Mrs Williams - Stroud Green Confidence Trickster

2»

Comments

• edited 1:24AM
    PS. Is this a common occurance, to have people knocking on your doors for money?
    I've been ripped off on Holloway Road once for a lot more than £6.20 so have now developed a skill to spot these people a mile away. I have seen this woman operating regularly in the area. Fairbridge Road, Tollington Park, Shaftesbury Road and more.
    I gave this old bloke with a zimmer frame outside Tesco £20 to get back to southampton where he lived (He tried to explain how he'd ended up on STR, something to do with christians, that i didn't understand).

He went off with a piece of paper with my address on promising that he could post back the next week, but i never received it. I was fairly convinced i would at the time though.

I rather hope he was a octogenarian fraudster, rather than he was so penniless he couldn't send it back, or he popped his clogs old the national express home.
    I think the level of confidence tricksters goes hand in hand with the number of crack houses around. When the police close them down, the problem diminishes. Didn't stop my father-in-law giving a bloke called Philippa £20 and then going to the cashpoint to get more!
    I met a Dutch girl with inflatable shoes the other day.
    Has she, since then, and it's a sad story, popped her clogs?
    I was dressed as an old bloke the other week outside Tesco (zimmer frame and everything) and I had this ace story about southampton, a spiritualist church and concorde and some reindeer. Anyway, a couple of people fell for it. One even gave me twenty quid
    Had a woman knock this afternoon who clamed to live up the road. Haggard looking in her 40s, black - not somebody I've ever seen. Managed to get me to tell her my name evn though I told mysef not to! She asked for £8.50 for 45 minutes andmentionedher tall husband who wears glasses in her back story. I claimed to have no change - hoorah!
    £8.50? Crack must be getting cheaper!
    She knocked again last night, just after half past midnight. I opened the door (expecting a drunken girlfriend) and saw this woman, who started to repeat her spiel ad verbatim. Then it dawned on her she recognised me and had knocked there before. I just said, "I'm not interested, you've knocked here before" and shut the door.
    You should give her a loyalty card, caffe nero style. Knock five times and get a cup of coffee, something like that.
    She's not getting a bean from me! (sorry)
    Just to let you know Mrs Williams is alive and well, and still in business - she paid a visit to me on Saturday morning (SHR - near the station) - she couldn't believe it when I told her I wasn't buying her story. Steve was mentioned too!
    This story's Not SGR related because I was in Vauxhall, but on topic because I think the guy was probably on crack.

I left my mate in my car to get something from the shop and while I was in there a guy came up to my mate and asked to use the lighter.

My friend took out the lighter and the guy said he wanted to light some incense in his car and would bring the lighter back straight away, so my mate handed it over and the guy said "You'll be lucky if you get that back" and walked away!

Then when I came out of the shop, just as my friend was telling me what happened the guy came back and handed back the lighter, but the metal from the top was missing and it was a bit melted around where the flame would be.

And after he gave back the lighter he said "And could you help me out, I need a couple of quid" We said no, and started driving away and he was following us shouting "Ok, fifty pee, please"

Obviously the crack blag stories are a bit more sophisticated round our way.
    There are some crims round here with a heart of gold, just as you'd expect in this 'hood.

A couple of years ago someone stole my car. It wasn't outside my house any more. I couldn't figure out why - it was a really badly beaten up old jalopy, full of dents and scratches. Turns out I'd left a set of keys in the boot though, so it was an easy steal.

I went outside and walked around, and suddenly I saw it - a hundred yards away at the other end of the street, with a geezer sitting in it.

"Excuse me," I said. "That's my car."

"Is it?" said the geezer, quite neutrally.

He looked a bit apologetic.

"Sorry," he said. "I thought it had been dumped."

II got a bit indignant. "Dumped? Do you mind? It's not dumped. That's my car, and I want it back."

"Right-ho. I haven't got the keys any more," he said. "Hold on." He got on his mobile and spoke to someone. "Two minutes."

Sure enough two minutes later, a souped up cortina with tinted windows and spoilers came roaring round the corner, and there was a guy sitting in it with a vest and a gold chain. He had his arm out the window, and dangling on the end of his fingers were my car keys. He had a big smile on his face. "Sorry mate," he said, cool as anything.

I took the keys. We both looked at each other for a bit.

And then we shook hands.

Now that's a good old fashioned SGR crim. A gent, underneath.
    @ KRS thats brilliant, just made me chuckle..