Chips, real chips

edited May 2021 in General chat
The Quality fish bar is no more, any recommendations for a local fish and chip shop that does proper chips?

Comments

• Well that sucks.

The only other decent / proper one is Chip Inn on Holloway Road.

If you like chips and curry sauce then Fisherman is a good option, it's wonderfully old skool as well.
  • Tollington's (Tollington Park) is great. After going there, anywhere else will be a big disappointment.
  • It’s a shame about the Quality Fish Bar. I had some very good fish and chips there, generously portioned and moderately priced, and the service was always friendly. However, in keeping with the rule for sit-in chippies, (the better the fish and chips, the worse the tea) their tea was an utter abomination!

“Real” chips? “Proper” chips? Hmmm. Somewhat subjective, and no doubt influenced by the nature of the chips one grew up with. After all, consider that there walks the earth people (I know at least.… er… one) who believe that a relative of the chipped potato called a “fry”, widely distributed by the Clan McDonald (no doubt in revenge for Glencoe), is the very pinnacle of pomme-frittery. I shall sidestep the sort of detail in the informative (but by no means comprehensive) Guaridan article linked above (thanks, @krappyrubsnif) and spare you accounts of my sporadic and generally unsuccessful skirmishes in the kitchen to make chips (I find consolation in my mash, which I find so delicious that I’ve eaten it until It hurts to walk). Yes, I know I’m waffling, but that’s because I’m working up to address… the elephant in the room!

That pachyderm-in-camera being the most Stroud-Greeny place to consider for chips: Chippy, after all, IS on Stroud Green Road. So what’s wrong with their chips? Are they really so bad that I’m the first person to mention them here? I’m sure that’s not the case. I admit that they get soggy very easily from being wrapped to take home, but they can be crisped up by ten minutes in a hot oven, or (better) five minutes in a air fryer. They taste fine to my mind. Am I missing something?
  • i like chippy... really pretty good = tolling ton never been that great when we've been
  • edited May 2021
    Tollingtons have definitely upped their game in the last couple of years in my opinion, from memory the parents used to run it and now it is always the young cheerful guy (son?) on the front counter and much better.

Chippy is not great at all, I think that it has a different owner now for what it is worth and has got worse.

I really want to try the roti place further down but never seem to be in the right place / mood for it.
  • Nothing wrong with The Chippy. I remember back in the mid, or was it the late, 1990s a previous incarnation was done out in salty seaman props complete with glass aquarium tables complete with swimming fish. The Chippy’s haddock and chips is a fine meal. Of course nothing beats both been fried to a golden crisp in beef dripping. Indeed, another previous incarnation of the same establishment used to do this under the banner I believe, if my addled memory is working, of something like the Scottish Frier or some sort. Not unlike the famed Fryers Delight in Holborn. A crisp acidic pickled onion or large gherkin, or if you will Walley, cuts through the rendered bovine fat. Truly a surf and turf delight...
  • I think the salty seaman place was called Captains
  • Yes I do believe you’re right Ali. Seem to recall that the Friesian fat fryer had the tag line of...’Fried in the Scottish Tradition...”
  • Not sure they did deep fried pizza