ajani-grill restaurant and jazz, Hornsey Road off the Tollington Park

Comments

• edited 4:13AM
    Gentrification probably isn't the word for what I'm describing. I'm lamenting the arrival of big chains in an area (SGR, Tollington, Hornsey Rd) which has so far been blissfully free of them, Nandos and Tesco on SGR excepted.
    The thing is that if you live, as I have done (in the past) on Hornsey Rd, it's a pain in the derriere to have only corner shops and mini marts to shop in.
    As a Hornsey Road person, I am overjoyed at the notion of a proper Tescos for exactly the reasons Miss Annie puts. Means I might be able to get decent fresh fruit and veg. I like the mini marts but they don't have everything. It does seem that Hornsey Road is finally improving. Having been here for 15 years, I am glad to see it. It started with the dalek shop, the doing up of the Hamlet cafe and then the bike shop. All we need is a decent bar although my hope that the Plough will become a gastropub might be wishful thinking.
    a tesco's will also mean a cash machine that doesn't charge which is sorely needed round that area.
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I should imagine that people have built up relationships with the shop owners on the road so they will still go in for their daily paper, cigarettes, beer, lottery and bits and bobs, but use Tesco for their bigger shop. That's what seems to happen on Stroud Green Road anyway, which now has two chain supermarkets.
    Hornsey Road needs a Boluangerie Bon Matin I reckon
    Back on topic. Please go to Ajani. It's nice and it's brave of them to open on what's still a grim bit of the Hornsey Road. And no, I'm not connected to them, I just would like to see them do well.
    Yes. I know there's a dearth of decent shopping on Hornsey Road/Tollington but there IS a decent chemist - the 'Chemitex' Pharmacy. Nice people, really helpful.
  • DKLDKL
    edited 4:13AM
    Finally I got to ajani on last Saturday. It was five of us. The portions are humongous, we had a proper fist of food. The service is good and whole ambiance of this restaurant is very cosy. And we are saying that the restaurant does not look busy but actually it is. When we were there there was as well party for, I believe, more than 12 people. And I bought a 20 pound voucher for 3 course meal and glass of wine for its Grand opening event on 21st May with LIVE Jazz music. Great offer.
    Went there tonight again and was (again) suprised that there is a decent restaurant on the Hornsey Road. Huge ribs and better fajitas than the Mexican place (not that that was bad). Anyway, this is to say that they'll be doing live jazz every Saturday night and that they have a facebook page:http://www.facebook.com/people/Ajani-Grill-Jazz-Place/100002395770482
    I rate Ajani. The chef does a damn good job there. Their fajitas are superb. They care about what they do and everything is cooked to order. Worth a look for sure.
    Morning, I have to join the praises for this place, as the food is really delicious! definitely recommend. Have veggie fajitas, which were very tasty :)
    In further news, Ajani are now doing a set menu for 6:50 Monday to Friday. Plus I notice that the new building now has a sign up saying that the shops are to let. Misscara, have you heard anything more about the Tesco's thingy?
    After wanting to get there for ages finally made it to Ajani on Tuesday.

Really good. Great hospitality, tasty food and cheap.

I had the best rack of ribs I have had in a long time and £11.50 for a full rack with chips and salad

The £6.50 weeknight two course menu is amazing value - my wife had chicken wings, a hefty portion, followed by a half rack of ribs.

A definite thumbs up. Highly recommend a trip down there to support it. Apparently the live jazz is on Saturday nights, if you fancy that.
  • edited August 2011
    Alanji - this place was a real surprise. We went there last night and were blown away. The food was great and very good value. Succulent ribs, spicy wings, massive and very good fajitas - a bit southern USA, a bit Mexican, a bit Caribbean, some African, big portions and all seemed very fresh and cooked to order.

I particularly liked the attention to detail, everything beautifully presented, service as good as a restaurant costing twice as much.

