Islington council: Crouch Hill improvements/ Hanley Road 20mph zone

124»

Comments

• RegReg
    edited 8:06PM
    Humps have already started going in on Thorpedale. Are there any 'bad democracy' awards that we can nominate Islington for?
  • IanIan
    After all that the Government are changing the rules so you don't [need the humps](http://thegovmonitor.com/world_news/britain/getting-safe-20-mph-zones-in-britain-without-adding-the-speed-humps-18829.html) They might still have decided anyway I guess.
  • edited December 2009
    I now have a speed bump right outside. I was obviously delighted to find than when a decent size lorry bangs over it, it makes the whole building vibrate. So thank you, Islington Council, for accelerating the cracking in my plasterwork. Just to recap, this is the consequence of a decision that: - most people, when asked **didn't want** - that **doesn't work**, as average speeds are shown to barely be reduced by bumps - that **wasn't needed anyway**. because there have been no accidents in this area Useless. Simply hopeless decision-making. I'm probably going to write to the Audit Commission and Local Government Ombudsman. Anyone else I can vent my weary frustration upon?
  • RegReg
    Turns out that it was all about being able to be the first 20mph borough. Wait till they come knocking for the votes they care about then shout "I'm not listening, LA LA LAAA"
  • edited 8:06PM
    Papa L's post on the other thread reminded me of this. After four months of having a speedbump directly outside our flat - what's happened? Anything bigger than a car going over the speedbump (transit van, tesco truck, bin lorry) shakes the back our house. There are cracks in the plaster on nearly every wall in our bedroom. It often wakes us in the morning. Our quality of life is worse. So I'm obviously delighted that Islington Council's ego trip of being the first 20mph borough was satisfied in the face of all evidence and public opinion.
    Can you sue?
  • RegReg
    Similar story Andy, definitely cracking in some of the plaster. Nothing worse than a van Duking it over and now I get to hear the cars accelerating at least three times down the road before they disappear. From memory of the exchange of e-mails at the time the transport planner said that there is some recourse if you experience physical damage. Perhaps some group submission in the next week or so copied in to the press, might have a good chance of being picked up on? All those who want in say "AYE"
    We have a similar experience of speed bumps on fonthill rd. Although these are older than the ones affecting you guys, the house shakes everytime anything larger than a normal cars speeds over it. We're in rented accomodation so haven't paid too much attention to any new cracks over the years, but the back of the house definitely has a lot of substantial crackage.
  • IanIan
    What I find most odd about the whole farrago is that they haven't even bothered putting in a 20mph limit.
    is your house falling apart too?
  • IanIan
    I have cracking plaster but to be completely honest I'd not be certain enough to blame the bump. If I'd have thought about it I'd have consciously looked and then been able to judge. The bump is by nextdoor rather than directly by mine and we are probably not as much of a rat run as Eversholt so I am not getting shaking building like you seem to. I get the noise though - particularly when vans go piling down the road unconcerned about their companies' chassis. Constant acceleration, deceleration.
  • IanIan
    I take it all back - my house is shaking like hell every time a big lorry goes over it. Must be having an effect on my plasterwork. The pointless bumps may be good for cyclists but they are pretty good for speed merchants in company owned vans and aren't bad for cars. If they are going to persist with these bumps, the 20mph zone and shaking of my house they can start blimmin well enforcing it. Get that smart car outside my house and start trapping speeders taking fliers over the bumps.
  • AliAli
    Seems like there is some evidence that 20 mph without extra traffic calming can work <http://lydall.standard.co.uk/2010/10/debunking-the-lies-20mph-zones-do-make-roads-safer.html>;