Sainsbury's is coming to Stroud Green Road - Woody's is going!

Comments

• edited 7:59PM
    Hello everyone, first time on the site, but lived on Hanley Road since 2006. Got to say that i'm devastated about Woody's changing to Sainsburys. Its certainly got its shortcomings, and i won't argue against other peoples experiences, but its an independent colourful business with character that adds something to our area. It makes me really angry that our local high streets are all just becoming masses of chain stores bringing nothing to the party. OK, so chain typically means better value, but it also means corporate, faceless, passionless, profit machine. Just look at the how the agressiveness of the multiples has completely changed the face of local London? Its all just merging into the same offer, different location. Even eating out's the same now, although not so much in SG. New development = Nandos, Mcdonalds, La Tasca, KFC, GBK, Pizza Hut.....all pre-cooked, re-heated rubbish at 300% mark-up. If a local business is good, support it, we need more Peteks, Papagone, Cats, Doktori. The continent do it, why are we any different?
    Business rates and utility costs are generally lower in Europe and produce is generally cheaper as not so much is imported so restaurants can turn out good quality food without being super expensive. Supermarket policies have led to a decline in home produced goods so we import more. The majority of English people only care about the price and quantity of food and not what it tastes like, so the restaurants that used occupy nice local spots have given way to the likes of Wetherspoons, Starbucks and other chains. If people were prepared to pay a little bit more for nice, tasty stuff and if business rates and rental costs were not so ridiculous we would have more choice.
    But the coffe would still be terrible.
    English or British? If we're going for the rest of Europe's marvellous argument, I'd plump for the latter because those Celtic cuisines are at least on a par with the English ones.
    I asked the guy behind the counter if they were being replaced by Sainsbury's and he said "no".
    That's about par for the service there. Did he also forget to give you your change?
  • IanIan
    edited 7:59PM
    You got someone to serve you at the counter? Or was he just hanging around eating and saying "I'm on my break".
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Yes, that guy.
    I'm going to miss Woodies, the Spahish Fluet D'olo, the great Turkish bread and my favorite Croatian chicken noodle soup. To hell with the corporations, long live weird small food shops. And dysfunctional Turkish punks rockers, maybe he'd been working all night.
  • edited April 2010
    Applications for the Sainsbury's unit have been submitted (it's on the applications list of SG.org). No plans online yet.
    Do we really need another supermarket? It wouldn't be so bad if it was a co-op, at least they have something slightly different to offer.
    Another supermarket?

We only have one. I can't wait as I hate Tesco food, as it's tasteless and you dont really go wow Id really like to eat that when you look around in there.

Im hoping Sainsburys have better quality food. Im sure they will and there are lots of things in Sainsburys. I wish it wouldnt take so long. I have the feeling it won't open it's taking so long.

Oh well.
    Sorry I meant to say, they have really nice thing's in Sainsburys that they dont have in Tescos.

Tescos just do one kind of bog standard gravy which is awful Sainsburys do different kinds for example.

Tescos dont sell Plum baby food wheras Sainsburys do. Sanisburys sell great tasting low fat crisps. Tescos only sell frozen yorkshire puddings and not fresh ones, Sainsburys do. Tescos have stopped selling smoothies for kids which Sainsburys sell.

There are loads of things I would like to buy there that Tescos dont sell and to walk there instead of driving is better for me.

I really dont think there is much choice around her by foot.
    Baring in mind the size of store I don't think you'll see any more selection Sainsbury, possible even less.
    I can't say I often buy gravy though, do people really do that? You don't make it yourself? Granted, if I'm feeling really lazy I'll use Bisto, but never buy an actual pot of gravy!

As for only having one, there are three a short walk/bus ride away in Crouch End and there are more on Holloway Road.
    Ha ha, no there may not be more choice but hopefully better quality.

I think a lot of people do buy fresh gravy as when I go to M&S on Sundays before it closes its all sold out. It tastes much nicer than Bisto, though there is nothing wrong with Bisto.

Yes I know there are supermarkets further away but on most days I have a baby in tow and a toddler and the pfaff and stress and not to mention dirty looks if I have a double buggy on a bus and then carrier bags to boot is not worth contemplating on most days.
    It will be like all smaller Sainsburys-more expensive and limited choice.

@Bridget
    As long as you're not trying to hoist a pram and shopping on to a bus in the rush hour you'll be fine. Everyone gives dirty looks to people who do that. It's like people who don't go to work and then choose lunchtime to go to the bank or post office!
    I'm loathe to comment (scared more like) but...I really like Woody's. I don't shop in there all that often but I've never had any problems, I think it's an interesting shop - or certainly could be.

On the snail front - I bought a mixed bag of three different types of lettuce from Waitrose on Holloway Road on Tuesday and we found at least two snails in amongst the leaves. We just picked them off. I don't think it's a comment on the standards of Waitrose and if it is it's a positive comment.

Also, if the rumours I hear are true we'll have Sainsbury's on one corner and some bank (think it was Barclays) on the other - and that's no good thing in my opinion.
    Surely there's already a Barclays within a few minutes' walk? I can't see they'd want another so close. Yes, I know there's another Tesco that close, but Tesco have a yearning for ubiquity which banks seem far from sharing.
    Barclays on the other corner? One of the pubs or the charity shop?
    Andy really? It's hardly a busy high street. I would be very surprised to see any banks opening on SGR.
    I heard a while back that Woody's was going to be Sainsbury's and The Old Dairy a bank (or vice versa) so I'm just assuming as it seems that Woody's IS going to be Sainsbury's that maybe The Old Dairy will become a bank. Could be totally off though, gossiping between shopkeepers passed on to customers type thing.
    A pub turning in to a bank? No there's a first.

I hope not though, I like the Old Dairy :(
  • AliAli
    The Drs Surgery next to Woodys used to be a Barclays Bank while the Chinese Massage shop used to be a Midland Bank, You can see it in the shop fronts
    Who opens bank branches? Surely there haven't been any new bank branches since 1988.

Coming soon, a video shop.
  • Tish and nonsense with a big bag of bollocks thrown in. Old Dairy a bank? The building next door used to be a bank.

I used to get food delivered by Riverford, and Abel and Cole. Organic lifestyle shit -- basically carrots. So many fucking carrots you'd need seventeen horses just to finish them each week. And the veg was full of snails or slugs. I didn't mind that that cos, like, you know, veg comes out of soil and a bit of a rinse should make it edible; doesn't really need to be gassed by a shitload of Zyklon B before it reaches your plate.

But I'm fussy.
  • Dammit, will Sainsburys be open at 1am when I'm drunk and want coconut milk and cola bottle sweets?

Will it f*ck. DEATH TO BIG BUSINESS EXCEPT THE ONES I DEAL WITH, THEY'RE ALRIGHT.
    The licensing application suggests 24 hour opening, but no booze sales after midnight.
  • IanIan
    So Sainsbury's will be open at 1am. Now all we need to ascertain is whether Gas Powered Ninja will be drunk at that time and whether Sainsbury's will stock basic food products. Me - still can't wait for it to open. Hurrah.
  • Crucially, will it open Xmas day etc like Woodys? The Sainsburys near my parents house in Norwich is closed on every major christian holiday.

Ian - I would be. All my best shopping is alcohol induced.
    will miss some of the groceries that only Woody's has, but really looking forward to a cash machine that doesn't charge you and cleaner floors