How to spot a hipster

Comments

• Some of the people discussing hipsters here aren't as old as you think @tomp, and others would be those very first 'teenagers'. My mum was one of those teenagers, the way she describes it is interesting, it genuinely was quite a revolution. She says it was like everything changed from brown to bright colours overnight .
  • edited January 2014
    @tomp. Fair point. That said, being rude appears to be unique to this bunch, that's not very hip however old you are. In the summer, I find it unbearable walking through London fields watching mountains and mountains of rubbish being strewn all over the parks by people who simply lack the self awareness to see that that is not cool by any stretch. Anti-social behaviour always gets blamed on the council kids.....nope, go and pick on the hipsters snorting coke in front of toddlers and taking the piss out of everyone. I don't mind the clothes to be honest, there has been much worse.
  • Quite a few hipster diners in Season this evening - I felt quite outnumbered!
  • I am going to get a t-shirt printed saying Slap a hipster and feel happy.
  • Go and get another one saying, shoot the cyclist who went through red<br>
  • I'm in Dalston a lot. Mainly for the market as I've been to that market for years. I know quite a few 'normal' people there, and some hipsters (nice and not so nice). In general I avoid places populated by them (bars/clubs); they're only becoming a pest when they're in hordes. A bit like every clique: you get them together, they're terrible, individually, there may be one or two who are okay. <br>
  • Is there anywhere in SG that is just 'alternative' friendly and good age mix, without hoards of hipsters to go for a meal ?<div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • What tomp said, but with added frowning over the rude tone in this thread. Stay classy people.<div><br></div><div>*adjusts unnecessarily enormous half-framed Raybans*</div>
  • Personally I prefer to judge people on their individual merits, or lack thereof, rather than writing them off as a group.<br>
  • <P>The irony being that Hipsters won't even think the thread is about them so won't be offended. Its a regular theme on SG.org to be offended on behalf of someone else. Half the time the people discussed couldn't give a hoot what other people think.</P> <P>@Idoru. Well done you. Must be hard voting in elections then.</P>
  • edited January 2014
    Broadly speaking I'd agree with Tomp, Arkady and Idoru but these are hipsters we're talking about here....(that's a joke in case it doesn't come across ont he medium of internet)<br><br>Anyway, really this is just short hand for an annoying type of person, like yuppie used to be, or sloane is, or chav - which most people using it never meant as offensive in the way the hand-wringers took it up as, they just meant yob.<br><br>Hipster is a sweeping generalisation that ignores lots of good things (as I pointed out on the Shoreditchification thread they're probably more of a force for good than bad) but if you can't laugh at someone on a silly bike, in rolled up trousers, with undercut hair, a mild coke habit, too tight clothes and a desperate desire to be taken seriously, I don't know who you can mock.<br>
  • I've been described as hipster on more than a few occasions and I'd agree I definitely tick some of the boxes, I'm also friends with plenty of people who would defintely be thought of as hipster on here.  Making broad brush statements are very easy and frankly laughable, anyone who believes all group X behave in manner Y need to have a serious reality check.<br><br>It's a very dangerous thing to judge individual people on their apperance or your own general preconceptions.<br>
  • Yes, like saying all older people don't understand the fads of youth.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • To be honest I don't really care, the only people I detest are man u fans and Rod Stewart.
  • I was brought up on Rod Stewart.  Hearing him now reminds me of long car journeys during childhood summers.<div><br></div><div>You *have* to play him to your kids.  It says so in the bible:</div><div><br></div><div>"Spare the Rod, spoil the child".</div>
  • edited January 2014
    My son can tell me he is gay I won't mind, he can tell me he will never support Leeds United and I would commend his intelligence. He could even admit to finding cricket dull and I would semi agree. But if he sits me down and says he likes Rod Stewart I would disown him in a heart beat.
  • edited January 2014
    Pretty much what Brodiej and Papa L said<div><br></div><div>I have liked this thread it has been what i consider to be a light  hearted education ( for me anyway).</div><div><br></div><div> I genuinely was unclear  what a hipster was supposed to be .  I thought they may be a younger modern day, shiny cross between a NA  traveler and hippy with a bit of grunge and punk rock thrown in ( lot of old ones on the rive happy to have these labels).  The younger new ones just seem a mix of all . I was almost exited for a while thinking  Mr Toddlesocks and I  may have  found a label close to us and we were for the first time in our lives trendy!</div><div><br></div><div>My childhood car journeys were Billy Connolly shows on tape..... yep explains a lot!</div><div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • edited December 2017
  • edited January 2014
    Joe, apparently there hasn't been any sighting of hipsters today.  That's the ten odd that live around SGR.  Although the Faltering Fullback will have some this weekend.  
  • Detritus - is this just an anti-Rod solo thing?<br><br>Where do you stand on The Faces?<br>
  • He'd happily stand on Rod's face.
  • I'll join him, there's room on that face for more than 1 person.<div><br></div><div>@Arkady, I fear you have misinterpreted that Biblical text. It actually means that if you want to be nice to children, spare them the pain of hearing Rod Stewart. Your parents may have done you incalculable harm.</div>
  • I fear this wave of hatred against this innocuous enough youth tribe will be overshadowed by a tsunami<div>of regret when they realise those ironic sailor  tats do not come of easy. I am sure a great many of us got up to youthful antics that (intentionally) irritated others in our day, but then we mostly move on, off comes the leather jacket, out comes the nose/belly/c**k piercing & the what have you, but those tattoos, the horror…The Horror.</div>
  • <div><br></div>There may be a change in hipsters bike of preference soon. I am selling a PAS electric bike and got an email asking if i would ' please,"please, please, consider exchanging it for a fixie"'!<div><br></div><div>Thankfully to this thread,  I know what a fixie actually, is and isn't going to happen!</div>
  • Oh dear. <br><br>I've noticed an increase of Shoppers ridden by hipsters. If that's the new trend, they'll make proper dicks of themselves. The Fixie trend is already going backwards, so is bikes & coffee. When Noah opened his shop, he said he wasn't going to participate in any of this and just have an ordinary bike shop. Although he's in Dalston, he rarely gets hipsters in and he doesn't want to cater for them either. He wants normal people who want to ride normal bikes to get around London, not people who need to show off their expensive purchase. <br>
  • By the way, wasn't there this old guys whose bike was stolen? They got him a new one, but not an electric one, or has that changed? I thought he was riding around on a sit-up-and-beg now. Maybe you could swap with him instead?<br>
  • <div>I wasn't wanting to exchange as have another bike</div><div><br></div><div>The electric one is  folding with  little wheels, i don't think very safe on roads ( i got it for using on the towpath since sometimes moored quite rural ,but charging it is unsuitable became a dust collector).</div><div><br></div><div>Driving me bokners all the  questions people are asking,   if it  doesn't go today the old guy can have it if he wants as a spare.</div>