Sugar Lounge-please respect your neighbours

Comments

• edited 4:26PM
    Please tell me it's undercoat - if not I totally agree - truly offensive.
    I've heard from a few people that pink is the new "must have" colour in marketing/publicity - please say the pink isn't meant to be some kind of fashion statement!!
    They seem to be quieter than last year. I've been going to bed earlier as I have to get up earlier so it's been a lot more pleasant than last year. They also have a doorman which is great too.
    Awesome news
    Turns out the pink is an undercoat but I'm not sure if I prefer the horrific blue it's being painted this morning.
  • AliAli
    edited 4:26PM
    It has rained lots
    I really hope that blue isn't going to stay ...
    That red is so much nicer. Shame it kind of clashes with the pink, though....
    It's after midnight and you still have your chairs out. You promised before that at 11 pm that you'd take in the chairs and tables. You have generally been good over the summer but in the last few weeks you've taken in the tables later and later.

Please keep to your promise!
  • edited September 2011
    Actually no, I'm going to take Brodiej's advice.
    But it's a useful yet harmless way of letting off steam - eg there's 15 people outside there right now (2am) playing loud music - how sweet that they're having such a great night out. Outdoors. At all neighbours' expense.

Storming across the road is also not the way to talk to them, however. And their phone number seems to be broken...
  • JakJak
    edited September 2011
    <http://content.met.police.uk/Team/Haringey/StroudGreen>;

They're a bunch of piss taking bastards ('scuse my French).
    Why are you all so giddy about the Sugar Lounge ?
    They need to be dealt with , and they shall be.......

http://content.met.police.uk/Team/Haringey/StroudGreen

I would make the above a hyperlink , but the coding isn't working - just like the local police.
  • Jak, thank you for bringing this thread to our attention.

To my knowledge, nobody has voiced their concerns to the Safer Neighbourhoods Team before. If we are not made aware, there is not much we can do about it.

I not that this thread has been ongoing for nearly 3 months now, and whilst there was initially a complaint of noise back in June, but since then there does not appear to be any specific mention of noise on a particular day.

Has anybody spoken to the Environmental Health or Licencing department at the council, or indeed tried to speak directly to the management of the bar themselves?

PC Paul KANE 263YR
    Stroud Green Safer Neighbourhood Team
    the management have previously responded to threads on here, the main complaint seems to be from one individual. I'm not sure if jak has a specific complaint. there are drunk people outside all the drinking establishments on stroud green road smoking and talking loudly past midnight due to the late licence and smoking bans.
    I have made phone calls to relevant authorities before, but since SL do read these threads (and have been responsive) I'd prefer to ask them in a nice way (which I have) to keep to their promise of bringing in their tables at 11pm as promised. I've noticed a relaxation of this over the last month or so. Leaving out tables with people drinking on them causes excess noise.

The problem with Sugar Lounge is that they make an effort for a while then gradually try to get away with more and more. Why do they have to wait for police to turn up? And trust me, it's not one individual but most of the neighbours around here who find it very annoying.
  • edited September 2011
    The trouble is that the police actually have very limited powers when it comes to noise. At the time it usually happens however, we are the only people that are actually at work so we are the ones that get called.

Depending on what else is happening on the borough means that it will usually not always be a high priority for us. We will attend if we can, but criminal acts that are taking place at the time will always take precedence.

If it is a continuing issue, then what is needed is long term solutions with the police, council and bar owners working together. If that is not succesful then the only other option (as a last resort) would be enforcement action by means of review of the companies licence.

The other issue with Stroud Green Road is that it straddles 2 different local authorities. One side being Haringey and the other being Islington. Sugar lounge is actually on the Islington side of Stroud Green Road and comes under The London Borough of islington for licencing and policing purposes.

PC Paul Kane 263YR
    Stroud Green Safer Neighbourhoods Team
  • edited September 2011
    Thanks Paul for you comments and will liase with you if things get worse. Sugar Lounge are better this summer than last, when they had people out on tables at 3am with drinks. The bad summer probably played a part but I think they have made a bigger effort over June and July. However, things are getting slack over the last few weeks. I know it's a busy road, but I think all pubs/bars have a responsibility to keep noise down after 11pm, although compared to other pubs/bars on SGR Sugar Lounge is a late bar closing well after 3am at the weekend which means most people flock into the bar after midnight which means a lot more noise around SL than other bars. I know of bars on other main streets who have two door persons around to make sure noise is kept to a minimum. It'd be happy if one good door person worked well . Maybe the owner Bee is on holiday and while the boss is away.....
  • This thread came up in conversation earlier today; I've been told that there's someone at Islington Council who is keen to hear feedback on noise issues regarding Sugar Lounge, and would like to encourage people to get in touch if they're having difficulties with the noise levels. They're aware that SL is trying to do what they can to keep the noise levels down, as much as they are able. <br><br>The person to contact is Anne Brothers, Noise Liaison Officer; her email is anne.brothers@islington.gov.uk<br><br>Obviously most people on here are supportive of Sugar Lounge, but I said I'd pass this on. <br>
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • It'd be nice if the doorman was able to keep people quiet while they stand outside, too! :)<br>
  • Not sure if it's reasonable to expect a doorman to keep people quiet when they are walking down the road. I've never seen that anywhere!
  • I'm talking about the crowds of smokers who stand outside before going back in, i.e. Sugar Lounge's own customers. Seeing as they can't smoke inside or out back. And drunk smokers are very noisy people indeed, especially after 1am. <br><br>The doorman may well be wearing earplugs... <br>
  • <p>Noticed the sugar lounge had a poster in their window about an application for a late licence today.  Neighbours have up to  Feb 14th to lodge a complaint if they see fit.  I think they have improved a lot over the last year, but find it odd that they've been taking in their chairs extra early over the last week.  I wonder has the posting of the application had any bearing on them taking in the chairs at 10 pm rather than the usual 11.30 pm.    Amazing how keeping a license makes a bar be more caring towards its neighbours, but please keep it up after you get the renewal.</p>
  • I haven't been there in ages but I believe that Bee is leaving or has left and someone else is taking over. You might see some changes there.
  • She's not leaving, but is going to be away for a while. Her brother is taking over/has already taken over.<br>
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • <P>Hey don't diss Chapter One - it was known as a great hotspot and its a real regret that it remains closed. I wish Sugar Lounge would open a second venue there - maybe more upbeat and rocking leaving the orginal SL to its existing sleepy sexy vibe.  I wonder who owns the Chapter One building?</P> <P> </P> <P>Chang</P>
  • Does anyone know what's happening to ex-Chapter One? I saw some workmen in there last weekend I think, looking like they're doing some work on the place. <br>
  • <p>I think they were just cleaning it up and taking a few things off the front in order to make it more attractive to prospective renters.  They put a 'to let' sign in the window after doing these jobs.</p>