fishmonger

benben
edited May 2009 in Local discussion
Has anyone else tried the new-ish fishmonger on Seven Sisters Rd, opposite the Tesco Metro, just by the tube? I've been there a few times and think it's pretty good. The guy who runs it is from Afghanistan, which is landlocked, and based on his cooking advice I'm not convinced that he eats much fish himself. But it's good value (cheaper than the place on SGR), and the guy often throws in a few prawns if I buy other stuff. Worth supporting.

Comments

• edited 5:13PM
    Yep, my mum has been to it a few times and has also said it's pretty good, and cheap. I keep meaning to try it out, but then forget it's there.
    thanks for that, I will try it, I keep going to the one on SGR but Im always disappointed.
    walked past the Seven Sisters shop on Saturday and there was a truly rotten smell coming out of the place...
    Man to Fishmonger "Got any mussels"
    Fishmonger "Doesnt look like it!"
  • FinFin
    edited 5:13PM
    The Fishmonger on Stroud Green Road has definitely improved in recent weeks. New display, new produce and most importantly new found enthusiasm.

Had a chat with the owner yesterday, he admitted things had slid for a year or two (family problems apparently) but now they're back fully committed with new ideas, suppliers and products. Worth supporting.

Oh, and the fish I bought for dinner was excellent!
    Definitely back to it's best. And top-notch cooking tips too ...

There was a BBC film crew in a few weeks ago for one of the weekend food magazine shows...
  • edited July 2009
  • FinFin
    Previous guy, yes. New guy, far from it.

Like I said, it's all change there recently.
    Pleased to hear this place has improved. Was a regular customer until I bought some dodgy swordfish a couple of years ago. Have been tramping over to Crouch End ever since.

Look forward to giving it another chance.
    New guy is the owner - Thierry, also of Chez Liline next door. He put 'miserable man' in to cope with the workload of running two places through some shitty family stuff but has now got more focus on the fishmongers and has really put some effort into turning it around.
    I've bought a few things from the guy on Seven Sisters and always been very good. The prices are very reasonable, especially once you have been two or three times. It's well worth supporting - unless you want another mobile repair shop opening up!
    Was 'miserable guy' the large smelly one? Check out staff in Tesco used to groan and put their hands over their nose when he would shuffle in.
  • AliAli
    Has anyone eaten in Chez Liann next door since it started its set meals ?
    We had a lovely set lunch there yesterday. Highly recommended if you like fish.
    I feel sorry for the little man, I hope he has managed to get a job somewhere. I used to go in because I felt sorry for him and wanted to keep the shop going. The fish was very stale with blurry old eyes.

He wasnt very chatty - I hope he is ok!
    Are "the little man" and "the large smelly man" the same person? Are you a giant Bridget and is missisclack a dwarf?
  • edited July 2009
    I AM AN ENORMOUS DWARF.

Now I've worked out who is who. 'little and miserable' & 'BIG AND SMELLY'. I think that little and miserable didn't speak great English. BIG AND SMELLY (AND DIRTY T-SHIRTS, SOCKS, JOGGING BOTTOMS AND CLOGS) put me off buying and eating anything.

My friend (a local-ish man) quite fancies Thierry.
  • edited June 2009
    Anthony Bourdain says all fishmongers are miserable. Butchers, on the other hand, are always jolly chaps. Well, that's what he says in Kitchen Confidential. Or was it the other book?

I'd be miserable surrounded by dead, smelly fish all day. Whereas chopping a cow to pieces with a meat cleaver would make me grin like a lunatic.

Probably because I am, in fact, a lunatic.
    phil, i'm with you aaaall the way... :D
    There's a nice article about the fishmongers on Stroud green Road on http://www.yourlocallondon.com/editors-blog/finsbury-park/
    France Fresh Fish is excellent, the owners are very helpful and friendly. I bought a live lobster the other week which was amazing. I did try the one opposite mini Tesco on Seven Sisters, but when I got home the fish smelt of bleach, I think it had been cleaned in a way to increase its shelf life, it was nasty and I threw it away. France Fresh Fish every time.
    I went in FFF last week with the best of intentions. However, the smell of funky fish put me right off. I jumped on the W7 and went to Purkiss's in CE and bought a lovely fresh sea bass.
    A few years ago before I lived here, I knew someone who used to rave about a fishmonger down this way - Steve Hat I think the name was. Has this gone, or did I get the wrong end of the stick?
    Steve Hatt Fishmongers
    88-90 Essex Road
    Islington, London N1 8LU
    Tel: 020 7226 3963
    Steve Hatt is on Essex Road, about half a mile north of Islington Green. His fish is very good and very expensive but no better than Purkiss's in CE or Waitrose for that matter.

The queue outside SH's on a Saturday morning is comical.
    We vote for France Fresh Fish - and Chez Liline! We had the £10 two course lunch special today. It was wonderful and made with fish from their shop next door.
    I've always supported FFF, but worried about the 'tropical' nature of some of their produce. Some of it looks like it should be on a coral reef and not on SGR. You can't go wrong with a mackarel from there though. Purkiss rules supreme unfortunately, but the Purkiss men do a grim line in acne.
    Should fish shops smell fishy? A relative told me that clean fish shops don't smell of fish, and that a smelly fish shop is a sign of poor hygeine. Is this true?