Shoreditchification

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited January 2014
    On the boat we have  little oblong frosted window that flips open in the bathroom , i coverd the glass with paper not trusting frosted, however still have to be careful when the window is tilted open a little   as have on to may occasions found a set of eyes peering over the top.<div><br></div><div>Once nearly got into a fight with a man who stuck his head clear through the side hatch, i fliped the door shut quick on him he started yelling. 'Christ you nearly had m head off.' i yelled back good, maybe you will think twice next time, want to tell me your address and i will come round and stick my head through your window . I understand curiosity but that just plain rude! </div>
  • @Stella, windows opening outward don''t take up valuable indoor space.
  • @Stella, do you get emotional about windows?
  • edited January 2014
    I get emotional about all sort of things. I'm THE Ranting Queen, you see?<br><br>Re frosted glass, which I have: well, look at your own peril. You want an eye bleed? Look at me naked, but don't blame me if you can't erase the image from your mind. <br><br>That's coming from someone who's used to go swimming naked. All that textile is just in the way, innit? And I'm from West Germany, in case anyone wonders.<br>
  • <div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; line-height: normal;"><span style="font-size: 10pt; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-family: sans-serif; line-height: 19.1875px;">Angela Merkel in answer to </span><span style="font-size: 10pt; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-family: sans-serif; line-height: 19.1875px;">what emotions Germany arouses in her: </span><span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-family: sans-serif; line-height: 19.1875px; font-size: 10pt;">'Ich denke an dichte Fenster! Kein anderes Land kann so dichte und so schöne Fenster bauen.'</span></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; line-height: normal;"><span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-family: sans-serif; line-height: 19.1875px; font-size: 10pt;"><br></span></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; line-height: normal;"><span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-family: sans-serif; line-height: 19.1875px; font-size: 10pt;"><br></span></div><div><br></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; line-height: normal;"><span style="font-size: 10pt; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-family: sans-serif; line-height: 19.1875px;"><br></span></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; line-height: normal;"><span style="font-size: 10pt; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-family: sans-serif; line-height: 19.1875px;"><br></span></div>
  • Well, yes, German windows are fantastic, if you get the double glazed ones. Personally, I'm a massive fan of Sash windows. Always have been. Beautiful invention, albeit not easy to clean either if you get the ones with sections. Luckily, I'm not big on window cleaning anyway, but love it once I've started. Problem is I rarely start. Ah, lazy bugger, me. Off to get some Gherkins from Lidl, anyone want some?<br>
  • @Stella - No pickles for me. I'm just back from Germany and still working through my stash of goodies. Thanks though.
  • Welcome, Joe. I'll have my next stash of goodies in May, when my friend is here on her yearly visit.<br>
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I didn't realise the journalist owned Proud in Camden.  No wonder he was so praiseworthy for that area.<br>
  • Proud which is one of the most insufferable venues it has ever been my misfortune to visit, rather undermining any merit his other points may have had - because the man responsible for that ill-run, overpriced, self-satisfied dump can clearly know nothing about what makes a venue or area good or bad.
  • <a href="http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jan/19/urban-vibrancy-social-cleansing-gentrification">On urban vibrancy - this is funny</a><br><br>'Children shouting and laughing, that's what a real community sounds like. Neighbours chatting at the top of their voices over three back gardens, that's what a real community sounds like. Not a gurning ukulele ensemble doing a version of You Got the Love in a pop-up Great British Bake Off tent behind a Michelin-starred gastropub, you doughnut.'
  • It is very amusing and more on the ball than the shoreditchification article.  <div><br></div><div><span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: arial, sans-serif; line-height: 17.261037826538086px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">'If you want to know what's in the pipeline for our urban vibescape, look at the architecture magazines. They're full of proposals from spatial alchemists with practice names in lower case. Marvel at the "contemporary" schemes submitted for planning permission. All housing is "luxury". All communities, when the luxury micro-estate is complete, will be "vibrant". There's little storage or circulation space inside the flats. They're aimed not at people who will settle, but people who will sleep there and then sell on in two years. Or, increasingly, those who are buying to let. Occupants are expected to be young and solvent. And vibrant.'</span></div>
  • '<span style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 20.799999237060547px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">Neighbours chatting at the top of their voices over three back gardens' sounds like rude bastards rather than 'a real community'.</span>
  • Community: Stroud Green<br>
  • The whole article boils down to " young people these days, they're not as good at being a young person as I was" by a tedious, entitled berk.
  • Andy, you might be right there.
  • @Andy, which article? Shoreditchification or the urban vibrancy one?<br>
  • The shoreditchification one. "Hipster" means nothing more than "group I don't like" or "young people". You load up the word hipster with a bunch of attributes you don't like, call that 'hipster' and then beat the straw man to death. Lazy, research-free opinion-column fodder at its worst. <div><br></div>
  • edited January 2014
    Keep in mind, that to 95% of the rest of the country, simply by having an account on a north london community messageboard like this one you would be defined as a hipster, by their definition, not yours.<div><br></div><div>God forbid that any of you have a twitter account, or instagram, or have ever been to a gig or a farmer's market.</div>
  • Very true Andy,<br><br>Wait long enough and everything will be cool again sometime...even local news<br>
  • A waiter did try a citizens arrest on Tony Blair in Shoreditch at the weekend
  • A waiter who wants a C4 series and has already done interviews about his designer 'apartment ' and wardrobe. Might as well kiss Jordan, slightly fewer whiskers than St Tony . Chang
  • A  small cob house may be built in a corner of  Granville Rd Spinney.Planning application has gone in to the Spinney Pixies.
  • Interesting article: http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/feb/06/hackney-house-price-bubble<br><br>I vaguely keep an eye on property prices and while I've seen huge increass in many areas of London (especially those where I used to live: Brixton, De Beauvoir/Dalston, Balham, Crouch End) the same increases don't seem to have been happening in Stroud Green especially the west side.  I'm sure even a few years ago there wasn't much of a price change from Crouch End (Ferme Park Rd, Mount View etc.) through to Victoria Road with prices only really going up along Woodstock Road/Perth Road as you got near the tube.  Now it seems that Crouch End and particularly the hill are going through the roof.  Anyone else noticed this?<br><br>And it's beyond me how much of a bubble is in Hackney, I don't know why someone would choose to live there, and pay a substantial premium, than this part of the world.<br>
  • edited February 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited February 2014
    That's just a London accent. I pronounce it villidge (although Crouch End is not one), I'm sure Detritus does too and he's from the wilds of Up North. Could be worse, it could be pronounced vill-ahhj.
  • How are you meant to pronounce village then?<br>