Moray Rd Barrier

Comments

• The barrier is there to keep the poor away, I don't want the poor to come up my street, who knows what they might do, this tiff raff need to be kept in line and locking them out is a great idea bloody lower class brining down the tone of the area with there prole thinking. No we will not go gentle into this good night, we will make sure that the working class stay working class by denying them access to the road. <div><br></div><div>Or on the other hand it's something important to people who live on Moray Road so I will keep on taking about it until it's sorted. </div><div><br></div><div>So in other words put that in your pipe and smoke it. </div>
  • edited October 2014
    @Kreuzkav: The barrier has a social benefit for the residents and children living on the streets surrounding it. It prevents lorries and cars cutting through to Seven Sisters Road/Hornsey Road. Thanks to the forum, collectively we have been able to lobby the council to fix/lock it every time it gets broken. Hopefully they have put up CCTV.  This surely is a positive of how people on stroudgreen.org can work together, even though not all of us on here know each other personally for a common social benefit. 
  • @ Detritus, keep on talking about it. I always suspected it was a social cleansing barrier.<div><br></div><div>@ Sutent I'm all for the barrier.  Could they put one up on my street, but I'll allow the poor in.</div>
  • Yes as it should be  
  • I'm baffled by Miss Annie's logic.  Somehow this street should be quiet but other streets are okay for traffic.  In my books that's just a lame excuse for nimbyism.  God forbid if a pub opened up outside your house.  Surely a fairer distribution of traffic is the solution.  And there are long term residents on all streets. <div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • You live on a main road.  They live on a residential backstreet which the Council and residents do not want to be used as a rat-run do to the obvious dangers. It shouldn't be too difficult to grasp, surely?
  • Yes, but I think the concerns are with quietness, not with the plight of children.
  • Yes, those are indeed your concerns.  As opposed to the concerns of the people discussing the Moray Road barrier.
  • @Kreuzkav. I am very disappointed in your criticism of the barrier. I would of thought you of all people on here would be in support of the safety and welfare of other members of the community. I would think I and many others on here would support you in any community related concerns.
  • I can see your points but people have children on other roads too which are used as rat-runs.  So maybe more barriers are called for. <div><br></div><div>It's made me think of a good name for a soap opera based in Stroud Green called The Barrier.  Lots of great characters come to mind.  Miss Annie the caring wordy person.  Sutent the altruistic doctor,  Kreuzkav, the resident grouch,  Detritus, the no-crap but caring action man.  Checkski, the thoughtful elder statesman who would dispense lots of good advice.  ADGS, alternative intellectual,  Matty, the cool NYorker in love with London.........</div>
  • @kreuzkav. Am sitting on Piccadilly line tube reading your post. I nearly fell off my seat laughing. I think Arkady and N19 and mirandola should be scripted in..
  • I'm a bit bored at the moment.  I don't have a TV and I've read so many books this year I'm a bit exhausted and when this happens my mind starts to fire.<div><br></div><div>Arkady, N19 and Mirandola are hard to place.  I think Mirandola is a woman. She's welsh or italian?</div>
  • I think I have met Mirandola. If she is the same person I am thinking she is American. I am probably wrong though. The barrier is open tonight. It was locked when I went out at 1515.
  • @kreuzkav would it be possible to meet you one day? I would really like that
  • Yes, I think it would be good but maybe in a few weeks.  It's time I stopped hiding behind the online persona.  By the way I love Stroud Green and the people on here.  I just like go grouch a lot.  
  • Perfect let me know when is good for you
  • I will private message you but next week is good if it is for you.  
  • I will get back to you with some dates. Am in Liverpool next week unfortunately in a meeting
  • No problem, The following week is probably better for me too.
  • Sorry if I come across as abrasive, it's nothing to do with noise we can't hear the traffic in the flat. It is a little to do with safety of kids it's one of the few streets that kids can kick a ball about on. But why I started the thread was because it should be shut, the gate is there for a reason, not sure what that reason is but it should stay shut. And it's playing havoc with my ocd.
  • I have met Sutent, but am not American.
  • Gate open again - reported on phone to the numbers above...oh the suspense!
  • Reported to council that I saw a Partners for Islington van speeding through, ignoring the no entry sign. Am wondering what more we can do.
  • Gate has been open for two weeks and is becoming a rat run from Fonthill through to Hornsey Rd. Reported four times to council but nothing in the way of response. Very frustrating!
