way on earth we could get an actual theatre instead for the end of the year at such short notice. If a church hall is available, let's nab it!
    Plus St. Mellitus is very much on the inclusive, do good things for everyone end of catholicism.
    I’m sure you’re right. It’s just that I’m on the anti-theist end of the atheist spectrum, and the idea of giving money to the Church bothers me a tad. But ignore me. Depending on the nature of the event I might be able to rustle up some musicians, so I’ll keep an eye on the thread.
    From their website:

'The offices on the side of the church are used by CARIS which runs bereavement counselling and organises the winter shelter scheme for Islington.
    Tel: 0207 281 5200.

The office of Community Language Support Services is on the ground floor of the presbytery. Founded by Eritrean women, it provides legal and housing assistance to immigrants in Amharic, Arabic, English, Somali, French, Tigre and Tigrinya'

'Probably because we don't have a shopping centre or branches of the electronic chains, we have been riot-free. So far. Tottenham, Wood Green and Hackney are quite near and there are Catholic churches in Tottenham High Road and Mare Street, Hackney. No sound from head office about what support they might need. Rang around the numbers of the senior clergy in Archbishop's House but got voice-mail replies. A couple of years ago I had a problem in August and was reduced to ringing the nun-housekeepers to find who was functioning. This time I got the director of communications: one auxiliary is available, in theory. The director said he took it for granted that we were kept posted about who was around: surprised to hear that this was never done.
    Meditating on the reasons for the rioting. A sense of alienation, not belonging or needed? Mutatis mutandis, the same could be said of the laity and grunt clergy of the diocese, hanging on in a hopeless state without even the gesture of the diocesan pastoral council required by canon law.
    This afternoon a response to the rioting officially from the Archbishop who is abroad. "Officially" because it could have been written by anyone. The director of communications this morning sounded quite lively, so perhaps it came from the auxiliary bishop on duty. Time for a spot of rioting outside Archbishop's House. Nothing personal: get it in while he's away. '

I'm agnostic (in the TH Huxley sense, not in the wishy-washy sense) but have no problem helping these guys out.
    I'm with you Arky: I have to steel myself to go into one for anything other than a gander.
  • edited October 2011
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    That sounds very worthy Mirandola. (The difference between Huxleyite agnosticism and atheism is illusory. You don’t find any atheists saying 'there definitely isn't a god' either - Dawkins and Hitchens go out of their way to be clear that no knowledge can be certain - just that one has no basis to believe in that for which there is no proof. I'm guessing you're not agnostic about fairies or trolls*, for instance) Oh crikey Misscara, what mischief do you have in store for me? Arky *the excellent Troll Hunter notwithstanding.
    BUT SHE SAID HUXLEY. *sulks* Oh alright.
    Not fair miss.
  • edited October 2011
    @Arkady,

Hmm. Not so sure about there not being any atheists who say God doesn't exist. But happy to agree on the unknowability thing.

The St Mellitus Parish Priest's page is extraordinary reading - he's clearly not happy with the way the Church is going.

Ahem. Anyway, winter festival. Good idea.
    I think a winter festival sounds like a great idea! Mulled wine anyone?

I'm an atheist with no problem with going in churches. If God wants to strike me down for my lack of belief, that's up to him. And we're not agnostic about fairies or trolls because THEY EXIST.
    Regardless of your religious or non-religious views...

The thing about churches is that invariably they are some of the nicest, most interesting buildings in any location, so anything you can do to help them stay intact and support their upkeep is good.

Stroud Green is richer for the building of St Mellitus being there and, again regardless of religious view, arguably richer for the support it gives local people.

Thus, paying to use their church hall is for the greater good.

Is the argument I would put forward here.
    @Papa L: I’d like it even more if it was converted into a bar.
    @Arkady Which luckily appears to be the vague proposal here.

I'm in for a Winter and Ale Fair too.
    I think this is great idea! What month are you thinking of?
    Sounds like a great idea!
  • edited October 2011
    Weren't the churches the original community centres ? Aren't religions supposed to be inclusive never met a Christian one that discriminated except the cults .I believe halls are independent .
    No, the original community centres were the temples/sacred groves/gathering places which the churches stole - often at swordpoint. This also means, of course, that stealing them back is a fine and sensible plan.
    So prior to our festival we're going to raid the church? Marvellous!
    I think the re-appropriation of churches is a good idea. Even though I still use the word Christmas, I see it as a very pagan festival robbed by the Christians back in the day. By the way, I'm an ex-Catholic, although not from a strict background. I'd regard myself as an agnostic and haven't been in a catholic church for about 20 years, apart from a few tourist visits.

I can understand the objection when it comes to money going to the church, but do we refuse to use shops and other businesses because we object to the way they spend the money. For instance, many of the shop owners round here have four wheel drive cars that end up polluting the area and running some of us cyclists off the road.

Overall, go for it, it's a good idea! Reclaim the winter festivals!
    One is never an ex Catholic
    I am not sure about a Winter festival, but how about an anti-Christmas one? I can bring my Scrooge suit.
    @miss annie: that's what the nuns said, but I beg to differ; I will be an "ex" for life (and death)

Festival sounds like fun. Let us know when you need help.
    There are lots of things I envy about religion (the buildings, gruesome stories, heaven) but mostly it's the community aspect and St Mellitus seems to take this pretty seriously. I wish someone would run a weekly secular service with a sing-song. Anyway, I think this is a great idea!
    Thinking practically, has anyone contacted St Mellitus yet about availability? Do we know what dates the hall is free? And what the likely costs are? *puts planning hat on*