Are you too scared to cycle in London?

Comments

• If a someone on a bike is caught jumping a red light then the bike is confiscated for a week, if they do it a second time then its a month. No amount of education will stop wankers going through a red light we already know it's illegal yet many people jump them and then get angry at car drivers. I have absolutely no sympathy for anyone who is killed or injured after they do something like that it's their own stupid bloody fault.
  • Misscara: that's awful. Particularly because you witnessed one accident first hand. It's one thing to read about it, but an entirely different matter to see it before your very eyes. What I hate most are those idiots who stand and stare. Gee, go and watch a horror film if you like gore so much, but leave that poor distressed person, suffering from pain and panic, alone.<br><br>Agree that raising awareness is the way forward.<br><br>Annie: I don't think I know that route. Sounds like it's working perfect. Banning large vans and lorries isn't going to happen and most possibly not the solution either. Besides, people need to drive lorries and vans through the city. You could as well ban cyclists from zone one during that time. <br>
  • I don't think it's necessary to ban large vans and lorries, but to install more cycle lanes like the one Miss Annie mentioned in the last post.  It's a great addition to London.  As most London streets aren't wide they should turn more of them into one way systems for cars, vans... and the other half, maybe not even that but third or quarter could be turned into two segregated cycle highways.  Oxford Street could have it's pavements widened, be one way or pedestrianized and the remainder used for cyclists.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • My cycle to work takes me along Tollington Park, hornsey rise, Islington (that lovely cycle route has been well documented here).  When I get to Holborn it all changes and even though I don't have far to go from there danger begins as it's where trucks, vans, buses start to compete for your space and all sorts of accidents can occur if concentration is low.  So it's here we need proper cycle lanes and lights.
  • There is no reason why lorries can't be banned during rush hour at least. They were banned from zone 1 during daytime for the Olympics with no detriment to , and no complaint from, business at all. @Stella that route is the easiest, safest and quickest into central London and avoids Holborn. Although I don't mind Holborn and love cycling though Covent Garden and Soho.
  • Interesting. Where can I find it? <br><br>Didn't know there was a ban during the Olympics, then again it's not surprising, I live under a rock. :-)<br>
  • edited November 2013
    I personally think motorbikes/scooters should be allowed in the ASL as all that happens when they are not is they filter up and then stop blocking cyclists getting through and leaving them in a more dangerous position. <div><br></div><div>As for cycle lanes I do think they should be separated by concrete  as a slap of paint on the road doesn't mean anything to motorists. </div><div><br></div><div>Lorries should be banned from central london. </div><div>I had an incident this week with a lorry cycling along holloway road, I was in front of a huge lorry cycling north. As we were coming up to the junction of Drayton Park and Holloway Rd where there is a traffic island so the road narrows (2 lanes to one) I was still ahead but the driver of the lorry decides to speed up and I luckily slowed down as he went through the junction the gap on the left got smaller with the back of his trailer completely closing this gap and myself coming to a complete stop to avoid collision. </div><div><br></div><div>The annoying thiing is I looked right at the driver over my shoulder while I was in front (I know he saw me) and quite some way from this junction knowing he'd do something stupid, only myself slowing down & stopping prevented myself getting squashed! As Stella has said in one of her posts if I I wasn't an experienced cyclist this could have been much worse as I anticipated this lorry driver was going to be a dick! </div><div><br></div><div>I think this video shows how scary it is when a lorry doesn't see a cyclist, it's called 20cm from death - <a href="">
  • I see no need for these huge lorries to be on London's roads. It's completely unnecessary and would be very easy to just ban lorries over a certain weight. <br>
  • Matt: glad you reacted quickly enough. Some drivers are just idiots. If I remember correctly, when I took my driving lesson, in the theory lessons they said if you cause someone to hit the brakes due to your acting, you've hindered that someone and have caused a potential hazard.<br>I've lost count of how many times I had to hit the brakes--sharply--because a driver thought he's quicker than me. Then again, I'd rather hit the brakes than trying to 'win'. <br>
  • Matt: just looked at the video. Gee, that would have been a fatal. <br><br>Something else I wanted to say: one has to watch out for cars or vans with hangers. I normally look over my shoulder to see if something's coming. So, as soon as the car's passed, I will changed lanes, but it happened every now and again, that I learned it's not only the car or van, but also a hanger. This can end badly. <br><br>Just a quick reminder (to myself, too) to look again to make sure the lane's clear and the driver behind you knows you're about to change lanes.<br>
