Stroud Green - RIP

It must be obvious to anyone that this discussion group is in its death throes.

Stroud Green, as a place to live, is also dying. Stroudgreen.org has been killed by the pandemic and WhatsApp. Stroud Green as a place to live has utterly changed with gentrification and house prices, it is no longer the interesting, liminal, edgy, slightly-nowhere, between-two-worlds, but feisty and proud neighbourhood I came to live in. What is now lacking is a clear sense of local pride and community, history, culture, of the area's unique place in the North London world - 'The Triangle' as it was once known to some, or to others as a slightly magical black hole or Bermuda Triangle of a place, that sucked you in and never let you leave. Instead it is just another high street of coffee shops, bars, restaurants and estate agents with identikit schools, pubs, supermarkets and shops, interchangeable with any other London high street.

The annual summer vandalism of Finsbury Park and official acceptance of anti social behaviour on the streets, beyond the purview of living rooms dominated by Netflix and Deliveroo, only makes it worse.

I regret this.

Time to get real, close this bulletin board down and reflect the new normal.

Comments

• But then where would we post such thoughts and misgivings?
  • Accepted, the fact that no one's posted in response speaks volumes
  • I know what you mean. I've been here for 19 years and it has changed. My little street has slowly been taken over by highly paid professionals who barely glance up when you walk past, let alone try to engage. But there are enough families and people who have lived here for decades, and SGR is still full of independent shops rather than chains (just a shame about M&S and Gail's by the station). The Triangle may be gone but while it had character – the upside down room on the ceiling – it was rarely full and was always bewilderingly expensive; and has been taken over by a local family…
  • I miss having a natter with Kieran, who ran the dry-cleaners for years, now another hardware store - anyone seen him recently?
  • edited July 2023
    The area was called The Triangle years ago because it is a triangular wedge of Haringey that sticks out into Hackney and Islington - hence a forgotten no-mans-land. There was even a regular community freesheet newspaper called The Triangle, run by a volunteer community group. Probably back in the 70s.
  • I imagine this has happened to most urban neighbourhoods in London in recent years. I’m third generation in the same house and just old enough to remember this area as far back as the early 1970s. Things do seem to have generally got worse, but the most radical change has been house prices, but that’s true of most of London, isn’t it? So many houses have been turned into rented flats, so history and culture are less likely to appeal to a transient population. And who can blame them? Who has the leisure time, what with the struggle to earn enough to pay your rent? Communities are no longer as stable as they once were because of this. I’m probably moving out of London this year, but not by my own choice, and I will miss the neighbourhood, despite all its faults. All the things that pass overlap with newer things, so there’s a continuum of familiarity if not actual continuity. On the other hand, change seems to accelerate…

I remember The Triangle as an irregular circular. There was also The Daily Twit and The Daily Rabbit. The Rabbit didn’t actually exist, and the Twit was certainly not daily but both titles were used for humorous spoof headlines fly posted around the area, particularly Crouch End. Probably from the same publisher, as they were alike in style.
  • Might all be true. Sad. Lots of different forces have had a harrowing effect on community identity and indeed general mood and state of the streets, not specific to Stroud Green. Walking around feels like more of a bummer when Wireless is on, and there are some places where I feel the council could have done more in recent years, like sorting out the dead zone around the car wash on the way out of the station. I have groundless hope that in ten years some of the damage of the past 13 years will be undone and Stroud Green will be becoming known for its pubs and healthy arts scene ...

I really enjoyed your blog post on the Mayor of Stroud Green by the way, krappyrubsnif.
  • >>>> "I really enjoyed your blog post on the Mayor of Stroud Green by the way, krappyrubsnif."

Thank you kindly, RobS. Indeed, the almost complete lack of interest in the story of the Mayor this year is one of the things that got me thinking about this community. In the spring I 'reached out' (to use that awful term) to many local people and institutions about the anniversary - the Stapleton, other pubs, friends, local music types, Stroud Green Facebook page, this discussion forum, the Stroud Green WI, people I knew were interested in history, Twitter, Instagram - and in most cases met with indifference, a shrug, blank incomprehension and usually no response at all. So very different from 2011 and 2017 when the Mayor was very definitely FUN. OK, it may be a niche thing, but something has definitely changed.

I may go and toast the Mayor next weekend but on present form I very much doubt if there'll be anyone else there.
  • @krappyrubsnif

Perhaps I’m missing something, but I can explain my lack of interest in commemorating the anniversary:

It seems the SG Corporation was an eating and drinking club for the well-heeled, spoofing civic corporations, and taking the piss with mock formality. A joke that seemed to endure for a few decades and taken as far as having that (admirably crafted) badge and an anthem composed, but eventually died its natural death. A reasonably interesting bit of local social history and mildly amusing, but is there anything more to it than that? Surely just the occasional regurgitation of the story is sufficient commemoration; why should anyone be interested in taking it any further?

