Are you too scared to cycle in London?

Comments

• Gee, Detritus, that's really bad luck. Speedy recovery. <br><br>I'm also 'healing' nicely, cycling around on the shop's bikes, but hopefully be on one of my Viscounts again tomorrow. I miss my racers.<br>
  • Anyone looking for an affordable bike, by the way? <br>I thought it's suitable to this thread, and as I'd like to get people interested in cycling I decided to be bold and recommend the bike shop I'm working at. It's opened in June and is run by Noah, who previously managed the London Fields Cycles workshop. He knows his stuff, that much is clear.<br>The bikes are imported Japanese bicycles, mostly lady's step-through frames, single or 3-speed, with front basket support, most have rear racks--all have mud guards, hub gears and many of them have hub dynamos. Prices range from 100 (single speed, cosmetically not so great condition, but sound mechanically) to 350 (special Japanese Mama bikes with integrated child seats.<br><br>Here's the website if you'd like to have a look. http://mamachari.co.uk/<br><br>Disclaimer: I don't get anything out of this and Noah doesn't even know I'm posting, but I can definitely vouch for the shop since I'm the one who's servicing the bikes and test riding them home. Of course, Noah checks them over. Not a mechanic yet, me. :-)<br><br>
  • <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">this book is recommended for anyone who wants to cycle on the road. Though I've never read it but I might get it.  </font><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><br></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Cyclecraft - </font><a href="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cyclecraft-complete-enjoyable-cycling-children/dp/0117037400/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=OXW15AL7HEPB&coliid=I39ADA7KW65945" style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: small;">http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cyclecraft-complete-enjoyable-cycling-children/dp/0117037400/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=OXW15AL7HEPB&coliid=I39ADA7KW65945</a><div><br></div><div><br></div></div>;
  • Thank you, Matt. I think anything that helps people lose their fear of cycling in London (or elsewhere) is great. Five minutes on a bike (any bike) makes me smile. Can't help it. Everyone should at least try. If they don't like it--fair enough, but some might just discover something truly amazing. It's not about competition, but about freedom and enjoying yourself. <br>
  • No book is going to teach you about riding on Longon's roads unless it also teaches you how to be a mind reader. I'd recommend just doing it, short rides near home first, then spreading your wings as you get more confident. I've been riding my bike through Central London for nearly six months now, having not ridden a bike since I was a kid, and I learn something new about cycling in town almost every day.
  • miss annie I agree this is how I started riding my bike again after 15 years of being out of the saddle, small short local journeys at first and then moved into longer journeys. <div><br></div><div>I have heard that book is good for knowing how to position yourself while cycling whether you should be in primary or secondary position. </div><div>However what I find is most drivers don't understand these positions and why a cyclist takes primary (for their own safety and the drivers), drivers just think we do it to be aggressive and take over the road when it is really to stop a stupid overtake at a dangerous point (narrow road, pinch point, blind corner, dip in the road etc etc). </div><div><br></div><div>Sometimes reading something that is official endorsed gives people a bit more confidence to know what they are doing is correct and legal. </div>
  • Oh, I just thought it was common sense that I should be ahead of the cars and buses at traffic lights. I give extremely hard stares to motorists who invade my cycle box. The only time I don't go in front is if there's a lorry, you have to be about 8ft ahead of them for them to see you from the cab!
  • I've got Cyclecraft somewhere, but my favourite bike book has to be; Richards Bicycle Book.   I was given it in the 1980's when I bought my first adult bike.    I still have it and look at it sometimes.   It has lovely little drawings in it.  It's been updated but I like my pre-lycra one.   http://www.amazon.co.uk/Richards-Bicycle-Book-Richard-Ballantine/dp/0330267663.<div><br></div><div>Anyone noticed more bikes or bits stolen recently?  I had both wheels taken on Moray Road last week, when it was locked for a minute and a friend had their bike lifted out of their garden on Mount View Road.   </div>
  • Common sense or sheer luck if you don't possess it is essential when cycling (or in general when being on the road). Unfortunately, there are plenty of people who don't have common sense.<br><br>My offer stands: if anyone is too scared, I'd be happy to cycle with them a few times. I promise I'll not guide you into bollards; that pleasure is reserved for when I'm on my own and <i>extremely </i>tired. lol<br>
  • I've had cars over take me, particularly near Hornsey Road, when they have absolutely no space to do so. I try to be quite aware on the road and you usually see/hear them coming, so you can get out of the way.
