Missing Cat.Large long/medium haired Tabby: FOUND SAFE

Comments

• edited 3:43AM
    Its not really an accusation. I'm much more black & white on here than in real life. Its because i can be that way without having to deal with the real outcomes of my opinions. In this case, i doubt Arkady would have rolled up to dbopenlock and said "heh, i know you're feeling down about your lost cat but here's a f*cking funny poster of a cat with three legs...and the owner can hardly write as well. Bet that brightened your day.....good luck with the hunt. See ya" To SG viewers (and in insolation) it's quite a funny, and relevant post by Arkady, but at the same time its forgotten that the originator of the post (dbopenlock) has set up the thread to help their cause to find their pet not to get the latest observational cat humour from the area. I can see why they didn't find it funny and got upset. A little empathy doesn't hurt in my opinion even if they do kick off on you. I don't think dbopenlock is being overly sensitive at all, its an important issue to them right now and in their opinion someone else was taking the piss. As for Arkadys response, i suspect its laced with sarcasm...but because its a forum not a conversation down the pub (it would be an odd one wouldn't it), we'll never know. Good luck in finding the cat.
    dbopenlock

Sorry not to have read this part of SG.org before. I think I've seen your cat hanging around my house. Next time I see him, I'll check for the micro-chip you mentioned. I'm on SGR, by the way.

That said, you've gone so utterly over the top with Arkady, I'm really not sure that *more* cat exposure is really what you need...
    (When I say microchip, I mean collar. It's been a long day.)
    @dbopenlock: Full marks for passive aggression, but no thanks. To quote David back in the heady days of 2009:

“I've no intention of coming in and introducing myself … You sound like you want to smack me in the face, and I can't see what else would be achieved.”

I genuinely hope that your cat returns soon in good health, and that you consequently feel less angry. Maybe one day we’ll meet up and be friends.

@:Brodiej: I promise you my response was entirely sincere. Which just goes to show.

As an aside, I honestly think that if I had lost a pet* – a situation I have been in before, so I know how it makes one feel – I’d still find that poster hilarious.

Arky

*and I had a dog too, which counts, like, twice as much.
    @Arkady
    I was hoping we could have a discussion that's all, do give me a ring so we can meet up as I would like to talk with you. Arkady is an unusual name, I will ask around, maybe we will bump in to each other, that would be splendid
    You see there's part of the problem. @dbopenlock, your earlier post did rather sound like you wanted to smash his face in. Which you'd probably now be entitled to do, given that he's diss'ed your missing cat with his missing dog.
  • edited May 2011
    Given that you seem to think that a joke (albeit insensitive) could ever merit attempts at intimidation or violence I’m pretty sure that I want nothing to do with you. But I still hope you find the cat. To cheer you up, here’s some links to my favourite cat videos: This cat *always* comes back! Classic animation at its best. < Which cat is guilty of knocking over the pot? < Given the impending threat of being hunted down and killed I shall try to make this my last post in this thread, but no promises. PS - Arkady is a very common name ...in Russia
    Oh Arkady, I was so on your side with this and now I'm just torn between thinking you're insensitive & antagonistic or really really funny.

This thread got ridiculous very quickly.
    The one good thing about it is that it's keeping the lost cat post at the top and so marginally increasing the chances of Grizzly being found.
    I think Arkady is funny but slightly insane (in a good way).

He might have come across a touch insensitive but I'm pretty sure it wasn't malicious.

I have a cat too and found the poster funny but it may have been inappropriate for this thread (I'm always up for a funny cat thread).

I do hope dbopenlock finds his cat and I will keep my eyes peeled around the area, good luck!
    Having had the great pleasure of getting to know Arkady in real life I can tell you that he is not of diseased mind and is very definitely not mentally retarded. I think that everyone understands that you are distraught about your missing cat and I'm sure that no one intended to distress you even further. As Arkady has said it is entirely possible to find that poster funny and also to empathise with the way you are feeling. In the same way that one can be utterly grief stricken at the loss of a relative but still find a funeral in, for example, Six Feet Feet Under amusing.
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    @miss annie
    That's fine. But I think comments like these should be posted on another thread, not mine. My thread is solely for the purpose of finding my cat Grizzly who is missing.
    If Arkady had started his own thread, perhaps entitled "disabled cats are hilarious" that would be up to him. Then you, miss annie, along with Arkady could laugh as much as you wanted at missing disabled cats and post on this forum as you pleased. That is your right in a free society and on an excellent forum like this, but do not expect me to laugh at disabled cats, ever.

Arkady's comments have distressed me that is why I have requested them to be removed. They may not be removed but I think they should be. I am searching for my missing cat and offering a reward of £200 for his safe return, me and my Brother are in the Islington Gazette today and have put many, many posters up and leaflets through letterboxes. The search continues for our cat Grizzly. That is what this thread should be about.

It should not be about people like Arkady and miss annie, people like you who think it is fine to make fun of disabled animals, people like you who think it is fine to post the things you post on a honest and decent thread like this, start your own thread and leave me alone to continue my search for my cat Grizzly.

