Carrots

edited December 2015 in General chat
I bought a lovely pick and mix selection of varied coloured heritage carrots from Stroud Green Fruit & Veg (Ash's) at the weekend. They were delicious, and much cheaper than same elsewhere locally. Get yourself in there if you've never been. Completely brilliant local business full of organic, fresh, 'whole food' treasure now, as well as the best fruit & veg in SG. They sell Fentiman's and Cawston Vale drinks too! :(|)

Comments

• edited December 2015
    On the same theme - Garlic.<div><span style="font-size: 10pt;"><br></span></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;">I was tasked recently to buy "proper fat garlic" in Stroud Green.  My buyer's guide.   So far Ash's garlic at SG Fruit and Veg has come out as Best Garlic in Stroud Green (25p for a medium size but satisfyingly firm bulb, very affordable).  Ayub's garlic at Organic Fruit and Veg comes in well but for a much bigger outlay (81p for an absolutely massive rock solid bulb, three times the size). </span><span style="font-size: 10pt;">Very encouraged by Ayub's comment: "We take our garlic and ginger very seriously." </span><span style="font-size: 10pt;"> </span><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;"><br></span></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;">Regrettably Bridget's garlic at Deli at 80 failed, found to be old and soft, had to throw it out.   </span><span style="font-size: 10pt;">As far as I can see everywhere else (including the supermarkets and every other grocery) sell perfectly vile small garlic from China, distressingly tasteless.</span></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;"><br></span></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;">Taste test follows.  (Advise close friends to avoid sharing a lift for a day or two. Will report back.)</span></div><div><br></div><div><br></div></div>
  • edited January 2016
  • Good leaf n stalk spinach at most of the groceries too, needs washing, cheaper than Tesco