Bluegrass and Barbecue

edited November 2011 in About this site
<p>I have to confess that I rarely go for tea/coffee in Stroud Green, because although I have tried almost all of the establishments that do tea/coffee and lunch food in SG I still prefer Crouch End. Dinner options are better in SG though.</p><p>My favourite lunch place is Monkeynuts and I see (via the medium of facebook) that they are hosting a Bluegrass and Barbecue evening in December which might tempt me up the hill at night. Looks good, more details soon apparently.</p>

Comments

• Thank you Miss Annie<div><br></div><div>I've always thought Monkey Nuts was a terrible name for a restaurant, and that might just be the only reason why i've never been in. Have to say, it looks pretty nice from the outside but i've yet to take the plunge. Whats the menu in a nutshell?</div><div><br></div><div>Even with all the choice in CE, i'd say i've eaten out twice in 6 years? Not quite sure why. Could be idleness and the issue of the hill, but i think im convinced that wherever i go im going to be disappointed. Bad attitude really. I liked the Greek near the KFC, but that was probably more the warmth of the hosts and the venue rather than the food.</div><div><br></div><div>Where in Crouch End should people next visit?</div>
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • La Bota, the tapas restaurant on Tottenham Lane, can tempt me over the hill for dinner - good atmosphere, decent value, tasty food and the ribs are great.<br>
  • <p>Yes, La Bota is great. I spent a splendid new year's eve there once. The old chap used to run what was the best greasy spoon I've ever been to (other than E. Pellici's) - in Park Rd, sadly long gone. The tapas is fab, I love the kidneys and offaly things. It's really lively whenever one of the big Spanish teams are playing.</p><p>Monkeynuts. The menu, in a nutshell, is kind of American diner with an emphasis on things with meat. I recommend the Angus Beef Ribs, breakfasts and the cocktails. They have a daily menu with Catch of the Day and a meat dish - roast on Sundays - which is always worth investigating. I've been going for years so always get a warm welcome but they are lovely to everyone. The music is excellent, Steer clear of the nachos.</p><p>Haberdashery. I really like the place and the people and they do a fine breakfast, good lunch and a nice cup of tea. I do think it's a little overpriced and it's full of prams in the day time. Men don't like the decor.</p><p>Haven't been to Banners for a while but I've had some of the best meals there so I'm sorry to hear it's gone downhill.</p><p>I like the Greek place too, the food isn't fantastic but it's nice and it's always full of Greek people which is generally a good sign.</p><p>Keep meaning to try the Italian place that's in what used to be the electricity showroom - Spiazzo is it? Menu looks good and the deli take away is excellent. They sell my favourite violet creams on the chocolate counter too.</p><p>The KFC in Crouch End is the best in London.</p><p>I dream about Dunn's opening a tea room next to the bakery, I'd be in there every day.</p><p> </p><p> </p>
  • there is a nice place down tottenham lane that has fully glazed front and cakes are located just at the door and they are delicious. does anyone remember their name?
  • <p>My Kind of Coffee or Coffee Cake? My Kind of Coffee is the one that the Crouch End coffee geeks like.</p>
  • <P>It is further up from my kind of coffee, mostly sweets but also some savoury dishes, will check next time im in CE as it is annoying me that i cant remember the name :)</P> <P> </P>
  • <P>yep, thank you. been there once only but there are many things that would love to try. im currently stuck at haberdashery and their amazing rosemary bread!</P>
  • I love The Haberdashery. It is expensive, but I've never felt over charged there. The hot  chocolate is great! <br><br>The bluegrass and barbecue night sounds interesting, but I suspect vegetarians won't be best catered for :(<br>
  • They might have some actual blue grass - you could eat that. I'm pretty sure they'll run at least a couple of their veggie options - it being Crouch End and all.
  • Better than Carluccios?
  • Gail's chocolate brownies are amazing! <br>