SGR Tesco - check the use-by dates!!

2»

Comments

• Closed tills will be their fault. They have quite a lot of staff there if you actually look around and count them. How they are used and what they are tasked with is the shop manager's decision, he seems to have more staff allocated to stock rotation than tills.
  • Do the jobs not have different skill sets I would have thought the guy who organises the shopping baskets could not operate a till or are all the people multi tasking, multi skilled ?
  • Their 'special offers'on alcohol are often grossly misleading. I recently bought a good brand of spirits there yellow-stickered as '£3 off', only to discover that the regular price at Waitrose/Ocado for the same bottle was £3 *less* than the Tesco sale price. In other words I was £6 out of pocket. I don't buy spirits that often so I was just suckered. I never bother with the 'bargain' wines there for the same reason and I try and avoid shopping at Tesco altogether - certainly not 'fresh' veg if I can help it. By the way Ash has a very good range of apples in.
  • The problem with all these shops (m and s , sainsburys the same) is doing away with people and intro of dalek voiced robots. They make enuf profit to employ a couple of min wage ppl more in each store. I would like to put the Tesco board members as unidentified items in the bagging area, raise a mallet studded with rusty nails above their smiling heads and bring it down with considerable force and say softly 'every little helps'. People not Robots. Chang
  • I'm not sure Miss Annie. There's is never a staff member around when you cannot find something.
  • Yeah Krappy. They had cheese at half price the other day. The same brand in Lidl was 50p cheaper and not even on offer.
  • Just a horrendous shop. Shelves continually empty - especially in the bread section - something out of 80s Russia.. If they had some real competition apart from those two expensive Sainsbury's at either end of SGR then they'd soon buck their ideas up.
  • edited December 2013
    There are great independent butchers, fishmongers, greengrocers, off licence, all of these are better than Tesco in most ways. Still people choose to support and give their cash to Tesco. Bizarre.
  • Problem is and has always been convenience. The thought of spending hours shopping fills me with dread.. But it doesn't explain why the SGR Tesco's is so way below par, and head office don't mind?
  • When I was a kid, Tesco's was considered so downmarket that my mother would only go in there for loo roll & Jif. Maybe the SGR branch is trying to bring back the 70s?
  • To visit all the independent shops for your shopping would probably take you half an hour at most.
  • Ahh Tesco, where you buy all your best clothes ;)
  • Ooh no, Sainsbury's is much better for clothes. Tesco knickers are very badly made.
  • I wish I could afford NOT to shop at Tesco... Other than convenience, it still remains much much cheaper than shopping at small independents shops... (except the fruit and veg shop which is cheaper and nicer!) but for meat for instance, the new Tesco Finest range is really nice and still cheaper than the butchers... I have been to a LOT of tescos all around London, and I really don't think ours is the worst !
  • Tony's butchers is a lot cheaper than even Tesco's cheap stuff and you are getting high quality meat at the former. I thought that new Tesco Finest stuff is fiendishly expensive.<br><br>Tesco Stroud Green Road is so below par because it has a captive market so no need to raise its game. Most of the group's resources go into the massive Tesco Mentals, or opening more convenience stores and it appears to be falling down on identifying what could be far more profitable stores based on disposable income and not taking advantage.<br><br>My suspicion is that Tesco categorises Stroud Green as low-end inner city deprived area, not spotting that actually it has also huge number of shoppers with high disposable income who will buy nice stuff. <br><br>It might be that the famed Clubcard tracking system falls down when it encounters the kind of young professional demographic that won't sign up to a Clubcard.<br><br>I shop as much as I can at our great independent shops but sometimes you have to use a supermarket.<br>
  • <P>I am now of the opinion that the mults have created an environment where people genuinely have no idea how much things cost. The movement from loose veg to prepacked (as well as making you buy an amount they want you to buy), takes you away from the £ per lb to a pack value. When they do a "2 for" you have no idea what you're benchmarking against. The price points suggest value, but the reality is that you're paying through the nose. How can the biggest purchasing power in the land have a price for onions greater than Ash man....well they do.</P> <P>My latest observation is on pre-packed meat. You'll see individual packs at £4.50, but on a permanent 3 for £10. On a £ per l/b basis you are still paying more than a local butcher, who will do the same sized pack (or bigger) for the same or less than £3.33. I'm currently buying from a place on Green Lanes. If you avoid standard chicken breast products and opt for stuff with bones in you'll pay 50% less than the mults. </P> <P>The marketing campaigns of all the big retailers hammer home a message of value, which most customers (i think) use to reassure themselves when they do their shop. The reality is that they're all playing the same game, and so there is no level playing field. The marketing campaigns of the last decade have finally turned us all into a nation of habitual buyers placing a large amount of trust that we're getting the best deal. The reality is that we're now ripe for being creamed for cash.</P> <P>To get to the truth you have to start taking note of how much stuff costs. Does anyone really think that a pack of dishwasher tablets can have a regular price of £14 when sold as a half price at a mind boggling £7. You'll be amazed how much you can save when you get savvy. </P>
  • Evidence in the book <i>Tescopoly</i> - which is an excellent read - showed that supermarkets were no cheaper than independent and local stores apart from on a few key items, and quality is often far lower. The main advantages are the long opening hours and having everything in one place. <br><br>Back to the subject of use-by dates, I once ate an egg that was seven months out of date. Tasted fine, but it didn't scamble properly.<br>
  • @Papa L What's a Tesco Mental? I'm intrigued! Tesco Double Cream is on offer at the moment. The special offer price for two 300ml pots is 3p more than one 600ml pot and I bet people fall for it without looking or checking.
  • Papa L speaks the truth about Tony's prices and relative deliciousness.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I saw this on Twitter earlier - 600 words from the Guardian on the horrors of the Tesco on Old Kent Road: http://www.theguardian.com/business/2013/dec/04/tesco-whats-gone-wrong-uk-largest-supermarket
  • edited December 2013
    Tesco Mental is the big hypermarket ones.<br><br>I believe the company calls them Tesco Extra.<br><br>Tesco has a bit of a conundrum going on that is a tale of how our massive companies have an identity crisis.<br><br>On one hand it is a mega business with margins and a share price to protect. On the other hand it is the UK's largest private sector employer and as firms go overall it treats its staff very well, is very good at promoting and developing them, and does a lot to raise money for local areas and charities.<br><br>Arguably once you end up with something like this it is just too big. Growth in a saturated market becomes impossible or deeply unpopular. So where do you go next?<br><br>@brodieJ, I agree. What I would add is that people nowadays don't like buying any item without a defined price on it, ie by the lb or kilo. People are scared of butchers, fishmongers and greengrocers as they think they will get to the till, have massively overspent and and don't feel comfortable handing it back.<br>