Please help me, I'm at the end of my tether.

Comments

• edited February 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited February 2014
    Well, then he probably just does it for pleasure. Good for me, so I don't have the fear of being made homeless suddenly. <br>Or there is indeed something in the contract/law that keeps him from giving me notice. From what I've been told, he needs to go through court and give valid reason. <br>
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Which are just now over. I've moved into this flat in August.<br>
  • I know. As I said, I think he quite enjoys this game (to him). Still, he needs a valid reason to get me out, even after the six months. That's what I've been told. My guess is that he must prove that he wants to move in himself, but that'll be a bit difficult. Whatever. I'll continue to search and hopefully find a nice landlord.<br>
  • You really need to be certain of your rights and not rely on hearsay. Have a read of the link that Misscara posted.
  • If you're on a standard Assured Shorthold Tenancy (which you almost certainly are) and the first six months are up, then he doesn't need a reason.
  • @Stella - Most private renters are on assured shorthold tenancy leases. Mine is a twelve month lease with a six month break clause. When |I first moved to London I thought this was just for the tenant, but it applies to both the tenant and the landlord in many leases. It depends on what yours says.<div><br></div><div>As the others have said, you need to be certain and check this. In the UK, the landlord doesn't need a reason to end the agreement, he/she is required only to give you 2-months notice. There's no court, no nothing, which is why renting is such crap here     </div>
  • In the first six months they do Joe V, not after that.
  • Miss Annie's right. 
  • Thanks for the clarification Miss Annie, so before 6-months the lease can be broken (with notice) but after 6-months a landlord can only re-claim at the end of the tenancy agreement (with notice)?
  • Generally contracts start with a fixed-term tenancy, usually six months but occasionally 12. During this time your landlord cannot get you out without good reason, eg you're not paying you're rent, you're wrecking the place, you've caused complaints from other tenants. Similarly you can't get out of the contract without good reason. <div><br></div><div>After this you go onto what's known as a rolling contract, where you keep all the same terms, but during this time either party can serve notice to end the rolling contract, without reason. Usually the notice period is four weeks. You can of course refuse to leave at which point the landlord starts eviction process. Your landlord can't force you to leave without an eviction order.</div><div><br></div><div>This man sounds like a nasty piece of work and Stella the sooner you find somewhere else to live the better. Good luck with your search.</div>
  • @Stella, I have a friend in Crouch End who's looking to sublet her 1B flat for a few months till her tenancy comes to an end. Might you be interested in having a look at it?
  • That may be a great option, Vetski. Anything to get out of here. I'm just worried I won't find a place in time when the few months end.<br>My landlord has not given up with his terror. Every day something new. I'll sort the newest attack out tomorrow. <br><br>
  • If it were this easy, he'd probably have done it already. Maybe it'll come now. Prepared or not, I can't just move, no matter how much I want it. I'll have to keep looking, and hoping. That idiot really has it in for me.<br>
  • @Stella, I understand, but the same uncertainty exists where you are now. One thing I do know about my friend's place is that she wasn't allowed to have a cat - I don't what the situation would be with an iguana, though!<div><br></div>
  • Also, if he's this keen to get you out, he might be amenable to a negotiated notice period. The 2-month rule is primarily aimed at protecting tenants from capricious landlords; but if you do renegotiate it, do it via a lawyer.
  • Again, I have my doubts that he's going to throw me out. I've good reason to doubt it. All this terror he's doing could be avoided by simply sending me a notice, which he didn't do till now. I'm just trying to work out why he's going through these lengths as I can't make sense of it. <br>
  • Re the iguana: he's in a big cage, so he'll not go round and scratch furniture, nor does he bark, or whatnot. He's just a big quiet boy. :-)<br><br>When does your friend's tenancy end? I also need to get in touch with my friend who said he may know someone, who needs to sublet his flat for 2 years. But never heard back since the first mention. <br>
  • Some people just don't make sense. He could have given you 2 months notice at 4 months into the tenancy, so you'd have had to leave at the 6 month mark, but didn't - I really wouldn't waste your energy thinking about his motivation! As others have said, he does not need a reason to give you notice after the 1st 6 months, so just figure out a way to get out of there asap.
  • Her tenancy ends in May, I think, but she's moving out fairly shortly to share with a friend. I told her about the iguana, and that he lived enclosed, and she said she won't mention him! Do you want to go and have a look at it sometime soon? I'll come with you, of course.
  • Oh, gee, that's a tad short, but let's go and see the flat and talk to her, maybe there's a chance of my taking over after the agreement ends? <br>
  • Sure, I'll check with her about going to see it - over the weekend, maybe? The agents know she's looking to sublet, so I guess the possibility of taking on the flat afterwards would depend on them.
  • edited February 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Thank you, Vetski. Weekend will be fine. Name a time and place, and I'll be there. <br><br>Misscara: I'll take a look, but am right now dealing with landlord issues, making sure I'm protected. Will look later. <br>
  • edited February 2014
    Hi Stella I don't know if it will be suitable for your Iguana ( if he has heat needs ect ), as I think i remember you mentioning you would like to live on a boat thought i would let you know of one  available for rent asap as she is  vacant just now.<div><br></div><div>Friends of mine are currently in Melbourne and have a 50 ft livaboard narrow boat to rent on a full continuous cruisers licence. Rent would be £600 PM with a £600 deposit . If interested i can message you more details.</div><div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • Hi, Toddlesocks. I'd love to live on a boat, but I don't think it's practical as long as I have the iguana. He needs plenty of heat and I doubt the solar panels of a boat can deal with it. I've got a big vivarium, so narrow boats aren't the right choice with my big boy. If I didn't have any pets I'd jump onto that offer straight away. I've got two friends who have their boats moored in Springfield. And another couple further down in the city.<br>