Bollards
  • @dion now you bring the subject up, there has been remarkably little bollard action lately. One went down at the other end of Regina, but that is not the bollard I monitor. Two months ago it was unsettled but never went as far as going over. A month ago a dent occurred in the upper left section.

I can only conclude from the following list: lorry drivers have become more careful or less frequent; the bollards themselves have more secure fixings (my evidence on this is based on some plugs that look like they have been put in the base); and/or the council have become incredibly efficient at putting it back - perhaps they have finally got that Smart Car pair to do something useful.

Whatever the cause, things are definitely less troublesome for the bollard. I remain vigilant.

• Now, I can't believe that the bollard has survived the riots.

Please update with status.

• The bollard has lasted 9 months or so now, so it is no longer the hapless soul I began to monitor. For what it is worth, I think the council decide to fix it to the stand at the bottom so it wouldn't fall over every time it was nudged. At some point a week or so ago it took a hell of a beating. It didn't topple, possibly due to my fixed base thesis, but it is in a sorry state.

• Thanks for that Ian I hadn't been wondering how the survey was going until you mentioned it but am pleased to know that you are a  steadfast local citizen keeping an eye on all things bollard :)

• dear bollard fans,

as a longtime fan of this thread i would like to say-

i agree that sg n finsbury park bollards need our support,they stand there doing a good job in all weathers, year after year,they never complain, or throw a sicky and they show classic british stoicism n stiff upper lip service to the local community...

if the bollard falls down;just pick it up,put it back in place,press down on it with all your weight and it pops back into place.No need to email auntie islington council.  

ive put many a knocked down bollard back into its rightfull place - and it gives an enormous sense of satisfaction.

yeah?yeah!

on twitter there is a twitter account called something like "bollards of london " a fine tribute to these fine upstanding gentlemen of the road so to speak...

if you cant be bothered to help a bollard back to his upstanding place in the community after white van man has knocked him over after mistiming the corner then email islington council on contact@islington.gov.uk

carry on 

• The illuminated bollards on Florence Road, at the junction of Lorne Road, have been knocked down three times in the last four months. I can't work out if someone is doing it on purpose. Surely they are easy enough to see? The last time it happened was last Saturday at about 8am. There was a big bang and the car left half its exhaust pipe behind. Joyriders perhaps? Someone has now replaced one of the bollards with a traffic cone which I think looks rather beautiful now that it is illuminated.

• @lololala perhaps the problem is that that your bollards don't have a champion. When I mentioned the battering the bollard had taken (above) next time I looked it had been replaced. I can only conclude Islington monitor this bollard due to its prominence on this site ...

• That one in Lornr Road was hit because it was suspectedto be part of the root of the stink which the street is infamous for. Not true tho, I think . Chang

• Man down MAN DOWN. Photo later...

• What's the damage? DOA or retrievable?

• I love this thread! Those poor, brave bollards :(

• The bollard is already fixed back in place. The internet is a magical thing.

• My local bollard! weeps a little

• To be clear, there is only one bollard I monitor - that is the one. The rest are on their own.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Local Events: Next 7 days

(Calendar link)