It's a jazz place - dark walls covered in photos and jazz paraphernalia - with a New Orleans or Left Bank feel. The Nigerian chef-owner Patrick is obviously a real jazz fan, and was telling us about growing up listening to Feli Kuti. He seemed to have a genuine enthusiasm for getting the food right as well as the music. It was Saturday and there was a jazz duo (sax and piano) who were pretty good.

The only sad thing is that we were the only customers the whole night yesterday, which was amazing and tragic considering how much effort the guy has put into the place and what good value it is - I couldn't believe no-one else would want to go and stuff themselves on a Saturday night at only £6.50 for the two-course menu special, with live music thrown in.

Go and check it out - it's in a difficult part of Hornsey Road and I'd fear that unless he gets more customers, he's not going to last. He deserves to be supported. I'll definitely be going back.
    Yes! Could we have the next WI meeting there?
    Please do Misscara, it is fantastic, much better than the Mexican that we all flocked to when it opened.

And remember people you don't really have to do any of the bleak Hornsey Road to eat there.

A nice stroll down the pleasant and leafy Tollington Park, or cut through the period charm of Corbyn and Thorpedale and then down Wray Crescent. Cross the road and you are in - minimal Hornsey Road travel required.
    can have a pint in the Plough too... or then again maybe not.
    I'm planning a visit before my next trip to the N19.
    Plus when you're there it doesn't feel like being in a struggling place on the Hornsey Road. Don't go there out of generosity, go there because it's a welcoming, romantic place with damn fine food.
    They have a Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/people/Ajani-Grill-Jazz-Place/100002395770482

A Twitter page: http://twitter.com/#!/AjaniGrill_Jazz

And a website here: http://www.ajanigrillandjazz.co.uk/

...with lovely music, but somebody needs to sort out the site for them since it doesn't appear anywhere if you Google them. I think it's because the page title is just headed 'home'....is there a net wizard who can tell them how to optimise their site?
    Excellent value for money, delicious food and good service. They deserve to do well. I'm just worried that they might geta little lost on the Hornsey Rd. Anyway, I recommend everyone to give it a try. I'll be going again for sure.
  • RegReg
    edited 4:13AM
    Just got in from a night of great food and nice live jazz piano.

We ate like kings; large appetizer platter, two main courses and four beers for under £40. Huge portions, and with a table of 11 getting stuck in, a family of three, a couple and a singleton it was nicely busy. The live music is a welcome addition.

We recommend it and it deserves support for being different, independent and jazzy. Will be going again.
    I finally got round to going and can add another hearty recommendation. We had the £6.50 special menu and it was amazing value. I had the bruschetta which was extremely flavourful and packed with garlic - delicious! I also had the ribs, which were a generous portion and extremely tasty. I am currently groaning and clutching my stomach (in a happy way). For 3 of us it was just £21 and the options for non meat-eaters were good too.

The guy running the place (and cooking?) was very friendly and welcoming and I can't wait to go back and sample more of the menu.
    Third visit from me and still delicious. Am torn between feeling i'm so full i never want to eat again and wishing i could have some more ribs.
    What a truly excellent little place. I simply cannot understand how they can put so much food in front of you for a mere £6.50. Three succulent chicken wings to start, followed by a perfectly cooked and seriously meaty rack of ribs. In a strong field this was one of the best experiences I’ve ever had with a baby pig. Home made peri-peri too, in two different strengths. Yum. The proprietor & chef, Patrick, is a top man. As a Nigerian who loves jazz he is obviously a Kuti-obsessive, and we chatted about the extended Kuti family for a while. He described Hornsey Road as ‘a wasteland’ and recognised he was taking a risk, but thought the area had potential to improve. He had looked at places on SGR and Seen Sisters too. Business is ‘going in the right direction’ apparently (he illustrated this point by pointing surreptitiously at a return customer, who happened to be krappyrubsnif), and he hopes to be able to have live music more often in future. He came out afterwards to ask whether everything had been OK; what a nice man. He deserves to do well. Do go. Arky