New Members

Comments

• Keep it coming, @JohnB - we genuinely love hearing personal histories of the area!
  • Well, my Granny lived in Charteris Road from, I think, about 1900 to about 1939 , then moved to bottom of Crouch Hill. I dimly remember in about 1940 or so there were stables in a road near Charteris Road for , maybe Dray horses. A circus elephant lodged there for a while, and we kids would watch the mahout washing and grooming it. Mt Mum and siblings went to Montem Street School. I have a photo of her in a class of over 50 girls in 1919 when she was 10 . Not sure how to post it. A lot more if not too boring. Got a couple of photos looking up Upper Tollington Park from Stroud Green road taken about 1940 and before.
  • Fascinating stuff JohnB. I didn't realise that wood block roads were used so late.

For pictures it's best just to post a link from the web please!
  • A view of Upper Tollington Park from Osborne Pub, now Nandos - corner of Stroud Green Road
    https://postimg.org/image/li32ad63p/

• Great pics. Maybe we need a Historical Notes and Photos thread?
  • Yep, fascinating stuff, need to open a new thread JohnB - can you do this?
  • Yes a new discussion for this would be perfect.

That Upper Tollington park picture is great. I'm struggling a bit with the perspective on it, but the houses on the right with the steps up from street level must have been bombed out and replaced by the current medical centre site? And it looks like there used to be a house where the little open space now is next to the Parkland Walk bridge.

The bridge looks different in the picture too.
  • Yes a new discussion for this would be perfect.

That Upper Tollington park picture is great. I'm struggling a bit with the perspective on it, but the houses on the right with the steps up from street level must have been bombed out and replaced by the current medical centre site? And it looks like there used to be a house where the little open space now is next to the Parkland Walk bridge. The bridge looks different in the picture too. Odd.

I don't suppose you have a picture of the Osborne Pub? I've never been able to find one of it, or of the crossroads before it was bombed. Did you live above the pub?
  • Ok Starting new discussion. A very close relative was the tenant so will post Osbourne on new thread. BTW the shot up Upper Tollington Park was from the Osbourn roof! Yes lived above pub , luckily moved to bottom of Crouch Hill before it was bombed.
  • Am I imagining this?
    a miniature village in the middle of Finsbury Park - in the 1960s.
    It had gone by the time I moved to Mountgrove Road in 1979, to find that the roads between our house there and Seven Sisters' Road (Blackstock Road to Green Lanes) were being closed by Hackney Council in an effort to drive out the prostitutes whose clients were curb-crawlers. This "red light" area was explained by the history of the park as a wartime military camp (American troops? which War?). Very interesting also how FP area in "olden days" was a big town centre with all those theatres and Fonthill Road a long and important High Street full of shops. There must be some literature explaining this decline. I wonder if the so-called "gentrifiers" moving into Stroud Green and my old neighbourhood are aware of this interesting history.
  • Fonthill Rd is still full of shops and still very busy, especially on a Friday and Saturday.
  • Yeah, that's true miss annie :)
  • Hi Im a FP local and own The Black Hamburg on Stroud green road and also Heirloom in crouch end, ill be at the sandwich shop a lot of the spring time so look forward to meeting you all there.
    Ian
  • Glad to have you on board. I have now eaten several of your sandwiches, and I'm a big fan.
  • Hi, I've lived in Stroud Green for over 30 years. I have what I'm reliably informed is a 'portfolio career', meaning I do a selection of jobs, mostly relating to education. My favourite is maths tutor!
  • Hello Everyone ;) I own the Prince Alfred on the corner of Sussex way. been reading through the forum today it's fantastic. I especially love the links to the history of the area. I'm fascinated by London's history. Just thought I'd Id join the forum and say Hi.

Also were really keen at the P Alfred to connect with the local community and make sure we are providing what local people want.

I'm always at the pub so do pop by and have a chat.:)
  • Hey, thanks for coming onboard. I've never visited, and will have to remedy that. Curious that Google Maps describes the pub as Victorian. The existing building is, what, 1930s-50s? I'm guessing '50s given the bomb-wrecked nature of that end of the street.
  • 1950's I think yes. When refurbing upstairs we found a paper from 1956 under the floorboards which I think would've come from original builders.
  • @mralfred as you may know it is a serious suntrap in the summer so you will definitely get people through the door (or outside on the tables), have you thought about Pimms, bubbles, cocktails etc?
  • Yes will be doing Pimms and cocktails etc and will should have the roof terrace open by 1st June. Don't think its been used in years so hopefully it'll go down well with all the sun lovers.

Any ideas guys let us know :)
  • Hello all, moved into the area a few months ago with wife and newborn. Been a long time lurker before the move, glad to have chosen the area.
  • hello, i've lived in stroud green for about 10 years and love the area, it's great to hear people being so positive about it. i've signed up to this site to say hello and try to find a cleaner who is up for cleaning and ironing. if you know anyone with any availability please let me know, thanks
  • Hello all, I've lived in Stroud Green (near the World's End) since 2005. I'm an English (ESOL) teacher. I was wondering if there were any native Spanish speakers / teachers in the area who would like to exchange English / Spanish classes, as I'd like to improve my Spanish. Please let me know.
  • Hello all! I have just recently moved to Stroud Green with my Husband. We are loving all of the amazing restaurants and the Parkland Walk. I was curious, does anyone know of a *Reliable* plumber in the area to help us in our new flat?
  • Welcome!

Some recent recommendations here: http://www.stroudgreen.org/discussion/comment/89122/#Comment_89122

If you search for 'plumber' here on the forum you might find more.
  • @Arkady Thank you will do ????????
  • Those were meant to be smiley faces