Sainsbury's is coming to Stroud Green Road - Woody's is going!

Comments

• IanIan
    edited 8:11AM
    We went last night and I didn't want to give them money even at a huge discount. Now I think they are just dragging out their closure to taunt me.
  • edited 8:11AM
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    There were dozens of jars of diabetic strawberry jelly. What possessed them to think they were going to shift so many jars of it in the first place?
    any sign of the stuffed lambs?
    So,

Mourning Woody's is now boring ...'the king is dead ... long live the king! ... When does the'King' Sainsbury store open?
    Wow just walked past woodys. The stench is rank rotten. Must be some meat or rancid olives going on in there. Pity whoever lives upstairs.
  • IanIan
    Perhaps they left some fish behind the radiators a a parting gesture?
    maybe it was the sheep heads. did anyone ever buy one?
    Never. DO you thinkn they'll use the downstairs as a storeroom? Or will it be a dual level supermarket?
    Ok, I'll bite - what do you do at work?
    I think Misscara may be the caterer/restauranteur anongst us? One of the many MissXYZ on here is!
    Three skinned sheep heads? The Christmas Grotto at Wilkinson is going to be a bit Tim Burton this year.

Or is that someone else?
    You're confusing your cara with your annie. Whole different kettle of fish.
  • edited July 2010
    Oh how I would love to do a Tim Burton style grotto but I'm afraid it 's traditional all the way for Wilkinsons. Generally my customers aren't that dull. Perhaps I'll hide a token sheeps head under Santa's chair.
  • IanIan
    edited July 2010
    I emailed Sainsbury and asked what sort of store it would be and what sort of stock it would have. They emailed back the following, which isn't greatly enlightening but I thought I would pass it on. The edited bits are mainly about me lobbying for North Staffordshire Oatcakes to be stocked...: <snip> Our Stroud Green Road store will be a Sainsbury’s Local, with products tailored for top-up shopping and convenience. It will have a range of fresh produce too. This is the only information I have regarding the range of stock we will be providing. <snip> I’m grateful to you for taking the time to contact us as your feedback helps us improve our products and services. We look forward to seeing you in store very soon. Kind regards Aileen McGoogan Customer Manager
    Anyone have any idea when they are going to start doing it up? Walking past Woody's reminds me of the other year when they were filming 28 Weeks Later round here.
    @ Ian, I'd like to know what they said about staffordshire oatcakes... although I assume it was a resounding "no"...? My dad (who is from Stoke) used to give them to me for lunch topped with grilled cheshire or lancashire cheese... YUM. You used to be able to get them from Neil's Yard Dairy, but then they stopped stocking them.
    Take one oatcake, cover in grated cheddar, cover with another oatcake and microwave for 30 seconds.

serve with a pickled onion and a cup of tea. mmmm.

Tesco direct is my only source down here..
  • IanIan
    @Colette - they said they would pass my comments on to the buyers who would consider it at their next review. My mother is coming down on Saturday from Stoke. She always brings a pile for our freezer. I've even made the batter myself before now but if @Slats is correct about the Tesco direct I may have a new supplier.
  • edited July 2010
    Tesco direct? excellent. Maybe we could all lobby sainsburys... sounds like there's enough demand in the area for them to stock it!
    I love that we're lobbying Sainsbury's to carry oatcakes, when I couldn't ever persuade Woody's not to leave snails in their salad or give me the right change more than one time in five.
  • IanIan
    It's customerservice@sainsburys.co.uk and my correspondence was with Aileen McGoogan, the Customer Manager. @Poxy (or 'Phil' as I shall nickname you from now) the deal for passing on the email address is that whatever you lobby for you put "and North Staffordshire Oatcakes" at the end ...
  • edited July 2010
    I've just emailed to ask for Borders Dark chocolate ginger biscuits (they are totally scrumptious) and I've done the "and North Staffordshire Oatcakes" thing. It's a bit like writing to Father Christmas.
    You can buy Borders dark chocolate ginger biscuits in Londis on Ferme Park Road. They are yum indeed.
    Somehow oatcakes don't taste the same if they haven't been hard to get hold of (ie going to Stoke yourself or having someone visit you from there).

I like mine with eggs and bacon, rolled up.
    I'm glad we can all rally round oatcakes. That said, none of the Stop the War posters have yet come on to describe a negative, oatcake related experience they once had whilst leafleting.
  • IanIan
    edited July 2010
    @Andy, I believe North Staffordshire Oatcakes unite people and can transcend factional divides. On recipes... We used to get them at break time at school - rolled with cheese in and warmed up in the ovens, the simple classic. My mother always indulges me with bacon, cheese, tomato and mushroom. I'm happy to just chew on them as is though - I used to get a bag from Sainsbury's in Muswell Hill before playing golf to help me get round. For a quick breakfast I just toast them and put butter on.
    @ Ian. Write to Justin King. I did when we had some gammy fish. The store didn't want to know. He wrote back with vouchers galore!