New Policing Model

London's communities are set to see an extra 2,000 officers in neighbourhood policing teams after the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic games as part of the Metropolitan Police Service's total war on crime. And as part of the Met's approach for total victim care anyone who is a victim of crime will have the offer of police coming to visit them. The new proposals are part of a major new investment in neighbourhood policing beginning in the Autumn 2012, which sees a new set of promises in how we serve and protect the communities of London. Each ward will keep its dedicated officers and PCSOs in local policing teams, who will, under the new 'local policing model' be part of newly formed integrated neighbourhood policing teams (INPTs), comprising of uniformed officers, detectives, forensic and other officers under the leadership of a police inspector. These teams will investigate 'lower lever' neighbourhood crimes, such as thefts, criminal damage and anti-social behaviour. They will proactively target offenders, engage with the public and work with communities and partners to address problems. The teams will agree on a number of promises with local communities, such as patrolling certain areas at certain times, or visiting every secondary school and every place of worship in the area at least once a month. More complex and serious investigations will remain with criminal investigation departments (CID), who will prioritise on pursuing and disrupting harmful criminals and gang members, and supporting vulnerable people, such as victims of hate crime or domestic violence. Changes to shift patterns will also see more officers on duty at key times, such as late at night and at weekends, and they will be used in a more intelligence-led way in the areas where crime is taking or could take place. And, in a renewed focus on victim care, any person who suffers a crime, whether that's a stolen bicycle or serious assault, will be offered a visit by police. The extra 2000 officers will come from transferring officers from back-room and non-operational roles, and from merging existing squads, while senior management costs are being reduced to ensure that there are as many constables out in communities as possible. The new model will also see the introduction of war room-style 'Grip and Pace' centres where senior officers will have daily conferences with key staff, armed with the latest intelligence and data to coordinate police activities and ensure all the right resources are being used in the right places at the right times. Announcing the changes at a meeting of borough commanders on Monday 19 March MPS Assistant Commissioner Simon Byrne, head of Territorial Policing said: "Neighbourhood policing will be the foundation of our total war on crime and our total care for victims. Our refreshed approach to local policing will see us being more visible to the public, more flexible in how we use our resources, and more focused on meeting the needs of victims and people affected by crime. Our new policing model will see a number of firm commitments to the public. "We will increase visibility in neighbourhoods by putting significantly more uniformed officers where the public want to see them. We will operate with greater pace, flexibility and momentum, while leadership will be more visible and more intrusive. We will seize every opportunity to cut crime, tackle offending and support victims. And we will speak to and listen to people, and respond to their concerns. "Last year we announced changes to the number of sergeants on Safer Neighbourhoods teams to make the supervisory ratios more inline with other police forces. Our new model now increases the number of police officers in local communities at a time when the MPS is facing budget challenges so this step is a clear statement of our commitment to local policing."

Comments

• edited March 2012
    <br>Here is the official new police model... <a href="http://legomyphoto.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/day26.jpg">New police model</a><br>
  • I would seriously reconsider the use of the phrase 'total war on crime'. <br>The Wikipedia definition of total war: "In a total war, there is less differentiation between combatants and civilians than in other conflicts, and sometimes no such differentiation at all, as nearly every human resource, civilians and soldiers alike, can be considered to be part of the belligerent effort."<br>That would suggest that civilian casualties are now considered acceptable, which I suspect is not the impression the Met intends.<br>
  • I'm pleased to hear about an increase in numbers out on the beat. Thank you for letting us know what's going on.
  • <p>Will it be a mixture of bobbies on the beat or PCSO's?</p><p>And what powers do PCSO's have?</p><p>And is there some site that can tell us were all the CCTV cams are in the area? I guess the station have saturated coverage.</p><p>I am just curious as the papers say we live in a CCTV country but to what extent is that true?</p>
  • edited March 2012
    It's very true Detritus. On average you will be recorded on CCTV about 300 times every day. We have the most CCTV of any country in the world.
  • <p>True but if you walk down Oxford Street at any given time all the big shops have CCTV is that counted into the 300 I am on Moray Rd there is nothing there but on the estate there is.</p><p>I would like to know where the closest CCTV is to me.</p>
  • You will be very surprised to find out just how much there is. You'll find them mainly on the main roads, but remember, they're in and outside shops, on the buses and trains, hidden in trees and on lamp posts, some even record your conversations. There's a control centre at a location I won't disclose where they can follow you along Oxford Street and into and around every shop you visit, in full colour high definition.
  • @detritus it will be a mixture of PCs and PCSOs. PCSOs powers can be found at this link: http://www.met.police.uk/pcso/pcso_powers.htm There are no static Council owned CCTV cameras at all in Stroud Green Ward run by Haringey Council. There are static cameras on Stroud Green Road which are run by Islington Council. If you check the individual council's websites, you can find the camera locations there. Finsbury Park Railway and Bus Station has lots of cameras run by TFL. As for camera's on other, private buildings I am sure there are plenty in the area.
  • edited March 2012
    Cheers. All welcomed. I've never heard of 'grip and pace 'but it sounds like u mean business. I hope the unfortunate ppl (some of who use drugs quite openly) often there outside Tescos get gripped and paced somewhere. I agree they need 'help' but surely this is law breaking? There is more on here about it. Bit of regular concern, i wud say. Chang