New Members (very exciting!)

1101112131416»

Comments

• edited October 2011
    Hello all Stroud Greeners and Finsbury-ites, I just came across this site by accident whilst searching for a dentist and ended up becoming a member on stroudgreen.org instead! Great site...I hope to become an avid contributor with constructive insight and reviews et cetera.
    As for me, well, lived in the States and Rio for 16 years and moved to Fonthill Road a little over 6 months ago with my partner. Love the neighborhood and the close proximity of Stroud Green road and the fantastic array of restaurants, halal butchers and grocery stores....Very much looking forward to exploring all that the neighborhood has to offer. So...can anyone recommend a great dentist in the area that I was originally searching for?LOL
  • edited 2:19PM
    Although I joined this amazing site a few days ago, and have left comments about certain topics , I have only just found the new members site. Wish that I had found it sooner. I left the house in Fonthill road where I was born and bred, 41yrs ago as a teenager.My family and I lived at No 41 which my parents bought in 1949 when they married. The house cost around £400 and included an old motorbike that was left in a downstairs room! The basement had 2 rooms and a scullery, a walk in pantry, a loo and a coal cellar. The first floor was much more upmarket. 2 rooms which had folding doors to make 1 large room. One of them was my bedroom. It had a big grey marble fireplace as a focal point.There was also a 'bathroom' but no bath as I guess tin baths were used when the house was built. The 2 top floors had just 2 rooms on each level, these were quite plain. Would really love to hear from anyone living in my old home, or anyone living in a similar property in Fonthill road especially someone living there in the 60,s.
    Hello,

I am new, I have spent 2 Months living very close to the Dairy, which is now my 'local', and am very much enjoying Stroud Green. I don't have a dog but I do sometimes walk a dog (look out for a girl being walked by a boxer).

Lovely site, very much enjoying the photo thread - although I am crap at it. Thinking of joining the book group and would like to know more about these drinking groups!
  • JakJak
    edited August 2011
    Hi all , I'm new here so don't gang up on me (!).
    I was born in the maternity hospital that once existed in Hanley Road so you could say I've never been away , and I spent the first 18 years of my life in Connaught Road.
    I had a milk-round when I was eleven or so with Morgan's Dairies (remember them ?).
    Melvyn (the milkie I worked with) used to sneak off to see his bit of stuff in Crouch Hall Court and I'd go off in the milk float delivering the dairy produce (the good old days).

I could go on and on - but there's plenty of time for that...
    Hello Stroud Greeners,
    I'm new to the site and Stroud Green, having moved to the area just a over two months ago now. Thought I would get involved in the discussions as I found this site very useful for finding out where (and where not) to go when I first moved.
    So far I'm really enjoying living here. My favorite places at the moment are Pappagone's, Petek, Rainbow cafe, Vitor's hairdressers, the Old Diary, the Noble, and just about all the fruit and veg/butcher's shops!
    I'm a musician and website manager and Stroud Green is the perfect location for me, plus a lovely little neighbourhood to boot. I've found everyone really friendly, so hoping to make this my home for a long time!
    Hopefully will get involved in some of the discussion topics and will talk to some of you soon.
    Hi,

I am an exile from West London after moving in with my boyfriend, a longstanding N4 loyalist. For the last 6 months I've lived in a flat on Stroud Green Road and (fingers crossed) am about to move to a house on Florence Road. I am an English teacher and I work in Hampstead. I love N4, especially the SGR, and couldn't imagine ever living anywhere else. It would be much too far away from Jai Krishna.

Laura
    Hello
    I am newish to living in N4 but know the area reasonably well as my in laws live nearby. I left N6 in the spring which apart from anything else had become very expensive. After six weeks sharing with family in SG(don't try it) I am renting a not-so-nice flat but have my eye on something nicer just behind Tescos. I still have a share in the flat sublet in N6 so a lot of my stuff is there and I need more space (or a big clear out). I have been introduced to some SG restaurants and other shops, even the church, cos of the local connections but I would like to branch out a bit. Season's restaurant is nice for a treat I must say. I have yet to really find the right local pub - seem to vary in atmosphere every time I go. This site looks intersting but I must say the political speeches from the older members leave me reaching for the x-box. Is it just me? Anyhow, hoping Sept will see new adventures in sunny SG.
    Welcome new folks! @ChangN4N6 You'd be surprised at the wide range of ages of the people who post the most articulate and well reasoned political stuff.
    I meant more the length of the membership , than age. the SG elders (who might be young) but are at really at home on the soapbox. But that is the Internet I guess ! Chang Ps I see Arsenal lost again today. I was in the Silver Bullet . Bit of a shock.
  • KenKen
    edited 2:19PM
    Just saying hello.