I thanked you, miss annie for keeping an eye out for my cat, I take that back now, I don't want any help from someone who thinks missing disabled cats are a joke and funerals are the stuff of humour. There are enough good people on here who are looking out for Grizzly and I am sure they will also keep an eye out for the 3 legged cat that has gone missing. I am not without a sense of humour, even a dark sense of humour, but it is best to laugh after the tragedy has been, not during it.
    I posted my phone number and invited Arkady to phone me so we could meet up and talk, I would have said to him what I have expressed in this post, no more, no less. He has nothing to fear from me, posting youtube video's about cats for me on this forum, while I am searching high and low for my cat is beneath my contempt.
    Gosh. I sometimes chuckle at people tripping over in the street or walking into lamp posts too.
    I don't think anyone was laughing so much at the three legged cat as the wording of the poaster - "can't climb and can't get out of things", which appears to be deliberate humour on the part of the cat's owner. As for ownership of the thread - I'm not sure where you stand on that. You started it, but the community has ownership. If it chooses to take the subject area into the fall-back best pizza in SG debate, then thats the nature of the forum. There are no rules saying it must be kept on theme. In the same way I might post a morris dancing convention poster on the same tree as that of a missing cat poster. You don't own the tree. Everyone really wants the cat to be found, however.
  • edited May 2011
    dbopenlock: if you can find a thread on this forum which has stayed rigorously on topic, then it will either a) be at most three messages long or b) concern the eternal pizzeria dilemma. I hope your cat comes back hale and hearty, but your worry in the meantime does not rewrite the rules of the internet.

edited to add: sincers posted while I was reading the past couple of days' worth of the thread, but I like that we both mentioned the pizza debate as totemically Stroud Green.
    @misscara

Thanks for your kind words and for looking for Grizzly.
    I just wanna get this straight, Disabled missing cats can be funny, but I took issue with jumping on someone's cry for help. But this thread has gone big big big time. Well done everyone. It is the epitome of why a few people post a billion times a day, and some just dip in and out. @Arkady You are right I did make fun of the way you dress, even though I've never met you. I can't be sure it won't happen again. But I didn't do it when you told us you had lost your cat or your nan had died or something funnier I (AM STARTING TO) LOVE N4 (AGAIN)
    Good grief. So, it's after midnight and I've just got to this. Reading through the thread, it seems that everyone has started to see each other's point of view, so I'm not sure how one would constructively moderate this even if we were inclined to. Arkady, as is often the case on the internet, would rather be a smartarse than kind (there's a good [Jeff Bezos speech](http://www.businessinsider.com/we-are-what-we-choose-2010-6) on this) but that's a pretty common response on the internet and something I'm often guilty of. db reacted pretty fiercely and personally, but I can understand that because if anything happened to my dog you would get no sense from me and god forbid you made a joke about it. So all I'm prepared to do is say I understand both sides. I have neither the time, the inclination, nor the authority to pick a goody and a baddy here. You write things down, you're accountable for them. What you write reflects on you. If you want things edited, ask that person nicely. If you feel you've been insensitive, recognise that. Yet again, I offer no more moderation than a request to act like grown-ups. There are real people on the other side of the screen. Far less than the wisdom of Solomon, this feels like a bad primary school assembly address. The important thing is the cat. (And db, it's probably a good idea to edit off your mobile number).
    Hi all
    Just signed onto the site and saw this thread ! Can" t stand the thought of someone losing a pet !
    Things seem to have gotten out of hand here, what i fail to understand is , what is it in some people that makes them laugh at other peoples tragedy??????? I really don"t get this !!

If Arkady found anything remotely amusing about a missing cat post, why did n"t he keep his non funny humour to himself !

There is a saying.... .... There"s a time and a place.... It would seem that Arkady does"nt know the time and does n"t know his place !!

I would advise db not to rise to pure ignorance and it is obvious that anything said by db was born out of nothing but provocation.

really hope Grizzly returns safe and sound db......i will keep my eyes open.
    I have a cat myself and I am terribly sorry for you. I will keep my eyes and ears opened and I am sure that a pet lover find your cat they will not want the money. Moreover I agree with you that a lot of post were completely inappropriate. Good luck.
  • edited May 2011
    I'm super surprised no-one has posted [this](http://www.27bslash6.com/missy.html) on this thread. I think it is super relevant to the original post and ensuing discussion.
    Actually I did think about it. Just didn't dare after the ensuing 'discussion'.
    I once lost The Democratic Republic of Timor-Leste in a game of cards, I understand your moggy pain (please dont bite me)
    @Tosscat. Laughed til I cried. (Still looking for Grizzly though)
  • edited May 2011
    Great news, our cat has turned up safe and sound with his original owners. We are very pleased that he has turned up safe after being missing for 15 days.
    We would like to thank all the decent people on SG.org who have kept an eye out for him and have offered us help and advice on finding him.
    Good news. Just out of curiosity, how far away was that (and how long ago did they own him)?
    If you put posters up then please do what I saw once and slap a big 'found' banner over the top, then a week later go round and recycle them all. Good news.
    GREAT news dbopenlock , cats really seem to have amazing survival instincts :)

We found the little 3 legged tabby this morning when doing our front garden hiding in a bush at the side of my bay window ( she is back home now with her very sweet owner doing well). I was particularly surprised to find her there as both our dogs regularly patrol the window one even sleep in it . I guess she must have realised they would be unlikely to attack her while helping keep other cats/foxes at bay.
    Toddlesocks - out of interest, would you have known who to contact about the three-legged tabby if I hadn't posted a picture of the poster? I'm hoping for some cosmic irony. Great news about the four-legged cat.