Off to dry me blanket!
  • edited July 2023
    @Scruffy

You are absolutely right. It's a niche interest. It was a lockdown project that became a quest, a kind of detective story or a treasure hunt. It was successful beyond my wildest dreams, turned up a rich seam of never-before-seen material, all kinds of bonkers stories, vivid detail (a previously unknown song specially written for the local pub for God's sake - you can't imagine how exciting it was to locate the original manuscripts and even the tune in the British Library, felt like Indiana Jones). Very satisfying. I admit I may have become a bit obsessed. I'm delighted to have published the story in the Hornsey Historical Society's magazine and the London Historians website. Spotting the 250th anniversary seemed like an opportunity to share it. But it's not for everyone.

Some places celebrate and even thrive on the old stories, but I can see that's not the way in this area

The Mayor has given me a lot of fun, but you're right, time to move on. I will raise a final glass to toast Mr Legg on his 250th anniversary at the Stapleton in ten days time (do come along, Scruffy), but after that I'm going put him back in his box, bury him deep and open a different chapter, and you will never hear from him again.
  • edited July 2023
    @krappyrubsnif I also enjoyed reading all about the ancient corporation and Mr Legg via your blog and the Hornsey Historical Society's magazine, I wanted to reply from a desktop as opposed to my phone (as I'm doing now) to avoid typo's but hey ho.

I was particularly interested in where the badge was found before it was presumably donated to the museum?

Anyway I will try to attend the 250th anniversary, I may not sing the song pre-libation but after a few light ales it's highly possible.
  • edited July 2023
    @HolbornFox

Thank you. No plans atm for any singing (there are two songs) as I couldn't find a musician - unless one comes along. I'll ask around again. Know anyone? The second, newly-discovered song has never been sung since the 1780s I'd guess. The tune and words are on Twitter. It would be nice to give it a whirl.

The badge apparently turned up decades ago in an antique shop, Brighton I think, and was left to the museum in a bequest.

See you then. No agenda. Justice, Truth and Friendship!
  • I do know a musician who lives in Stroud Green and doesn't read these boards, is it on a piano?

I'll dig out my tricorn hat.
  • edited July 2023
    @HolbornFox

Guitar always works, a local musician advised me accordion would also work well. I'll find the videos again and post a link. The tunes are dead simple, once people have got it they can just belt it out - drinking songs after all.

I am updating a countdown on Twitter, hashtag #StroudGreen1773.

I actually literally got a tricorn hat off Amazon today.
  • What is the date and timings for tyis?
  • @Ali

Sunday 23rdJuly, 7pm. No specific agenda, but toast at 8pm.
  • edited July 2023
    Brainwave! I am rebranding the Mayor of Stroud Green next week as a "best Stroud Green joke" competition. A few jokes to open and then a Toast, possibly one burst of the Stroud Green Song, and the floor is open. For me dinner shortly after somewhere else

Bring your Stroud Green one-liners to the Stapleton Tavern on Sunday 23rd at 7pm for the "Toast to the Mayor" event. Best joke wins a pint from me. #StroudGreen1773

I was having a pint in the White Lion last week when Sans-Serif, Helvetica and Times New Roman came in. Sam yelled "Get out! We don't want your type in here!"
  • When I returned to London from Berlin in 2010, I noticed how Stroud Green had changed. But it wasn't until Sainsbury corner shop by the Triangle, SGR and Lorne road, that the rot set in. Starbucks, and on and on. The platform at The Faltering Fallback. Development round the station. Liminal Stroud Green was now a developers wet dream. The housing co-op I lived in which was self-financing at this stage couldn't afford to buy a house to sub-divide into flats when it cost a million. Cost a a quarter of that in the 90s.

Even before Brexit despairing of London I moved out of SG to Ireland. Housing is shit here but it's more progressive and we don't have Rishi Sunak teflon salemans PM. Watching a C4 interiew the other day, it's all about the economy with with pay rises and NHS. What a sad soulless man.

Ireland has its housing issues but odly is more progressive than Brexit UK. More secular, Still the Church have too much influence.

I enjoyed SG in the 90s and 2000s but it's become a horrible soulless place now. RIP as KRS rub sniff says Things change. I miss my housing co op flat but you have to let go sometimes and move on. I'm much happier. I've had plays put on stage in local theatres. Written a novel, I need to re-write over the next year. Life is bad but mostly good.
  • edited July 2023
    @kreuzkav

I had no idea you had left. I always suspected I knew who you were from the clues in your frequent rants - in SGR opposite that Turkish wine bar Chapter One - basement flat down the steps, but never had the nerve to ask. Now I realise I've not seen you for a while. Good luck in Ireland. Well done with the plays and novel mate.
  • edited July 2023
    It certainly did feel different at that end with The Larrick, Woody’s and Chapter One at the crossroads, I also think the Delivery app drivers using SGR as a commodity to sit, chat, smoke etc. before zooming off at high speed / volume also does not help one bit.

