Basement conversion

Has anyone recently completed a basement conversion in the neighbourhood?  <div><br></div><div>We are considering having one done but totally new to this so reputable builders or feedback greatly appreciated.  We just had a quote for 3000/m2.  Does this seem about right?  I thought it would be much less than that but I could be mistaken?</div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div>

Comments

• They'll have to dig through three tons of clay which move about like mad. Good luck!
  • There's a few been done recently on Stapleton Hall Road and Hanley Road.<br><br>Walk along those roads and drop a note into the letter box of any you can see have been done recently?<br><br>Not sure where you are, but I think it will be a very challenging proposition on houses east/north of the Parkland Walk as the soil and typology is very different up there.<br>
  • It's pretty labour intensive, which drives up the cost a lot - every ounce of the stuff they excavate usually has to be dug out & removed manually. If you haven't already, maybe also get a quote from Purkellys - I got a quote from them some years ago which I thought fair (not cheap, mind!), & they seem to be fairly local (reg. office on Victoria Road).
  • edited January 2016
    Excellent basement conversion at 60 (I think) Mount View Road.
  • I guess it will be expensive as you have to stop the house above falling down and keep out the wet
  • edited February 2016
    That price sounds about right - if you get an extra 30 square metres, that's the equivalent of about two double bedrooms - or about £150k to £200k worth of property when fully done.<div><br></div><div>We are on Hanley Road in a flat with the basement converted. We didn't do it, was done when it was converted in the early 2000s. We have two double bedrooms and a bathroom down there.<div><br></div><div>The  south side of Hanley Road houses are well suited to it, due to the original basement layout. Pretty sure most have full height cellar under hallway and a half height already there under the front rooms.</div></div><div><br></div><div>As Ali said, there are two important things. Keeping the house up and keeping water out.</div><div><br></div><div>I'd recommend doing lots of research on the latter and I believe the best system now if starting from scratch is those that use a waterproof membrane behind the internal walls. Allows water to flow down the back of it, into a channel and then drained out.</div><div><br></div><div>This is much better than the old-fashioned tanking method.</div><div><br></div><div>Check out <a href="http://newtonwaterproofing.co.uk/basement-waterproofing">Newton Waterproofing</a> and <a href="http://www.deltamembranes.com/">Delta</a> for information.</div>