Chess anyone?

Comments

• Oh Christ, I look like a stoned pac-man.
  • edited July 2014
    So does your avatar (BOOM BOOM)
  • dark glasses and small horns. Not bad.
  • PS the avatar description there was Mirandola not Krappy! The new design cunningly puts a comment box at the foot of the page even if the thread continues onto another. 
  • edited July 2014
    Match report.   Arkady and I have met in combat.  Game of Thrones has nothing on this.   All in  all highly satisfactory as a beginners level meeting, very good local venue (will keep this to ourselves) and good fun - much more fun playing for real instead of against a robot.  Not revealing results.<div><br></div><div>@Chekski, we are both keen to challenge you.   We have a venue in mind - you will approve.    Up for it?</div>
  • He thrashed me. Twice.
  • Bloody hell. Very doubtfully: OK. I am in for the humiliation of a lifetime, I sense. Bloody hell. PM me.
  • Match report: Checkski v Krappyrubsnif - Krappy resigned in abject humiliation. Krappyrubsnif v Dion - Dion wiped floor and then table, stove and surfaces with Krappy. Early days - keep us informed when and where you meet Arkadey and Dion.
  • Match report.<div><br></div><div>Checkski, suspected to be secret expert, rather enjoys that fiction until look of slight disappointment appears on Krapy's and Arkady's faces.</div><div><br></div><div>Secret expert Dion takes over and smashes poor Checkski to pulp in 10 minutes.</div><div><br></div><div>I blame the lime cordial.</div><div><br></div><div>Nice to meet, them, though. And strange to discover that they are real people.</div>
  • Is this chess tournament continuing? Who do I have to challenge (also, when and where) to get into this "competition" ?
  • Choose your time, location and weapons and issue a challenge sir - you can DM any one of us to keep it private. Me, Arkady, Dion or Checkski. Most encouraging!
  • edited July 2014
    <p>Match report: Krappy vs MacGyver, today.</p><p>I won.</p><p>I'm happy that I met Krappy and looking forward to meet the others in combat.</p>
  • Yes it was suitably humiliating but I learned a lot and am very grateful. I suspect J_V_M has learned his technique among the Grand Masters of central Europe....... Great match. Next?
  • I'm up for a game Krappy.
  • I'm ready Detritus. Also, have got the Front Room's nice little wooden chess board for the whole week. They are closed for seven days for a refit.
  • I'm assuming some of us are still up for playing chess tonight --- agreed secret location, around 6.30-ish?  Detritus?  J_V_M?    I know Arkady and Checkski may be late or not at all.      I'll be there, anyway, with chess set - hope to see someone.     Krappy
  • And a splendid time was had by all, I think glossing over the results will make my ego feel a tad better.
  • edited August 2014
    Well, that was fun. I won my 2 games, but I am a plodder, and accidentally lost my queen in one game, so nothing whatsoever to boast about there. I met 2 new people, one a newbie, I think - Mr MacGyver - and the other, an old stroudgreener, oka Detritus. I liked them both. No Arkady, which was a shame, and as for Krappy - e dappertutto, quasi impossible evitarlo! Not that I want to, because he's a good chap too. Well I never! Perbacco!
  • Well, @Checkski, you win some, you lose some. I think my personal score this season so far is won 3, lost 4, 1 resigned, but whose counting? That's seven members now, yes? All excellent, looking forward to the rematch @Detritus!
  • <p>It was good fun indeed, looking forward to the next meeting. Park Tavern is a perfect location for our chess tournaments</p><p>My pleasure, @Checkski, especially to meet someone who knows about Kodály and Háry János. Though I joined the website in June 2012, I've been keeping a low profile except for giving away plants occasionally.</p>
  • Definitely up for a rematch, the park tavern is a good venue, and we attracted a few spectators as well.
  • It's years since I played chess.  Sounds like you guys had fun.  
  • It's Monday again, which seems fast to be becoming Chess Club Night, so I'll be there (@Park Tav), lime cordial in hand, weather permitting. If Krappy turns up, we should have at least 4 sets, 2 of them mine, and as yet unopened. Looking forward to a game or two - weather permitting. 6.30. Any takers?
  • Once again my plans have been kyboshed and I will now be south of the river instead.  Sorry to be so part-time.  It's in the diary for next week, though you will all be so good by then that I will be instantly crushed.
  • I wish I had half your social life Arkady.    But I never go South of the River.
  • Due to various matters with my studies I have to pass on this one.
  • Rather a poor turn out yesterday chaps, a spot of rain doesn't deter a warrior. @Checksi forced me to resign but only after a spirited fight. I now know what it means to be backed into a corner by @Checkski. I blame the excellent Guinness. I would happy to take on any other beginners - @Sutent? Why do all chess sets have a piece missing?
  • Krappy I would love to play but I play football Monday nights