I have started hanging out in the rebranded Tommy Flynns (back to The Hercules again now) a bit lately.

It’s a sun trap, they have great live music and someone will definitely talk to you whether you like it or not, me and SWMBO have had some great chats about the old country and everything else with the old boys, you can’t get cask but the keg is well kept and not extortionate.

And this is the thing, I have had to go to three funerals in the past few months, all of which have been old characters from the manor passing on.

Said old characters are replaced by faceless people in nice shoes who look like they would really rather live in Canary Wharf or the new Battersea development, talking to the likes of me is simply not an option.

-

Oh god @kreuzkav has left, Scruffy is threatening to leave and I have actually bought somewhere in Kent (but not left yet); who the hell is going to keep up the ranting in this place?
  • edited July 2023
    Not quite right KRS, but not far off. I do regret all the rants but I was right at the same time. Due to a lot of things going wrong and unresolved anger issues I carried on as I did.

In the last few years in SGR, I started writing, meditating. I did a lot more when I moved here.. I've done ten day silent retreats and other sorts of insight meditation. I even did 7 sessions of therapy about a year ago after a relapse into frustration. I was told by the therapist who was very good that I didn't have major issues just accept yourself. It was a bit more than her just saying this, but after those sessions I felt more at peace again and just realise I like exploring weird ideas like French theorists (Baudrilliard 'the iraq war didn't happen', yes it did, but he was highlighting that the media war overtook the physical on the ground war etc).

So now I have very little anger. None nearly.

Ok, this is about SGR. I do miss it but haven't been back since leaving. I was originally from Hackney/Stoke Newington and have gone there when back. A lot of friends moved from SGR over the last decade or more.

And I've met English people, no Irish roots like I have, who moved here after Brexit, and describe themselves as Brexit refugees and love it. One who has become a good friend of mine.,

Saying all this, I want to move again. A friend here says 'you have itchy feet' and he's right. But I'm getting old. Well into my 50s, so I'll enjoy the countryside, my books and cd/vinyl collection. Just need to get a better job.
  • @kreuzkav whereabouts in Ireland are you?
  • @kreuzkav

If you were a neighbour of Denise and Andreas (with the big black dog) you should know that Andreas has just died. He was ill for a long time.

Interested to hear about your meditation and mindfulness and retreats to deal with issues. Everybody has issues and everyone is different. Curiously I am currently on the curve of finding exercise is my best route to achieving mind and body harmony, reduce stress and peace of mind. So long as you can keep it up of course.
  • edited July 2023
    Was Andreas a shortish man who smoked a pipe. You'd see him on the steps smoking it sometimes. I think he did creative work?

Oh! I do long group hikes too. Four hours in the local mountains and sometimes longer during the summer in the mountains of Wicklow, Tipperary, The Burren, and maybe Galway or Kerry some years. Though this summer, after an amazing late May/most of June, we've had near constant rain for a month now.

I just do the odd meditation day now, and try to do 20 mins just breathing every morning, nothing fancy. It has helped me let things pass. Agree exercise is probably more beneficial for mental health, as well as physical.
  • edited July 2023
    Yes, that was Andreas

Stroud Green/Finsbury Park is so well connected. I'm on a train atm heading for the Kent coast to continue an ultra long distance walk that has so far clocked up about 300 miles via Winchester, Canterbury and Dover - now heading to Gravesend. I've lately taken to swimming a kilometre every day which has transformed my general health as well as mental alertness. Stopped drinking beer and gone back to painting.
    I'm going to be one those insufferable old buggers who goes in the pool at 6.30am and sleeps all day. Feel years younger though.
  • edited July 2023
    @HolbornFox Sorry, I just saw your message now. I live in Portlaoise in Co. Laois. Both parents were/are from towns near here. Never thought I'd live here, but it's a lot cheaper than Dublin and it's handy for the rest of Ireland. I also tired of cities a bit. But transport link are amazing here (for Ireland). I can get a train to Dublin in 40 mins. It also has amazing internet as it's on the main Dublin to Cork and Limerick axis so high-speed internet came here quickly. I work from home so it come in handy However, I learnt to drive the year before moving to Ireland. Passed second time (nearly on the first) at Wood Green Test Centre. It took 3 times for my ex. and she was about 24. And Ray Davis, about 8 times. I inherited a yaris off my mother. Not cool but a workhorse, Now 15 years old and not needing too many repairs. She had medical issues before reaching 70, the year I moved over and so wasn't allowed to drive it from then on. Handy for hiking and visiting her and nearby friends.

