Any fiction writers around?

Comments

• Anu, <br><br>Welcome to the thread. Um, there was no session. Yet. Harpistic and I will meet up tonight to test the events. You're welcome to pop by. :-)<br>
  • Assuming even one drink at the Stapleton and one drink at the Old Dairy, I'm guessing we won't be wrapping up till some time after 7.30pm...... (if I ever get this wretched review finished!)<br>
  • Do you only do fiction or could a non-fiction person infiltrate? 
  • Totally - see initial post (edited)!<br>
  • Mirandola, you are welcome, too. ;-)<br><br>harpistic, I'm leaving now. Takes me about five minutes. <br>
  • <P>Tried the Stapleton - very noisy, and didn't spot anyone who seemed likely to be @Stella or @harpistic. So came home. If either of you pick this on a smartphone, post back - with a full physical description! - and I'll come and find you.</P>
  • We were there! (Still are). Just about to move on to the Old Dairy (once @Stella finishes her wine). Have phoned @vetski - anyone else wants to meet up, just drop me a message!
  • Just picked up these messages, so I hope that the 'testing the water' experiment went well?  How many waters did you test?  I've been a fan of the Stapleton since we moved here a couple of years ago, and would be happy to meet there if it's not too loud.<br><br>Let us know how it goes, and what time to meet on the 29th. 6:30 or 7 would be fine.<br><br><br>
  • We're at Sugar Lounge if you want to join us - but we're a bit tipsy now! :) Great to meet @vetski earlier - we think Sugar Lounge is probably the quietest place, but I'll leave all that up to @Stella...
  • <P>Ahhaa yes I got seriously confused by earlier messages - for whatever reason I thought you had organised to meet tonight, but I guess the talk was about the 29th...hope the testing session tonight was good though. I'd still be interested in joining in some shape or form, and would probably  be free <FONT color=#339999>next</FONT> Sunday.</P> <P>G'nite all.</P>
  • Stella and I met up this evening to check out possible venues, and @vetski joined us briefly. This evening was just very informal (Stella persuaded me to buy her two books), discussing ideas, iguanas and much more. Good fun! :)<br>
  • Huh? I didn't persuade anyone. You clicked the one-clicky thingy before I knew! Doh. :-) I would never persuade anyone to buy my books. Just saying.<br><br>But we had good fun and The Old Diary or Stapleton won't be an option for busy football days. Too loud, too crowded and that's not what we need.<br><br>I think there's room for at least two workshops and a writers' group. Next on the 29th to see if the Sugar Lounge works for us.<br>
  • Sorry I missed all the waters-testing but next Sunday (29th) p.m. sounds good for me. Could you confirm venue - I presume Sugar Lounge - and time?<br>
  • edited January 2012
    Norn. looks like it's going to be the Sugar Lounge. We asked specifically if that's okay and they said yes. The time will be announced next week. I'll pop in an asked them again for confirmation. If all goes pear-shaped, I'll host the next one at my place.<br>
  • @Stella - you just said all the right things about your books, am looking forward to reading them! :)<br>
  • Well, I'm proud of them and usually never stop talking about writing or my books :-)<br><br>If you hate them let me know and why. Of course also when you love them. haha.<br>
  • I can't believe I missed this till now! I'm a journalist, but I love writing fiction (frustrated novelist!), and I'd love to join writing group, although I'm not sure what one really consists of. Let me know what time on Sunday and I'll try to make it - I've got my mum coming to stay so might not be able to.<br>
  • I'll keep you posted, Idoru.:-)<br>
  • Hi, all. Sunday's the first 'official meeting' and I'd like to suggest that you bring notes of what you expect/want/don't want from our writers' group. I want it to be fun, yet informative. There should be discussing writing, nuts and bolds and also some challenges. For the time being it seems the Sugar Lounge is the best option as we can have a table in the back room. Once we're more established we can look for something more private, if needed. So Sunday the 29th from 6 to 8pm. <br><br>Everyone happy with that?<br>
  • I think it's rather difficult to get everyone at one table on a particular day. Life often interferes. We will see. I just wouldn't want to sit there on my own on Sundays. :-)<br><br><br>
  • I'm in.  Look forward to meeting people then.<br>
  • <P>i like stella</P> <P>stella artois</P> <P>helps "one" to become creative,as the royal family might say...</P> <P>i prefer the 5% stella one pint bottles...and a smoke...</P> <P>carrry on</P>
  • You just haven't met me yet. It probably won't change your preference, but I guess as far as creativity goes... if the 5% do more for you than I, then be it. :-)<br><br>@Box runner see you Sunday. <br>
  • <P>I'll try to make it too...thanks for organising this.</P> <P>Is there a code of some sort (insert smiley face) to know what's the right table to join? </P> <P> </P>
  • Yeah, you have to click your tongue three times while stomping your foot twice. :-)<br><br>No, I think you'll find us easily. It didn't look too busy last Sunday. And we're in the back room (straight through). <br><br>Thanks for coming, too. I'll post a prompt tomorrow, so you'll have a bit of time to write until Sunday. It's just a warm-up. <br>
  • One of us should print off some pages with STROUD GREEN WRITERS or something so we can have them on the table for new arrivals - ?<br>
  • I'll bring one of my books. The red one with the iguana in a sock on the cover. I'll put that on the table and that'll do for recognition. :-)<br><br><br>
  • Writers, what are the ethics of pumping up your own Amazon reviews?<div><br></div><div>A few years ago, there was book written by a sort-of well known (well, mostly just rich and entitled) person. It was awful. Shockingly awful. It had a lot of marketing and it inspired the only amazon book review I have ever written. But it did have a lot of 5-star reviews</div><div><br></div><div>Now his second book is out, and it's got a handful of 5-star reviews, from the same people who only ever reviewed his last book, or products released by the company he owns. </div><div><br></div><div>It's clear he's pimping friends, staff and PRs to write about how fabulous it is. Is this generally accepted, or NOT OK?</div>
  • @andy<;br><br>Ethically I'd say it's very much not OK as it distorts the ratings system and goes against the grain (and the spirit) of how these should be used.<br><br>I realise the above may sound naive, and there is a good counter that as long as you have sufficient critical mass of reviews, authentic ones will drown out the marketing dross.  But that assumes that there are sufficient reviews to do this, which often there aren't. <br><br>I work in web development and have come across the thorny issue of SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) time and tie again.  There are good and legitimate ways of doing it, there are illegal and evil ways of doing it, andthere are grey areas.  I woudl say this falls int othe grey area, not least becuase (as I've had said to me on many occasion) "if we don't do it, we'll fall behind because everyone else is doing it".  That's normally the point I realise I'm wasting my breath.<br><br>