Who to vote for?

edited May 2010 in Local discussion
I found this site useful: <http://voteforpolicies.org.uk>; You take a survey based on policies, not the parties, and it helps you identify who to vote for. It also takes your postcode. Here are the results for Hornsey and Wood Green so far - apparently there have been 94 completed surveys so far, and here's what it shows: Labour 26.80% Green Party 26.09% Lib Dems 17.51% Conservatives 14.54% UKIP 11.56% BNP 3.50%

Comments

• LizLiz
    edited 5:38AM
    I did this (so one of the 94 is mine) - managed to agree with none of the policies of the party I'm planning to vote for. I found this site quite useful as well: <http://www.votematch.org.uk/>;
  • edited 5:38AM
    There are quite a few of these vote matching sites around at the moment.

From what I know of the different teams behind them, the VoteMatch.org.uk is the best - good experience of doing similar in previous elections here and elsewhere, done detailed policy research, given parties chances to comment on whether they agree with the scoring system, good algorithm behind the site etc. That's partly because, due to their previous record and tie up with various organisations, they've had the chance to put a decent amount of resources into refining their system.
    There's something of an irony in recommending the best 'vote for policies' site on the basis of the team behind it.
    @andy :-) (It also produces the best results I think too.)
    A few weeks ago, Lynne Featherstone knocked on our door. We were on our way out, but it would've been rude to send her away. So we stood there for 20 minutes and argued policy.

I've never been a fan of Lynne or the Lib Dems, but tomorrow I'm going to vote for her. Of all the candidates, she's the only one who came by. The rest sent leaflets and over-eager canvassers. If she can spare 20 minutes to talk to us, I can spare five minutes to walk across the street to vote.
    In making all the videos, I've met lots of the council candidates. The consequence being that possibly for the first time I feel like I'm voting for individuals rather than parties. Same goes for the national picture. I've thought lots about it, but in the end, I think I'm voting for a person not a party.
    The day before the election and I've opened a piece of addressed mail from a candidate who claims to be "*figting* for local people". Even better than this, the address to send your donation/intention to vote says *"please return to: local freepost address across here"* They really have focussed their attention on Islington South, haven't they.
    I've met Lynne Featherstone. I would have voted for her if I thought she was in danger of losing her seat.