Dudley's Pancake House

Comments

• edited 6:09PM
    Pancakes are made to be eaten with maple syrup. And streaky bacon on the side.

My house is actively boycotting Dudleys for such worthy reasons as lack of taste in décor (note mac enabled punctuation) and having to pay over a fiver. For a pancake.

If you see anyone walking past giving them the dancing Vs, its probably one of us. No offense meant to those whose are eating there, we just like having a cause.
    Verga: grave accent is alt-` then the letter. So alt-` then 'e' gives you è. Circumflex is alt-i then the letter, so alt-i then 'e' gives you ê.

For completeness (sort of) alt-u gives an umlaut (as in ö) and alt-n gives a tilde (as in ã).

If you forget this, open the keyboard viewer and hold down the Alt key and they'll be highlighted in orange.

* on both my Mac keyboards the `, or 'backtick' character, is left of the z on the same key as the tilde.
    You see, if they had a Dudley's typesetting pancake, you lot would be fans.
    Verga, so you can find it later, I've put a reasonably complete list of ƒö®èîgñ çhärã©tërš in the [Making images & links](http://www.stroudgreen.org/discussion/642/making-links-and-images/) section.
  • LizLiz
    edited 6:09PM
    ***applause!***
    I am pretty sure if you type in Word, Entourage, Outlook etc they do auto accenting for you. The you could simply cut and paste into the relevant thread. not tried Dudley's yet. The name puts me off! How shallow am I? Happy Christmas Everybody
    What are the other three restaurants I should be reviewing? And actually I didn't take the time to put the accent in decor. I wrote my post in an outlook email first and then copied and pasted it in, and as mentioned above, Outlook did it automatically for me! I thought it might look a bit pretentious but I left it in anyway. Didn't think anyone would actually comment on it, let alone revolve a whole conversation around it!
    Get used to it Alison, conversation threads on here generally lurch from one random thing to another. Anyone see the Larrik shut last night? They were digging the road up right next to it so am assuming powercut.
    Dotori, Pappagones/Porchetta and Lai Krishna please
    Then Sketch, the Dorchester and Pak's Kebabish.
    I want to review Lai Krishna, lol.
    Who (else) has tried Garufa on Blackstock rd? My god I was full!!!!
    mmmmm.....
  • edited December 2008
    You say that tosscat, but have you ever looked carefully at the sign? It does look like an 'L'.
    Went there yesterday, and IT IS FANTASTIC!! Really generous vibe going on, great food, great service, and I'd say a great interior (for SGR!)
    Time for a new poll
    Ah. We seem to have broken the poll mechanism.
  • edited December 2008
    Oh well. Do I trust the Dudley's reviews? 'A great interior'?
  • Hello, Did anyone get the 'free pancake' token inside the Islington Gazette? I want to use it for my first visit but the printing of the t&c's is so tiny I can't decipher how it works (buy one get one free? only on certain days? etc.) Can anyone fill me in on the details of the offer?
    @ tosscat: Not all StroudGreen memebers are Dudley's haters, get over it! So what I love the interior? Fantastically comfy seats, big tables. It's all clean and shiny and new. I would rate it as the best interior on SGR! Have you been to Princi (wardour street?) I put Dudley's interior on a par with that (although check out the water features at the rear of Dudleys, I think you'll find they beat Princi's). Flambée.
    vis a vis the interior - it just makes me think of a mediocre provincial restaurant circa 1993.
  • edited December 2008
    Jai Krishna and the twin pizza towers being stunning examples of inner city cool, of course. Personally I'm just happy that we have a great variety for a fringe area of London.
  • edited December 2008
    Exactly David. I have to say that following Beek's sage imperative, I am over it. God bless us, every one!
    We went to Dudleys today, 3 adults and a one year old and a 2.5 year old. We love it and would go again.

The pancakes were huge and really good and the milkshakes were lovely and so was the tea. The kids got generous goody bags of colouring crayons, books and cards. The service was fast, friendly and efficient. I would go again. It was a bit quiet so I hope more people go to support it as its nice to have somewhere nice to go like Dudleys in Stroud Green.
    We went to Dudleys on Saturday morning, what a cool place! We just had waffles, pancakes and coffee but ended up spending half the day there chatting. The atmosphere is so chilled and relax and never did we feel rushed.

I had the banoffee pancake.... amazing, and the cool thing about it all was the fact that we could see the chef in action flippin the pancake in the air.

It was really busy for most of the day and everyone seemed to be having a good time so I guess words spreading.

I've been living in Stroud Green for 2 years and although I had my doubts at first, I'm now a fan. Were fortunate to have good restaurants here and this place is certainly setting new standards.

We will definitely be back... maybe tonight!
    <i>"We just had waffles, pancakes and coffee but ended up spending half the day there chatting… It was really busy for most of the day"</i>

yeah, when i was a waiter, we really loved <strike>customers</strike> campers like that.
    Went here the other day. Wasn't a patch on a lovely crepe i'd had in Islington a few days prior BUT the people were really nice and my boy was smashing holes in the wood table with a spoon and they very nicely asked him to do something else.

The pancake was ok and my milkshake really great.

It's a nice place and want to go back. I hope they get more customers!
    Is that some sort of secret parent test for restaurants? Let your kid bash the furniture about and see how they deal with it?
    Isn't it your job to take the spoon off him and get him to do something else? I feel super sorry for the poor old staff in Dudley's now, what with the squat in one corner and infant demolition in the other.
    I really liked it as well - been there twice. Highly recommend the nutella pancake with cream - yum!
    The only problem with it I think is that it's freezing when someone opens the door. They need 2 doors to keep a chilly wind from blowing through the whole restaurant - at least in weather like we've been having!