  • Hope all you cyclists are making the most of this wonderful sunshine. Going for a little ride now. Better late than never, eh?<br>
  • Not all of them. There are ignorant cyclists, too. :-)<br>How's your bike doing?<br>
  • Thank you for asking Stella. Its good thanks. I nearly bought a new bike a couple of months ago as things kept going wrong but recently the bike has been on top form and a joy to ride. I should take it in for a service soon as I am now cycling 80-100 miles a week on it. <div><br></div><div>I got some new space ship type lights which are very cool. The create a laser type red light around me.</div>
  • Space ship lights, eh? Sounds good. I need new batteries for my front light. Your basic tune-up service shouldn't cost more than 30 or so. Plus some parts if they're worn. Do it rather earlier than later, for it's always more costly if parts brake. <br>
  • I know Stella. I will try and do it in the next week 
  • Good man. I'm soon starting to strip all my bikes (one after the other), apart from the Lococo, clean them, and then put them back together. I know Shawn (my very first Viscount) needs his brakes done as he's just got new wheels (I'm so proud as I built them myself). He's looking rather much like a proper Viscount now. <br><br>By the way: cycled in the rain/drizzle yesterday and really enjoyed it. It was so mild and I could have continued for another hour or so.<br>
  • That is so cool Stella. I really wish I could learn to do that. <div>There is something quite cathartic about cycling in the rain </div>
  • Wheel building isn't that difficult; it just needs concentration and consistency. Oh, and knowing 'how to'. <br><br>I cycled on my mamachari, so upright, but with rain coat and wellies.<br>
  • I think I saw you yesterday Stella at about 6pm cycling down tollington park, viscount blue bike, you were wearing just a jumper/jeans and your front light looked a bit dim. <div><br></div><div>More sad news at Bow roundabout again involving a lorry - <a href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-24925390">http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-24925390</a></div>;
  • Matt: Yep, that would have been me. :-) Next time call out and say hello. <br><br>I promise to change the batteries soon. <br>
  • It's really sad news that so many cyclists were killed. :-(<br><br>I think in many cases it's down to cyclists being inexperienced, which could be avoided. Particularly now in the dark, wet season.<br>Cycle slower, be aware of what's going on around you, look over your shoulder more often, make sure your bike's safe to ride (brakes, lights, etc.) ... <br>You'll probably think I think I'm invincible. I don't. One second of not paying attention and it can end fatal. Even the most experienced cyclists have accidents, but when taking precaution you can minimise the risks.<br>
  • Who does one contact about lines etc. in the road being repainted? The ASL on Stapleton Hall Rd - junction with SGR - is barely visible.
  • Stella you forgot wear a helmet, use lights. The woman who survived the other day was very sure that was saved from death by her helmet as well as the swift actions of those around her.<div><br></div><div>From the news reports it doesn't sound like any of the dead cyclists were inexperienced.</div>
  • 5th person in nine days. sad sad news RIP - <a href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-24936942">http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-24936942</a><div><br></div><div>I agree with Miss Annie none of these cyclists seem to be inexperienced. </div>
  • vetski: contact the transportation/highway department at Haringey. If you don't get any response let me know as I work with some of the transport guys there quite a bit.<br><br>Contact details on here:<br>http://www.haringey.gov.uk/index/environment_and_transport/roadsandstreets/road_maintenance/roads-and-pavements.htm<br><br>I know it doesn't say road painting on there but it is their responsibility.<br>
  • They may not have been inexperienced, but we also don't know what really happened. They now going on about making the CS safer, which is a good thing, but whatwho caused the accident? <br>In the earlier reports it looked like the cyclists were clearly underestimating the space a lorry needs to turn in corners, particularly tight corners.<br>I think the government should, in addition to making the roads safer, appeal to people's common sense. Maybe ads on telly, to show how lorries drive around corners, view angles of buses. Warning, warnings, warnings. <br>I'm still convinced that many of those deaths could have been prevented if the cyclists would have been more foreseeing. I may be wrong, but experience leads to confidence and confidence leads to cockiness. I know that from myself, I'm cocky at times and take risks, calculated risks, but risks nevertheless. <br>I cycled into the city for 2.5 years almost daily. I never felt unsafe.<br>Long story short: I think the government should start advertising everywhere, to make people aware of the dangers, important to those who are new to cycling and also those who aren't, but to remind them.<br>
  • It really winds me up that the cycling lobby are crying and moaning about the 5 deaths on the roads over the last week. I will only feel sorry for the people killed if it turns out they didn't jump red lights. If they did jump lights then it's their own stupid fault. Cyclists have to learn that they are not the only road users and that they have to obay any and all traffic laws. It really is that simple.