@krappyrubsnif Sorry to here of Andreas' death. I only spoke to him when he and other neighbours started petitioning for the Sugar Lounge to manage the noise.

I did part of the Thames walk from central London out to Henley. Taking the train to Richmond and getting the train back from various stations. I'd do about 4 hours or so at a time, depending on stations. I think by Henley, I realised it would be a bit of a trek out to stations, and if I was to carry on I'd stay in a b&b,and do two stages at a time, But I was happy with getting to Henley.

I did the New River in a few stages. A lot more convenient but doesn't have as interesting views along the way.

And yes, FP has amazing transport links. One of the things that has improved from what I see on here. One of the things I miss about cities is public transport. In fact, cities are more eco in my view. Rural and small towns more cars, more pollution etc.

As I said I work from home here over the last few years, so don't drive too often. On extended lunch today. One of the new things which comes with age is I now need reading glasses ( for about 4 years) and I'm typing this in bed and can't be bothered fetching them from the sitting room. So excuse any typos, especially commas.

And anyone hear from Checkski ? The last he said on here, that he was going to live in some type of community house.

Are the brothers in Jacks still keeping on?

And Jai Krishnas?
  • edited July 2023
    @kreuzkav

Am I getting confused between Chapter One and Sugar Lounge? Weren't they the same place?

Checkski (Michael) probably won't see this, he's getting older and I doubt if he goes online any more. He went to live as a brother in Charterhouse in Clerkenwell and hates it, but he's around in Stroud Green most days, I see him either in the Brick and Olive cafe or at the bus stop. I'll remind him of you next time I see him.

The Jacks and Jai Krishna still going strong.

Nice to know there is life beyond Stroud Green.
  • edited July 2023
    I thought Chapter One and Sugar Lounge were next door to each other?

Am I dreaming or was the colourful building opposite The Granary some sort of a bar on the ground floor as well?
  • All seemed fine with the Singh bros when I went to Jack’s the other week, though I never see both of them the at the same time these days.

What of Stalinist Steve? Is he still around, anyone?
  • edited July 2023
    Chapter One started around 2003 and had music but had proper security who didn't allow people to shout their heads off for hours outside . It closed and Sugar was there in 2010. I wasn't around for a while but I think it started then. They just had a free for all. When neighbours complained they occasionally had security to ask people to be quiet outside as in not shout. I went to bars for years, inc. late night ones and you had to come in from the beer garden at 10, not be out with pints or other drinks but come out to smoke a bit of air, a quiet chat. I didn't smoke but often went out and had a quiet chat outside with friends who did.

Sugar Lounge had a limited licence which we only found out about later but they kept going until 4 am in the morning. So all the youth who wanted a late night drink congregated there and it was a free for all. Luckily my bedroom wasat the back and I was usually in bed by 11. I feel blood pressure rising. Better stop. Really horrible management who when a few of us met them, told their friends in the nearby shop I was a complainer and the main man told me this when I went in shortly after the meeting with SL management.. Avoided the shop for about a year but it was handy and when I went back he lost his attitude.

People defended them on here but they had no respect for the neighbours. No one was a nimby. We were happy with Chapter One but Sugar Lounge took the.....

All in the past but what a bunch of ,,,,,, And bullies with the whole trying to shame me with their nearby shop friends. That was the measure of the management.

And Andreas was one of the neighbours who met them in their bar. Total lip service plying us with wine. Next time we met was in the Old Dairy. Just the neighbours, and soon after they lost their licence, which was a sham .

Again we were on a main road and didn't complain about buses, footfall but people screaming late evening /early morning was grinding.

And I ran a club with a few friends in the 90s in Hackney. Amhurst Road. Big rave night in Trendz, usually at that time a dancehall venue. In the 60s owned by the krays. We hired 3 security, one who we knew and his friends. Big burly guys but gentle giants who could step into action if needed. They made sure no one shouted outside. I think we had one complaint about a couple walking up and down having a row a b it further up from the club but were then told to cool it and from then on the security made sure people stayed outside. They were paid 150 for the night which must be 500 now, but it was an all nighter with about 700 in it. Never had an trouble but I guess it was E time. Well worth the money. That's what you need outside a late bar. Probably don't need to pay them so much if not an all nighter.

When I said I don't get angry anymore, I meant to correct. I just don't get angry and hold it. As a certain local FP singer say's 'anger is an energy'.

I just realise why I did lose it in the past. It's gone now. But a bit of SG history.