Been on Victoria Road for just past a year now.

'lo.
    hello everyone

new to forum; been in Stroud Green for a couple of years now, on t'Hanley road. Thought i'd say hello although this is a v long forum and unlikely anyone will ever read this far down.....
    Hello Tuckage and Ken. We see all!
    Indeed. Talking of which, I don't think I ever said hello. Moved here last year from Kentish Town, have two cats and one partner, live on the Lower East Side. Hello all.
  • sgcsgc
    Hiya, I'm here because I have a few friends who live in SG and have mentioned this board - we don't have anything like it in my neck of the woods so I was curious as to what on earth there could be to talk about. Er, so, that's it, really. Hello!
    I think round your way the 'community' communicates via BBM...
  • JakJak
    No need for that !
  • sgcsgc
    Ah, well, tragically I have a proper grown-up's phone, so am left out of that! *sob*
    Hi there, I bought a flat on Hanley Road a couple of months ago. About me, well, I’m 33, I’m often at the gym, running or cycling around Finsbury Park. I’m a big fan of stand up, so will often head up to the hen and chicks or the Old Kings Head. I also love the Sunday jazz sessions at the latter. I feel blessed to have two fantastic locals, in the Dairy and the Stapleton. Sadly, all of my friends live in South West London, so I don’t get to frequent them as often as I would like. So, if you fancy heading for a roast or a few cheeky shandies some time, let me know!
    Hi there, I bought a flat on Hanley Road a couple of months ago. About me, well, I’m 33, I’m often at the gym, running or cycling around Finsbury Park. I’m a big fan of stand up, so will often head up to the hen and chicks or the Old Kings Head. I also love the Sunday jazz sessions at the latter. I feel blessed to have two fantastic locals, in the Dairy and the Stapleton. Sadly, all of my friends live in South West London, so I don’t get to frequent them as often as I would like. So, if you fancy heading for a roast or a few cheeky shandies some time, let me know!
  • SBWSBW
    hullo sg.org, great site. i am quite new to the area (less than a year) but moved here after a friend described it as the best place she had ever lived in london. she moved to norfok shortly afterwards though. Things i like: pleasant streets, excellent restaurant choice, parkland walk. Things I don't like: lack of beer gardens, dog crap on pavements, council signs on every other tree saying it is for the chop
    Welcome, new people! Enjoy all that SG has to offer.
  • edited October 2011
    hello All
    I hope discovering this site is going to be the blessing i've been waiting for ... i live in Crouch End with my 8-year-old son, and am looking to move to Stroud Green before the end of the year, as my landlord is selling the house.

If anybody hears of a 2-bed flat going in the SG area(for rent), do let me know! It's a cruel rental market out there ...
    Thanks
  • Hello - longtime lurker and occasional contributor here. Trying to join in the community spirit of SG.org and not just ask woundingly practical questions/lecture people about cats.<div><br></div><div>I moved into the sunny uplands of Mount View Road about six years ago to be with my partner Tim. We have three cats and hope to get some hens later this spring.  We can't agree on what makes a suitable name for a hen. Top of my list are 'Londis' and 'She-Ra', but Tim prefers the traditional Bunty/Queenie/Gertie approach. </div>
  • <p>Hello barebackreader I have known about this website for a few years now when I looked at getting Chickens in my last place there is a whole thread on naming your Chickens plus lots of tips.</p><p><a href="http://www.backyardchickens.com/">http://www.backyardchickens.com/</a></p>;
  • Thanks Detritus, that site looks ace. I've got a lot to learn about chickens, it will be great to have some community support.
  • The only tip I can give is make the hen house and run 110% fox proof, I know the site is American but I don't think Chickens mind your accent.