  • <p>The gate is open every weekend, pretty sure someone on Birnam Rd has a key. A man came over and yelled at us when we pulled it shut last weekend and said that he needed it open because he has a lot of visitors!</p><p><br></p><p>The gate on Durham Rd was rammed by a van trying to turn round quite a few weeks ago and hasn't been mended yet so the roads are getting quite busy with people cutting through to Seven Sisters Rd and Hornsey Rd.</p><p><br></p><p>I've complained to the council, if you'd like to do the same the email addresses are here.</p><p><br></p><p><span style="font: 16px/normal Calibri, sans-serif; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); text-transform: none; text-indent: 0px; letter-spacing: normal; word-spacing: 0px; float: none; display: inline !important; white-space: normal; widows: 1; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;">Councillor   <a href="mailto:Gary.Heather@islington.gov.uk">Gary.Heather@islington.gov.uk</a></span><br style="font: 16px/normal Calibri, sans-serif; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); text-transform: none; text-indent: 0px; letter-spacing: normal; word-spacing: 0px; white-space: normal; widows: 1; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;"><span style="font: 16px/normal Calibri, sans-serif; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); text-transform: none; text-indent: 0px; letter-spacing: normal; word-spacing: 0px; float: none; display: inline !important; white-space: normal; widows: 1; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;"><a href="mailto:Flora.Williamson@islington.gov.uk">Flora.Williamson@islington.gov.uk</a></span><span style="font: 16px/normal Calibri, sans-serif; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); text-transform: none; text-indent: 0px; letter-spacing: normal; word-spacing: 0px; float: none; display: inline !important; white-space: normal; widows: 1; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;"></span></p><p><span style="font: 16px/normal Calibri, sans-serif; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); text-transform: none; text-indent: 0px; letter-spacing: normal; word-spacing: 0px; float: none; display: inline !important; white-space: normal; widows: 1; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;">Highways  Manager  <a href="mailto:James.Guckian@islington.gov.uk">James.Guckian@islington.gov.uk</a></span></p><p><span style="font: 16px/normal Calibri, sans-serif; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); text-transform: none; text-indent: 0px; letter-spacing: normal; word-spacing: 0px; float: none; display: inline !important; white-space: normal; widows: 1; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;"><a href="mailto:Peter.Thompson@islington.gov.uk">Peter.Thompson@islington.gov.uk</a></span></p><p><span style="font: 16px/normal Calibri, sans-serif; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); text-transform: none; text-indent: 0px; letter-spacing: normal; word-spacing: 0px; float: none; display: inline !important; white-space: normal; widows: 1; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;"><a href="mailto:Mick.O'Sullivan@islington.gov.uk">Mick.O'Sullivan@islington.gov.uk</a></span></p><p><span style="font: 16px/normal Calibri, sans-serif; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); text-transform: none; text-indent: 0px; letter-spacing: normal; word-spacing: 0px; float: none; display: inline !important; white-space: normal; widows: 1; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;"><a href="mailto:Asima.Shaikh@islington.gov.uk">Asima.Shaikh@islington.gov.uk</a></span></p><p><span style="font: 16px/normal Calibri, sans-serif; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); text-transform: none; text-indent: 0px; letter-spacing: normal; word-spacing: 0px; float: none; display: inline !important; white-space: normal; widows: 1; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;"><a href="mailto:Janet.Eacott@islington.gov.uk">Janet.Eacott@islington.gov.uk</a></span></p><p><br style="font: 16px/normal Calibri, sans-serif; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); text-transform: none; text-indent: 0px; letter-spacing: normal; word-spacing: 0px; white-space: normal; widows: 1; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;"><span style="font: 16px/normal Calibri, sans-serif; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); text-transform: none; text-indent: 0px; letter-spacing: normal; word-spacing: 0px; float: none; display: inline !important; white-space: normal; widows: 1; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;">Subject: RE: Moray Rd gate</span></p>
  • Islington council have put up CCTV pointing at the barrier. Not sure if they are trying to catch those who open the gates or the friendly drug dealers from andover we have at the moment. I hope they dont arrest the drug dealers as they are the best quietest drug dealers we have had from the estate in a while.
  • They emailed me (after a lot of emails about the gate), to say they were going to do this a while ago. It's for monitoring the people who open the gate. Don't think they'll be too bothered about anything else unless people are complaining about it. I don't see any of that action but I don't think the drug dealers are from the estate, A neighbour told me that half the drugs in N4 are supplied by the bloke who lives halfway between my house and the gate - the one Tesco busker occasionally lives with.
  • I'd be careful about posting stuff like that.....
  • <p>Why? It's fairly common knowledge by all accounts.</p>