Dog Controls

AliAli
edited March 2012 in About this site
<P>Are on their way</P> <P><A href="http://www.haringey.gov.uk/dogcontrol">http://www.haringey.gov.uk/dogcontrol</A></P>; <P>Might help with reducing the number of pit bull terrier type of dogs running off the lead in the Park</P>

Comments

• edited March 2012
    It would affect all dogs though.  I think it's a bit sad if a dog can't come off its lead ever.   I don't know anyone, let alone 'many' who don't go to the park because they don't like the dogs running about.  I wonder how 'many' are the many they refer to.
  • I don't know how many times one needs to make the point that the problem is owners, not dogs. <div><br></div><div>As ever, clumsy policy making seeks to criminalise the majority of law abiding owners for no reason whilst those who disobey it now will disobey it in the future. (see also, car insurance)</div><div><br></div><div>Dog licencing, enforced, worked. Most dogs are already chipped.</div>
  • My dog likes chips but is well behaved except when he runs off (to Nandos). Chang
  • edited March 2012
    <p>I have owned dogs all my life this being the only time I don't, and the only reason I don't is that the flat is too small.</p><p>Andy is 100% correct.</p><p>All dog owners should have a licence, all dog breeders should have a licence if they're found without one the dogs are impounded. All dogs should be chipped.</p><p>Make the licence £100 per dog, people will pay it if they're the responsible type.</p><p>Some of what I have put is totally unenforceable but an idiot can dream.</p>
  • Put bad owners down rather than the dogs and you'll sort the problem right out.<br>
  • I can't understand why they don't say which parks are over half a hectare. That's quite an important bit of information to know what the impact of this would be; they must know and be able to list them; and we can't all be getting out our maps to measure (and I for one am shamefully clueless about land area measurements). Depending on this, the proposals don't seem all that bad or radical to me.
  • I was in the park recently with two what  I thought looked quite nasty "pit bull" type dogs chargin around. They were having a great time but I wasn't as I was with a child and you just never know and dogs do know when you get nervous
  • A football pitch is 1.25 hectares apparently.
  • @ali "You never know" is at the bottom of nearly all crap policymaking, especially when coupled with "think of the children". You do know. There are risks in life and part of being an adult is quantifying those risks and dealing with them appropriately. Issues like ID cards, speed bumps, detention without trial and stupid dog laws all stem from a mentality that 'something must be done' regardless of how effective, expensive or intrusive it is. 
  • I have to say, having read the proposals, they don't seem that draconian to me, either. Finsbury Park is 46 hectares, Alexandra Park is 80 - both well over the suggested size for dogs being allowed off their leads. I think owners should have to clean up after their dogs and I think it would be a good idea for children's play areas to be fenced off and dog free. <br><br>But I'm not really sure what the proposals are meant to address. Surely most owners are already responsible, and those who aren't are just going to ignore the rules? I don't see them being especially easy to enforce either. <br>
  • Although I don't have a dog now, I've owned several Rottweilers and German Shepherds, have worked as a dog trainer for various dog homes, as well as working at The Kennel Club for a few years (around the time that the dangerous dog act was being debated).<div><br></div><div>Unfortunately, anyone can buy a dog, and it's up to the owner as to whether they want to get their dog chipped.  In my experience, 99.9% of problems with dogs are caused by the owners ignorance on how to train and control their pet.</div><div><br></div><div>Detritus - I completely agree with you - every dog owner should have to have their dog chipped and registered in their name, and I think any responsible owner would be happy to pay £100 for this if it meant that they could take their well behaved dog out and not have to deal with total idiots that don't control or clean up after their dogs.   </div><div><br></div><div>I think that rather than look at imposing all sorts of restrictions that affect all dog owners, not just irresponsible ones, it would be a better use of funds to just enforce the laws that already exist.  Has anyone ever seen anyone patrolling and giving out fines to those that let their dogs shit all over the pavement?   Or do you know anyone that has received a fine?  I don't.</div><div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • Aren't the children's areas already fenced off with signs that say 'no dogs'.   I thought the bit by the cafe in Finsbury Park was, as well as Priory Park.
  • Children's areas in Finsbo Park are fenced off, no idea about Priory, but I think it would be a good idea to do the same in all parks. Keep the kids away from us normal people!<br>
  • I don't really see why dogs should be allowed off the lead in public spaces (in towns) at all. And I quite like dogs. <br>
  • Because they need exercise?<br>
  • To cull & control the human population?
  • <P>Andy,</P> <P>I felt quite worried by these dogs as well, ironically my son was climbing trees near to the dog training area.</P> <P>Agree lots of the rules are over the top.</P> <P> </P> <P>Didn't  Islington consult on something similar a while back</P>
  • Isn't failure to clean up after a dog already a crime? As has been said already, enforce existing laws before you start making new ones to show that Something Is Being Done. <br>
  • more rules and regulations and controls, it's getting ridiculous now. Microchipping, one of the biggest threats to your freedom. Stick 'em in your kids, their doggies have got 'em.<br>
  • <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/in_the_news/323780-would-you-microchip-your-child/AllOnOnePage</font><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><br></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Chode, these days, satire is basically impossible</font></div>
  • edited March 2012
    Chode? How rude! yes I think you might be right.