Restaurant recommendations

edited August 2010 in Local discussion
Now chaps, I know that are threads on here dealing with this precise subject but I can't find them. So... I have someone whom I haven't seen for ten whole years visiting in October and want to take them for dinner somewhere local, kind of possibly 'date' ish type of place - doesn't have to be on SGR, although it would be nice if it was a shortish stagger away. Any cuisine considered. Suggestions or a referral to the right thread please.
Ta very much.

Comments

• edited 12:42PM
    Bistro Aix in Crouch End. Not cheap and a long stagger maybe, but the best food in the area by far and an impressive date venue.
    The Triangle! Great services, brilliant atmosphere, not cheap but incredible portions and quality. Highly recommended for special occasions.
    Oooo, just had a look at both of those online - excellent recommendations, thank you.
    I'd go for Juniper nr highbury barn if i was going 'date'ish..
    My brother, Krappyrubsnif senior, also known as McKrappyrubsnif, who is down from the land of deep fried Mars bars and pints o'heavy (Scotland), wants to take the family out for Sunday lunch somewhere near here. A Sunday roast is just one option....I have been to the Noble rather too often recently. Any other suggestions? NOT date-y.
    I hear that the Nickleby does a good Sunday roast.
    Little bit further away, St John at Archway.
    At the Noble? Too often? Is such a thing possible?

Also, what's with the Noble not being open on Monday? Getting ratted at the Old Dairy just isn't the same.

To be fair, the Old Dairy's roasts aren't at all bad.
    I know it's Crouch End rather that Stroud Green (bracing myself for the shouting already...), but the food at the Villiers Terrace is excellent at the weekend (they have a different chef during the week - not so good in my experience). A couple of months back I had one of the best steaks I've ever eaten in there.
    Triangle: reserve the "snug" booth for privacy. Food is over-priced and a wee bit staid (same menu for years) but the atmosphere is distinctive and they have belly dancers / entertainment. I really want to like them more.

I'm a permanent advocate of Chez Liline, but the atmosphere's not so romantic.

Konstam @ Kings Cross is a compromise between the two, but a train-ride away.

What's the roast like at the Swimmer? I've only ever eaten there mid-week, but always been happy with it...
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Misscara - you are spot on - he is getting to know the area well and has already nominated the White Lion as the best pub and his favourite (despite the bewildering variety of 'real ales' - which he calls 'fancy London rubbish').

But he is here for a few weeks and is adapting well - I am going to suggest St John in Junction Road, I've never been there myself and it sounds fab. Do I need to pre-order deep fried haggis?
    I think we'll go for Bistro Aix, looks lovely and the chap I'll be dining with lived in France for a while, so it will give him an opportunity to show off a bit.

I had roast lunch in St John with my pals last weekend and it was fabulous. They also do home made pork scratchings, yum!
  • AliAli
    edited 12:42PM
    Well drunken Scots is spoken in the WLM so MacKrappy should be happy – Ken what I mean. If he is missing home the Nobel does have Deuchars quite often which is I guess a fancy Edinburgh beer !
    Is it me or does Krappyrubsnif have one too many 'p's in the name?? Anyway St James is very good food, but can be on the quiet (empty) side. Triangle is a winner. Nice and unusual, decor and menu. Though the belly dancing can make for some awkward moments so I would avoid Saturdays. Nobel always good grub, not too busy, trendy, casual & rarely rammed or pretentious like the Dairy. If you like Sushi, theres a decent restaurant on Hornsey High Street called Shiso, which is nice. For me the Villiers is bloody awful at the weekend. it has become rather popular and attracts the wrong crow. The music they play is dreadful and the punters are common. This is a bit out there for this crowd but here goes..... avoid Banners. I'm sick of being told about their great reputation, but have walked out of there twice because of poor service and when I have eaten in there, the food has been below par. I'd much rather go to Monkey Nuts. Good luck anyways, with your not-date. Or failing that, you can keep flirting with Arkady on the other threat and get him to ask you out.
    Oooo,I don't think Mrs Arkady would like that!

I love Monkeynuts, Neil and Dan are adorable. Banners is hit and miss but great for Saturday brunch. I liked Villiers better when it was the Alex - I won a Connect Four tournament in there once.

I have a soft spot for the Dairy, their manager has joined in with book club and is a lovely, hospitable chap.
    banners' service is awful, the main woman in there is a right grumpy cow and seems to always be pissed off with the other staff, therefore making them pissed off with the customers. and i always try to be so nice. we had shiso delivered the other day and thought it was really really good, much better than hana.
    Yeah, I always avoid Banners nowadays - I liked the food and service both times I went in, but it's just SO busy, and always full of prams and screaming kids, so I tend to leave them to it. I will go back once I've started spawning my own little darlings.
    I've never heard a bad word said about Petek. http://www.london-eating.co.uk/32252.htm
  • AliAli
    edited 12:42PM
    Nesta missed the salt conversation a couple of weeks ago
    Alas, Arkady knows a feisty redhead who would definitely object.
  • edited August 2010
    Bistro Aix is booked! Might try out Triangle anyway, sounds good.
    Make sure you stare long and hard at the ceiling.......
    Not going for a few weeks Misscara, but I'll let you know how it goes.
    This might be superfluous now that miss annie has found the venue for her un-date, but as an area newbie I must recommend Dotori by Finsbury Park tube. I'm from Koreatown - New Malden, SW London - and so had been pining for a local slice of my hometown.

Dotori isn't perfect, but their set menu is pretty ace and while the place is a bit chaotic and packed the food is definitely worth it. It's definitely easier than making the 50 minute journey back to Surrey for kimchee and bibimbap.
    I forgot to add, it's a Japanese/Korean restaurant rather than just a Korean one. There's even a combined Korean & Japanese set menu, which you can eat in a spirit of cultural togetherness and pretend the 1905-1945 Japanese occupation of Korea never happened.