The Ashes

edited July 2009 in General chat
are ace.

And if it has left you in a crickety sort of mood, then you should buy "Beyond a Boundary" by CLR James, which is excellent.

<http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beyond-Boundary-C-L-R-James/dp/022407427X>;

Comments

• edited 5:18AM
    I just spotted Shane Warne in town.
    I saw him in a book shop once. He's not as fat as you might think.
    He has very sun damaged skin, and I could do better highlights than that.
    Standing around in a field for 5 days at a time in some of the hottest places in the world. That would account for the skin I suppose.
    What is cricket?
    if you like cricket and music, you'll like [this](http://www.myspace.com/dlmethod). The song 'Jiggery Pokery' about Warne bowling Gatting is legendary.
    neil hannon has finally lost it.
    copied from the mcavoy thread, no idea how the subject turned to cricket there.

"i think all this hoo-ha around ponting will dry up very quickly if they win at edgbaston.

lords was a very important toss to win - we had by far the best of the pitch and the weather on the first day, the aussies had to bat under cloud and high humidity day two and they got at least 4 dodgy top order decisions. the match was essentially won in those first two days. if the aussies bat first on a belter at edgbaston we could easily be struggling to save the game again - possibly with a very shaky 3 and 4 (bopara and bell/key). the aussies bowling can only improve, and shaun marsh should be opening instead of hughes. "
    This is the first aussie touring side i can remember where the bowlers are rubbish. I can't see where they'll get their wickets. On top of that, Hughes hasn't really started. Poor Ricky's carrying the whole team. Our 3/4/5 looks shaky, but when Prior and Anderson are batting as well as they are, we're more than a match for them.
    is there a sport category? She asks. For no particular reason.
    watson in for hughes and opening (!?)

my worry for this game is being put in and bell getting to the crease at something like 60/2, could be a very jangly morning.
    There is more jargon in that last comment than a wine writer muttering over a Chateau Yquem 1938 grand cru. Explanation?
    philip hughes has been replaced by shane watson in the australian team.

"opening" means being one of the first two blokes to bat.

"being put in" is the other team winning the toss and choosing to field.

"getting to the crease" means the guy who was batting before you has just got out and now it's your turn

"X/Y or X for Y" X - number of runs Y = number of people out in that innings

"jangly" not classic cricketing jargon, is what it sounds like.
    or it could just rain all morning. On his showing so far, Hughes had to go, but he was someone I thought the Aussies were investing in - one for the future and all that.
    *resists the temptation continue banging on about how good shaun marsh is*
    @injoke thankyou. Still jangly but getting the idea.
    That's really not a bad start is it?
    the pub is calling
    Great quote from the Guardian OBO: *"Seeing the Aussies follow the great Windies team descent into mediocrity gets me thinking that Ricky Ponting is Australia's batting equivalent of Courtney Walsh," says Duncan Fletcher. "Not really given enough credit as part of the winning teams due to the other talent around him, but when everyone else retires and he's all of a sudden the best one left standing, and statistically he moves past all the others, you realise how bloody good he actually was the whole time. And the lack of surrounding talent makes him look like a worse captain than he probably is."*
    This one is starting to smell like a draw.
  • IanIan
    edited 5:18AM
    @Andy - it isn't over yet ...
  • edited August 2009
    I haven't missed a ball yet! It's a good series so far, with good twists and turns. As an England supporter, i hope we can stay strong. Looks like Broad will miss out for the next one (shame for him) - some Harmison please? Bit worried about Bopara, he seems a bit out of his depth but there aren't too many options for a credible replacement at the moment. Hope he come good in the next.
  • IanIan
    edited 5:18AM
    @Ed B - let's not start that Harmison is our saviour wide eyed foolery. His test record, which has been built up over what I would say is a statistically significant number of test matches, is rubbish. He is a very average bowler that has had two good series and in between and after bowled an awful lot of dross. It's faith over empirical evidence.
    Ian, regarding Harmison, i know. I'm not his biggest fan either but this season, is on fine form. Look at his stats for this season. He's a bowler that needs to bowl frequently and he has been. When he gets it right, he's a right handful and has been left to simmer for a nice long time now. If flintoff is rested (which i doubt), Harmison will probably and should play. If not, looks like Sidebottom for Broad?
    i think the selectors have invested a lot in broad and i think they'll be reluctant to drop him, if fred is fit i imagine it'll be exactly the same side.
    Alec Stewart for keeper?
    collingwood is stepping into the breach apparently. trott and harmison in one assumes. how exciting.
    TMS now saying prior IS playing.

england have won the toss and are batting.
    good toss to win, under the circumstances...