ajani-grill restaurant and jazz, Hornsey Road off the Tollington Park

Comments

• edited 9:28PM
    (the bruschetta was gorgeous too)
  • It was a bit of a SG.org experience last night Arkady, wasn't it? Seriously yummy once again. Try the cheese next time - whopping plate. I was introducing it to my mate from Tufnell Park who lives almost exactly the same way away in the other direction, hopefully he'll put the word around.

One of the problems is getting there, as there aren't any cross-directional bus routes between Stroud Green-Hornsey Road-Tufnell park except the 210. I had to get a cab but it was still well worth it.
    Had I known we would have pushed you, or carried you in a Sedan chair.
    Saturday night it was rammed and the music was good £70 for 5 with wine was value.........fun
  • @Arkady -Sedan chair yes please, would v much like to cut a dash that way.
    They're pick of the week in the islington gazette too.
  • edited September 2011
    And there's a wine tasting this Friday:

AJANI GRILL invites all wine, food and jazz music lovers to its WINE TASTING NIGHT on FRIDAY 30th SEPTEMBER 2011.
    There would 8 variety of wines from different regions and marching finger food, selection of breads and cheese on offer @ £20.00 per head
    Tasting starts @ 8:00 PM
    There would also be LIVE JAZZ PERFORMANCE by two renowned artist James Gillbert (SAX) and Yul Emirali (PIANO) who has been compared to a cross of Art and Thelonius Monk. Between 8:00-10:30PM IN THE INTIMATE SETTING OF Ajani Grill Restaurant.
    BOOKING MUST BE PAID IN ADVANCE.

I'm not sure about marching finger food, but if it's as good as the usual stuff it's worth chasing.
    We went tonight. It was bloomin' great. Go! Detritus says that if you don't go he'll come and loom at you or stand outside your door looking untidy or something. Now, that should be enough to get you on your way.
    Went last night and thought it was brilliant. Think the location will be the downfall though which is a real shame.
    Or it could become the first place to be saved by micro local social media.
    Let's hope so!
    went again yesterday, food was really really nice plus lovely wine. Hope this place stays! spread the word:)
    I went here for the first time on Saturday and it was lovely, good food, big portions, nice wine and good value. I will definitely be making this place a regular visit :)
  • edited October 2011
    Sounds like we all went on Saturday! My review.... The place Its a shame they have the shutters down all the time, as its a nice space inside and it doesn't sell itself when its not open. Inside, its small with a music stage near the front door, lots of pictures of famous jazz artists from around the world. They've done a nice job, lots of little touches everywhere that make you like it. I liked the old tv on the bar (dont worry, its not on!) The food Mix of Caribbean and Tex Mex. Pretty reasonable prices, and i saw the midweek "meal deal" for £6.50 which is obscenely cheap. I had fajitas, which were good although i felt a tad hungry at the end. It was definitely fresh, and the chicken good quality. Really enjoyed the cumin rice i had with it too, although the extra bowl meant that that took my plate count to 7 for one dish! The service These guys are friendly and initially enthusiastic, but a little slack too. Our wine was rose, yet served at room temperature. We ended up getting ice cubes put in it! Didn't get offered any desert or coffee, couldn't be arsed asking for it either so we paid up and left. Our overall experience We enjoyed it. The food was good, but not amazing. The ambience was nice, although the musicians couldn't read their music because it was darkish so it sounded a bit haphazard at times. I just wish they'd been a bit more attentive. Its a slightly risky venture because of the location, and they need repeat custom to survive.
    I guess we all saw each other because there was only about four tables in at most...agree that the service wasn't amazing, but it was friendly enough. Tempted to go midweek but put off at the thought of sitting in an empty room.
    I've been midweek a couple of times now when I was feeling too lazy to cook and I did worry about being the only person, but it didn't happen, they seem to be getting at least a couple of tables each night. Maybe I was lucky, I guess.
  • I've also been a handful of times during the week and I've never been the only person in there.
    I have. Was good anyway. Had the exact repeat of Arkady's conversation reported above (easier that way). He didn't tell me his name though.
    We went during the week again last week. For a bit we were the only ones there and then after that not. Didn't matter when we were the only ones, as it has a nice intimate atmosphere anyway thanks to the decoration.

Again, food was great. The bruschetta was fantastic, ribs were top notch again and £6.50 is a steal. And Patrick is a really nice bloke.

Ajani has definitely jumped into my favourite places to eat list.
    I was there last Friday , was great .. nice place ,,lot of pictures , great food . The waitress was charming and very friendly .. I will definitely be making this place a regular visit :)....
  • <span class="Apple-style-span" style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); "><font class="Apple-style-span" face="'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif"><span class="Apple-style-span" style="line-height: 20px;">Went to Ajani last night and it was absolutely fantastic in every way, except for the lack of other customers. If you like it, spread the word and write a review for Google: </span></font></span><a href="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=ajani+hornsey+road&fb=1&gl=uk&hq=ajani+hornsey+road&hnear=0x47d8a00baf21de75:0x52963a5addd52a99,London&cid=0,0,16185659686023380756&t=m&z=16&vpsrc=0&iwloc=A" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; outline-width: 0px; outline-style: initial; outline-color: initial; font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; vertical-align: baseline; text-decoration: none; color: rgb(99, 127, 68); border-style: initial; border-color: initial; line-height: 20px; text-align: left; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); ">http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=ajani+hornsey+road&fb=1&gl=uk&hq=ajani+hornsey+road&hnear=0x47d8a00baf21de75:0x52963a5addd52a99,London&cid=0,0,16185659686023380756&t=m&z=16&vpsrc=0&iwloc=A</a>;
  • Helllo SG -ners, Finally I found the courage to add a voice to this forum and I want to say BIG THANK YOU all for the comments and support. I also  want to share the news about Ajani's  Valentines dinner. We will be serving 3 course dinner (menu for this special evening can be  found on our website) and Live Jazz entertainment with amazing jazz pianist Estelle Kokot. <div>     <div> <div><br><div><br></div></div></div></div>
  • <p>Welcome!</p><p>Your place is fabulous. Look forward to coming again soon.</p>
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Fantastic meal on Friday night.  Best value in London.  And lovely people too.  Patrick's a hero.<br>
  • <div>Hi Patrick-at-Ajani's</div><div><br></div><div>Thought Estelle Kokot deserved a preview, so <a href="http://thehornseyroad.blogspot.com/2012/02/valentines-day-plans-how-to-make-them.html">here</a> it is.</div><div><br></div><div><br></div>@Misscara - hands off. We need good places to stay on the Hornsey Road. 
  • Thank you all once again <div>@miss annie - we look forward to see you again</div><div>@Misscara - Ajani at Stroud Green Rd?????  you never know....</div><div>@Arkady- by 'lovely people' you mean the lovely couple who came for dinner on Friday night ?:) </div><div>@Mirandola - you are a real supporter of Hornsey Road, Thank you for the space on your blog about Valentine's with Estelle Kokot at Ajani's </div><div><br></div><div>Any way after months of speculations Tesco is definitely coming to Hornsey Road, they made an application to the council for retail of alcohol in their new premises 291/293 Hornsey Road</div>
  • I went on valentines day and had a lovely time<br>
  • Very excited to try this place after reading all the great reviews so just made a reservation for 2 this evening. There's also a great jazz duo playing tonight I hear.