Book Club: Thursday 24th April, 8pm at The Noble, NW by Zadie Smith

edited March 2014 in StroudGreen Book Club
<span style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-weight: normal;">The book this month is </span><b style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal;">NW</b><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"> by </font><b style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal;">Zadie Smith</b><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">. </font><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><br></font><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt;"><span style="font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: small; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><b>NW</b></span><span style="font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: small; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><b> </b>follows four Londoners - Leah, Natalie, Felix and Nathan - after they've left their childhood council estate, grown up and moved on to different lives. From private houses to public parks, at work and at play, their city is brutal, beautiful and complicated. Yet after a chance encounter they each find that the choices they've made, the people they once were and are now, can suddenly, rapidly unravel. A portrait of modern urban life, </span><i style="font-style: normal; font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: small; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">NW</i><span style="font-style: normal; font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: small; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"> is funny, sad and urgent - as brimming with vitality as the city itself.</span></div><div><font face="verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif" size="2"><br></font><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal;">We thought we'd meet at the Noble for a change. All welcome.<br><div><br></div></div></div></div>

Comments

• Who is going? I am!
  • Is the book any good, it's been on my list to read for ages.<br>
  • The opening section was published in the Guardian's Review section ahead of the book coming out, and was bafflingly poor - an extended account of someone getting taken in by the 'I need some money and I've lost my Travelcard' scam, which could have been forgiven were it by and about Martian tourists, but given it was by and about a veteran Londoner, simply didn't fly.
  • I have a family descending on me this Thursday so I probably won't be able to come. I found the book quite a weird and gritty read. Hard to understand how the characters develop the way they do. I'm sure they'll be lots to talk about and I'm sorry to miss it.
  • I'll be there!<br><br>The opening is odd and I found it really stressful but I think you sort of understand it a little bit more as the book goes on...?<br><br>Spoiler alert: I completely loved it but I don't quite know why.<br>
  • edited April 2014
    See you all later. Jury out for me at the moment on this. Hated the start but warming to it as I get nearer the end.
  • Hi ladies- I'm afraid i'm feeling rubbish today- toothache, earache and headache, so will have to give tonight a miss annoyingly...I had mixed feelings on the book and haven't quite finished it, but was really looking fwd to discussing it with you- lots to talk about! See you at the next one hopefully x
  • Hope you feel better soon! I'm not going to make tonight either - did not manage to read the book but interested to hear what people thought of it! Hope to make it next time.
  • edited April 2014
    Am coming AND I have finished it! Really looking forward to discussing it as I did love it but it also annoyed me at the end.
  • Sorry been delayed so won't make it again. I did like the book once I got to the middle but the end was disappointing!!