Who has lived in Stroud Green the longest?

Comments

• edited 11:45AM
    i am liar.
    but david is close to 50
  • edited February 2008
    He omits that I'm a young 50 to his rather dated 45.
    Apparently my new facebook photo has been compared to a young Robert Vaughn. Make of that what you will.
  • IanIan
    edited 11:45AM
    How young a Robert Vaughan? Are you bald with chubby cheeks because it could be a baby shot of him they were thinking of?
  • edited June 2009
    There's something in there, a little bit.
    I'm really troubled by the fact that people on this site might know what i look like.
  • edited February 2008
    its your Facebook picture? They might not be able to Poke you, but they can see the picture already. You'll probably get stopped for autographs now.
    I have changed my facebook picture to the bloke from the Rockford Files.
    It also blows out my earlier lie that I am 25
    It's nice to be missed. In fact I hadn't realised that there was anyone really taking notes of my musings...

My sons bought me a new PC, so, thinking that I'd need to start again (so to speak) I threw out all my favourites and only today did I see that Stroud Green was missing.

I'm no computer expert.
    Heh. Not the first time that picture has made these forums. Busby, were you a cyclist then?
  • RJPRJP
    I win this one, I think. I have lived in Stroud Green since March 1959. Beat that!
    I'm afraid I can't remember it when it was 'quite dodgy'.
    How can anyone have lived in Stroud Green before it was invented?
    Back when I was a boy, it was all fields round here...

RJP wins.
    I was catching the 210 before I was born.
  • RJPRJP
    Funnily enough so was I; if only when my mum was on the way up to the Whittington Hospital to give birth.
    Damn, that means I was born in Islington, not Hornsey.
    Ah. I was just joking. Just for clarity, like. I was born in 'Nam.
    Dagen Nam. and he still gets flashbacks.
    lived here since birth, moved to a horrible village in durham for 2 years, moved back, so lived here 30.
    i fondly call this place the stroud green triangle, you never seem to leave it!
    as for ali above post, i use to go osbourne, an had my first drink in the stapleton hall tavern.
  • FinFin
    Personally 10 years. My Dad however went to school in the area in the 1940s, although the school's no longer there and he moved away many years ago.
    Since 1987.

First off in a flat off Scarborough Road and now much closer to the beating heart of SG, off SGR.

One of the things I like best is that almost everybody I've known in 21 years still lives here. I bump into them in Tesco or Woodys. Just older and more knackered but just the same otherwise.

Stroud Green Triangle indeed.

And new faces too.

Hard to believe but the old White Lion of Mortimer was the coolest pub around before its corporate vandalism. The Stapleton Hall (now Larrik) was a no go area if you valued your life. Woodys was a furniture store. No Pappagone. The old FP cafe by the lake did the best ice cream.

Brought up two kids in the area. Quite a time - hard for you whippersnappers to credit but when I came there were no mobile phones and no Internet. SG is just the same though except for parking CPZs. Have been awaiting/dreading 'creeping gentrification' but thankfully it has never really come - when anyone tries it just gets subverted, SG style.

Happy days.
    10 years in N4 for me, not all of that in SG though
  • edited June 2009
    I've also lived here since 1982. We moved into U/toll park that November.
    I did spend some years in the US during that time so I guess if RJP's residency is continuous then s/he still wins.
    But I did come back and am more Stroud Green chauvinist these days than ever.
    1998. Made the leap from south to north and never looked back.
    November 08 here. Never looked back either.
    rainbow_carnage and i have been here just shy of seven years, and the only times we've considered moving were to another flat in the area. we're still in the same place though.
    Can't claim a record - we lived in Florence Road from 1945 till 1953.
    But... At that time there was still gas lighting in the road and every evening the gas-lighter-man came along on his bike with a long pole and put the flame to the lamp (actually we only had gaslighting at home). In the mornings the gas company just turned the gas off. If I remember rightly the gas company was down by Hornsey churchyard.

Fin - what was the school your dad went to - is it possible that I knew him? I went to Stroud Green School, at that time it was infants, juniors and seniors and the Tuck Shop did great business!
    It's always great when busby posts. It's like our own little hovis advert.