Seeking Chess Club for 8 year old - Ukrainian refugee

#chess #chessclub #learnchess

Does anyone know of a CHESS CLUB in Stroud Green (or anywhere locally, N4 N8 N16) that will take a keen, promising 8 year old boy? He is an (accompanied) Ukrainian refugee now hosted in Stroud Green and needs to continue his hobby and make new friends.

Alternatively, any chess enthusiasts willing to step up and play the occasional game, obviously in an agreed safe environment with parental / host participation / oversight?

#homesforukraine #RefugeesWelcome

Comments

• Hi, it might be worth contacting Stroud Green School to see if they can put this child in touch with anyone. The school runs a weekly board games club and there was talk of also starting a chess club. https://www.stroudgreenprimary.com/Contact-Us/
  • Thanks Eliz. I've drawn a complete blank everywhere else. Islington N4 Library has a chess club on Wednesday evenings but won't allow an eight year old in (even if he were a chess prodigy it seems) *sad face*. I'm told there is a club in Wood Green Library, so I will take a look. I'll check out SGS. Multiple retweets have led nowhere.
  • grennersgrenners Ferme Park Road, N4
    Hi. Our son is half Ukrainian..... we live on Stapleton Hall Road. George is 6 and a keen chess player although an 8 year old may have the better skills. Anyway it might be useful for the Ukrainians to hook up and if the chess doesn't work out they can play football in the garden. My wife Maryna says if it's of interest please send her an email to margo.hk@hotmail.com
  • Ooh yes please @Grenners. It turns out the lad is seven and a half, not yet eight - his chess is promising but not at really advanced yet - and he certainly would enjoy a kick about. I'll be in touch!
    Sounds like a plan. Look forward to hearing more.
  • Sadly, @grenners, there's been no response to my email - perhaps it went astray. However, I have got the lad a free place at a childrens chess camp in Swiss Cottage later this month and there may be a place for him in Stroud Green School chess club from September. So all is not lost.

Meanwhile, to repeat, if anyone else locally fancies a game of chess with an otherwise unoccupied seven year holdUkrainian refugee over the summer, I would be delighted to meet and host.
    I think the email went to junk! Maybe a reply now.