Any fiction writers around?

edited February 2012 in About this site
Hi, all<br><br>I'm reasonably new to SG (coming from Stokey). I'm an author and editor and would love to do some workshops (writing/editing) for beginners and those who have aleady written a novel. I'd love to have a few volunteers who give me feedback on the workshops. <br><br>I would also love to start a writers' group where everything revolves around writing. Not so much into poetry, I'm afrraid, but anything other writing related, I'd be happy to discuss. Perhaps we could meet in a pub regularly or at people's flats, taking changes.<br><br>****UPDATE**** I've handed the group over into the wonderful hands of Vetski and Idoru, please get in touch with them if you're interested. <br><br>Edited to add: of course any non-fiction writers are welcome, too. I'm working on a cook-book which is non-fiction.<br>

Comments

• I proofread and edit (mostly academic work) but would be interested in a local creative writing workshop - I've never been to one, as the thought of other people reading/criticising what I've written does rather terrify me! I've got half a novel and some children's stories, and I like writing silly poems, Pam Ayres-style, though I suspect without the talent... So if you do set something up, please let me know.
  • Hi, vetski<br><br>Yes I will certainly do so. I know a few people on twitter who said they were interested being a guinea pig for the workshops, so I'll look into it. Might do it a bit more central for the workshops, but we can meet anyway and do a one-on-one session, if you like. I mostly work with first-time authors helping them to find their voice, bring the POV in order and help to enhance the storyline, so don't worry, I can be gentle. haha. I'm well known for my machete skills. I think for many it takes a lot to show their writings to others, but without critique, there's no improvement :-)<br>
  • edited January 2012
    <P>@Stella, indeed - my OH is so well-skilled at the machete approach that his PhD students call him 'The Pencil of Doom'! He doesn't get to read what I write...</P> <P>It would be good to meet you - perhaps you'd like to come and talk to the WI one day?</P> <P> </P>
  • I'd love to. <br><br>A lot of people are rather scared to show their writing to others. I remember sending my friend (she's a copy writer) my first 20 pages of the first novel and boy did she rip that apart. But she only confirmed what I knew already: it was utterly boring. <br>
  • I used to go to a writer's group back when I lived in SE London, I really enjoyed it (although they were mostly into writing science-fiction). My schedule is a bit haphazard, but if you want to set up a group, I'd love to come when I can!<br>
  • I used to write a lot (essays, novels, short stories), and between work and kids have not written much since doing an MA in Creative Writing at Goldsmiths back in 2003-2005.  I've been thinking and trying to return to writing and would really appreciate some sort of regular writing groups with discussion, feedback and criticism.<br><br>If you start-up something like this, count me in.<br><br>
  • Ah, now the site's open again. Funny, I've never been sent to bed by a website. Felt like a naughty little girl. <br><br>Hey, we're four people now, I think that should be fine for a start, what do you guys think? As everyone has busy lives, we could try to meet when it suits best for everyone and discuss further on that get together.<br><br>So you name your day and time and I'll try to adjust as I'm rather flexible.<br><br><br>
  • You guys seem to have a group now, but since I always like to plug the Big Green Bookshop, might as well still mention that they run a writers' group. In Wood Green, but only about half an hour's walk from SG.<br>
  • It is an awesome bookshop. 
  • Thanks for the recommendation, ADGS. Had a look at their website. Sounds like they are a rather active 'hands-on' book shop. Pro-active. I like that.<br><br>As to the writers' group: I'd love to have 'my own'; I'm stubborn, you see? It always has a nice feel to it, to launch something yourself, but there's no rule against joining both. :-)<br>
  • With the rest of the family away for a few days next week, I could manage the evening of Sunday 29th?<br><br>
  • I'd love to be part of this! I've got a novel which I'm second-drafting - not that it's been seen by anyone yet.<br>And I think you should have 'your own' group anyway, Stella - we should be a Stroud Green group.<br>Can't do Wed. morning (until the end of Feb), Thursday evening, and every other Wed. evening is also blocked. Any other time - great! <br>
  • I so agree, norn. We will be the Stroud Green writers! Yes!<br><br>Sunday, the 29th is okay for me. I'm a bit tight up this next week as I'm currently preparing my next book for publishing, but I think I would be able to work around it.<br><br>Anyone else available next Sunday?<br><br>vetsky, harpistic, norn iron?<br>
  • I think I've said this before, but the space above the North Library is available to rent and very striking. 
  • Would be perfect for my workshops. Thanks, Mirandola.<br>
  • Actually, Sundays are best for me too, and it'd be a lovely way to end the week! My writing activities are mostly limited to editing and reviews these days, so I'd love the "excuse" to branch out more!<br><br>I've noticed (from here) that the Stapleton and Old Dairy are popular for groups, eg the knitting group, but apart from those, I wouldn't know where to suggest. <br>
  • I love The Old Dairy. Went there for the first time on Friday and quite love the ambiente. We'll have to see how it is Sunday evening. Fridays gets quite crowded and loud.<br>
  • I think if we met around 5ish or 6ish it'd be pretty quiet - not that I've ever been there on a Sunday, ahem. Heh, I wonder if that's an excuse to pop in this evening.... !<br>
  • If you do, give me a shout. :-) Thought exactly the same. <br><br><br>
  • *laughs* Sounds good to me! I've got a review to write, but apart from that.... :)<br>
  • I've sent you a message. Tell me when and I'll be there.<br>
  • Just read it, about to reply :)<br>
  • Okay harpistic and I agreed on 6.30pm at the Stapleton Tavern tonight. Just for testing the waters. Everyone who's interested in writing and in the mood for a relaxed drink, pop by and say hello.<br>
  • We'll probably move onto the Old Dairy (and beyond?!) at some point, so if anyone wants to join us and isn't sure where we are, drop me a message. <br><br>I realise how stalker-friendly that sounds... !!! <br>
  • We'll probably end up with hundreds of people following us around SG. And I only wanted to set up a writers' group....<br>
  • And that DEFINITELY wouldn't be representative of what these pubs are normally like on Sunday nights - oops! <br><br>* changes contact email for sg.org *<br>
  • Well, if it's too many singles, we quickly turn that into a speed-dating event. I'm flexible, you see?<br>
  • And if we charged even a fiver per head we'd be making a bloody fortune!! ;)<br>
  • <P>Hi all, I've just seen this thread now so missed the first session - hope it was good. I'm new to this site and fairly new to writing but have some stuff I'd like to share on a not-too-regular basis (work, being pregnant, life, other valid excuses for making very slow progress)...I'd be delighted if you could send me a message when you're next planning to meet.</P> <P> </P>
  • Oh blimey, I have a sneaky feeling this evening might become interesting.<br>