Stroud Green - RIP

2»

Comments

• Yes I remember the shop, Stroud Green Food Store, suffered a mysterious night time burglary when all the valuables (drink, fags, high value goods) were nicked, and went out of business and closed down two days later. I don't know why they didn't just set fire to it, like in the Sopranos.
  • edited July 2023
    He always insisted on giving me a blue plastic bag. Even before the shaming. Despite a few items. I'd say no need, he scowled.

Do you remember the bigger shop that was just up a few doors heading towards The Old Dairy, in the 90s into the 2000s. Lovely gentleman in a white coat. Perhaps Greek

And of course before Stroud Green Food Store there was the the Indian/Pakistani couple who ran the newsagent. I remember a notice on SG Forum about his funeral cortege stopping outside his shop on the way to his funeral service.

His kids getting out and shaking our hands. End of an era. About 2011.

I'm getting nostalgic now.

Next I'll be going on about the queues outside La Porcheta in the 90s, when you'd see some minor celebs salivating at the smell.

Or when there was a rave in the pit in FP with no damage to the park and any litter picked up by organisers.

• The lovely gentleman in a white coat. Perhaps Greek. That was Peter who died quite a few years ago. He was Cypriot. His shop is now a Chemist and Michael who used to run the photo shop works there. It is the place to get your pasport photo. He knows all the regs for all sorts of countries.
  • edited July 2023
    Thanks Ali. I think it turned into a chemist about 15 years ago. Maybe more. I got photos taken with Michael for a passport when he had the place across the road from me..(the photo and print shop) . I think it closed when I was still living there.

Now my memory is triggered. For a while there was a shop across the road from me that sold kitchenware. I bought an Italian style stove coffee-maker there. Then it had silver foil over it for a year or so. It appealed to my imagination as I imagined it as Andy Warhol's Factory on SGR. Warhol had the interior of his Factory covered in tin foil. Sorry, silver wallpaper. I can't remember what the shop on SGR functioned as, and if it functioned when it has silver paper on it.

It's all a blur now. Was I still there when the Stroud Green Food Store closed? What was in the Factory before it was a hardware store where I bought my coffee stove maker? It turned into an estate agent before I left, I think?

• edited July 2023
    I remember Peter but I don't remember his shop at all. Michael at the Chemist originally worked at Sparks, tiny shop, great little place, the electrician's in the building behind it, Sandilands, had been there for 100 years and installed most of the wiring in Stroud Green when electricity first arrived in the area - only closed down recently. Don't recognise the shop where you bought the coffee maker.
  • Oh, yes! Sparks (No. 1 shop in Stroud Green). Sorry, bad pun on Sparks the band's song 'No. 1 song in heaven'. Red frontage but got re-jigged about 2010, year zero for re-jigging for me in SG. I think it was a slower process than 2010.

Spark was upgraded about 2010? maybe later or before? When did he start working in the chemist?

Is the dry-cleaners near Sainsburys on the five-ways top of SGR near The Old Dairy still going?
  • krappyrubsnif, an excellent little celebration for the Mayor of Stroud Green in the Stapleton. Well done and thansk for arranging it!
  • @Ali thanks for coming and for your kind words, and @HolbornFox splendid to make your acquaintance. Hats off, sir! Do you think it was about 30 people? Just the right crowd for a rookie attempt at stand-up. Justice, Truth and Friendship!

I had a call from the London Palladium this morning. They've booked me for Christmas.
  • Oh well, that will be a Pantomime!
  • I counted 60 so there was more than likely 30 people there.

You could do a 10'000 person stand up show in Finsbury Park and be the local pariah.
  • I was going to do a joke about Finsbury Park and Wireless, but then I decided ... it's no joke.