New feature: Politics

edited February 2009 in About this site
We've built a new thing: [http://www.stroudgreen.org/politics](http://www.stroudgreen.org/politics) It brings together - the latest news from Haringey Council - notices of whenever the two local MPs (Jeremy Corbyn and Lynne Featherstone) speak or do anything in parliament - all the latest planning applications within roughly 1km of the ['fiveways'](http://www.stroudgreen.org/discussion/706/diagonal-pedestrian-crossing/) junction - updates from Lynne Featherstone's blog We're aren't party political, but Islington Council don't have an rss web feed (weak) and Jeremy Corbyn doesn't really even have much of a website to speak of, so there was nothing we could do. If there are other local politician's or data sources we could fold in, let us know.

Comments

• edited February 2009
    Gah! Not more Lxxxe Fxxxxxxxxxe! It's all too much. Seriously, very good. Two requests... Links opening in a new window/tab by default would be grand. Links to the latest missives from the two local neighbourhood police teams.
  • edited 3:07PM
    Ta. David has become so obsessed with lynne's picture, he wrote some code to automatically generate them. Police+crime stuff we're looking at, but we're limited by what the services generate. We need at least some form of rss to be able to load it up.
    links into new windows/tabs sorted. I did wonder about the neighbourhood police stuff but content wise they're more like newsletters than feeds that we can aggregate. Any ideas on how to tackle that are more than welcome.
    I can't help but imagine David collates all his Lxxxe Fxxxxxxxxxe pictures and uses them to wallpaper his bedroom.
    I wish she was on youtube, i could edit all her video posts into a Rocky-like training montage of her pointing at fag butts in wood green and graffiti down by the park. eye of the tiger over the top, the works. what an awesome video it would be.
    <a href="" target="lynne">
    Risin' up, back on the street <br>
    Did my time, took my chances <br>
    Went the distance, now I'm back on my feet <br>
    Just a man and his will to survive <br>
    <br>
    So many times, it happens too fast <br>
    You change your passion for glory <br>
    Don't lose your grip on the dreams of the past <br>
    You must fight just to keep them alive <br>
    <br>
    Chorus: <br>
    It's the eye of the tiger, it's the cream of the fight <br>
    Risin' up to the challenge of our rival <br>
    And the last known survivor stalks his prey in the night <br>
    And he's watchin' us all in the eye of the tiger <br>
    <br>
    Face to face, out in the heat <br>
    Hangin' tough, stayin' hungry <br>
    They stack the odds 'til we take to the street <br>
    For we kill with the skill to survive <br>
    <br>
    chorus <br>
    <br>
    Risin' up, straight to the top <br>
    Have the guts, got the glory <br>
    Went the distance, now I'm not gonna stop <br>
    Just a man and his will to survive <br>
    <br>
    chorus <br>
    <br>
    The eye of the tiger (repeats out)...<br>
    </a>
    I quite like [this one]() - she even gets her face on the BBC
    Ideas for more feeds / gizmos / gadgets and thingamabobs... http://www.hornseyjournal.co.uk/rss/feed.aspx?id=hcejonline http://www.islingtongazette.co.uk/rss/feed.aspx?id=islgonline http://www.tfl.gov.uk/widgets/?CMP=widget-banner&banner=home-service Tosscat: I've not worked my magic on making the links work as the first two have a tendency to bugger your browser.
    I won't mess then. I might give up - one trick pony and all that.
  • edited February 2009
    wonder if the journal/gazette and tube widget is more a news page, rather than integrated with the politics page? Andy will no doubt have a view on this. Not being up on politics and suddenly finding myself reading that page while building it, Jeremy Corbyn isn't a very local MP is he? Don't get me wrong, he seems noble with his world view but its not fixing that pothole in the road that's soaking pedestrians outside Vista's development on the way to station is it?
    Ah, the famous Jeremy Corbyn Prisoner's Dilemma. JC has i) a massive majority and ii) is by far the most rebellious Labour MP. So at the last election you were left in the logic puzzle that if you wanted to support the Labour government, you voted Labour, but if you wanted to protest about the Labour government, your best bet was to vote Labour. At the same time, his majority is so huge, that voting makes next to no difference anyway. Though I think this is still better than proportional representation.
    I dont like Jeremy Corbyn who's been the MP for decades: i reckon he thinks the seat is his, in the same way the aristos did in the house of Lords. He should resign.
    I also dont like the police blog on the site. They're a nasty bunch down on Hornsey Road (and pretty much everywhere else). They'd fit you up for a fiver.
    But I do love this site.
    We're not political Les, we just try to throw up what's happening in the area. The police were amazing when trying to catch the serial mugger along Parkland Walk, and having found myself on the wrong side of the law before, its begrudgingly that I give them kudos for that but the neighbourhood stuff we've posted on here is hardly the work of a nasty bunch that'd fit you up for a fiver. As for Jeremy, its a democracy ain't it? Why should he resign?
    From my point of view, the whole point of having police and councillors and whatnot on the site is that you're less likely to have an 'us and them' relationship with them if you know what they're like, what TV they watch and the fact that, you know, in the end we're all just people, yeah </hippy>
    Lynne's not a person, she's a Rocky montage.
    David Can you not use Yahoo Pipes to generate RSS from Islingtons site? Assuming they have some sort of automatically generated page listing everything you're interested in.
  • edited March 2009
    Good idea, will take a look. I do feel Islington should be pulling their finger out on this mind rather than us doing it for them. Very poor.