  • It seems that many drivers don't know the measurements of their cars. I see them struggling to get into a parking space that's big enough for a bendy bus, and carefully driving past each other when there's at least a metre between them. On the flip side, they overtake you, almost shoving you off the road. Knowing the size of your vehicle is crucial. I've also never seen so many dented cars in my life. <br>
  • I've just had an email about safety tips for drivers and cyclists from TfL. It's pretty basic stuff: drivers, leave space for cyclists at stop lights; cyclists, don't ride through red lights; etc. But it got me to thinking. Any drivers signed up to receive such emails are probably already observing these rules; it's the other ones, the ones that think it's OK to go racing past cyclists when there's just a few inches space or stop in the box designated for cyclists at junctions, that need to be given the message. <br><br>So the question is how to get the message to those drivers. And my thought is: do driving lessons/test do enough to teach drivers about how to drive around cyclists? I took my lessons and test some time ago now, but I can't remember anything specifically about cyclists. Surely this is wrong? <br>
  • <P>cyclists who jump red lights can be fined £30, motorists who stop  in cycle boxes can be fined £100 and get 3 points</P> <P><A href="http://www.itv.com/news/london/story/2013-08-15/fines-for-misuse-of-bike-boxes/">http://www.itv.com/news/london/story/2013-08-15/fines-for-misuse-of-bike-boxes/</A></P>; <P>There is also an interesting (out of date a bit) study on red light violaters here</P> <P> </P> <P><A href="http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/traffic-note-8-cycling-red-lights.pdf">http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/traffic-note-8-cycling-red-lights.pdf</A></P>; <P>TfL will be implementing cameras to deal with car in cycle boxes. Also belive that SCOOT may be getting  enhanced  to count cylists and pedestrians to take them into account in traffic light phasing. </P>
  • edited September 2013
    As a cyclist, I think that any cyclist who is also a motorist should have points added to their license when they violate road laws on their bike - jumping red lights etc. You can't do it in a car, don't do it on a bike!
  • Quick question. When waiting at traffic lights and you're in the cycle zone and you're going to turn right, where you should you position yourself?
  • I indicate then put myself towards the right, but staying central in that lane so no one can pull round in front of me. I go as far ahead of the cars as I can up to the crossing line and keep my arm out the whole time at the lights. What does everyone else do?
  • I position myself to the right (centre of right lane), so that it's clear where I'm going. If the traffic's flowing, I will either indicate or look over my shoulder (or both) to see if the driver behind me is sensible. Often I indicate and don't immediately change lanes as I've learned that many drivers just think they can 'whizz by' the 'slow' cyclist. Oh, the cursing ... Mine, that is, but it's all but forgotten a few seconds later. <br><br><br>
  • If turning right then I position myself in the middle of the right-hand lane (or towards the right-hand side of a single lane).<div>Road positioning is my biggest issue with other cyclists. One thing I was taught as a kid was to be positive, the amount I see cycling in the gutter is scary, that and undertaking moving vehicles.</div>
  • Absolutely agree, yagamuffin. If you cycle too close to the kerb, it will encourage drivers to overtake you. Same with cars honking when you're in a side road, about to go into a main road. what's he honking for? If I were a car he wouldn't get past me either. If the street was free, I'd be gone, don't worry.<br>
  • Thanks for the replies. I was asking because my commute has recently changed from Hampstead to Euston and i've noticed alot of bikes way out left even when turning right. I wanted to know if I was wrong or them, sounds like them!
  • I would look behind me to check it's safe, signal and then move over to the centre of the right-hand lane or right of centre if it's a single lane. Basically my aim is to make myself as visible as possible to other road users. If I had fur I'd be fluffing it all up like cats do. <br>
  • Had a smug moment today: I cycled under the bridge SGR/FP stn. and it there was a car in front of me, more braking than moving. The driver behind me was a tad nervous and beeped his horn at me. Well, he wouldn't have been able to overtake me anyway, and if so, he'd not been able to move, for the car in front of him. Of course, the next opportunity he'd get, he overtook me, then had to hit the brakes (moron!). He then drove very close to the kerb at the traffic lights, to make sure he's blocked me. <br>Ha! With a big smile, I just (yes, very naughty) rode past him on the right, then, and just when the traffic lights jumped to orange, and the car before him moved, I positioned myself in front of him and then went to the right, which caused him to beep again. I do those things rarely, but, hey, I had my fun doing that. <br>
  • It is fun to mess with dopey drivers sometimes :)<div><br></div>
  • <P>This is quite a useful site for cycling law</P> <P><A href="http://ukcyclerules.com/">http://ukcyclerules.com/</A></P>;
  • <P>This is quite a useful site for cycling law</P> <P><A href="http://ukcyclerules.com/">http://ukcyclerules.com/</A></P>;
  • Ha! Ali, so useful that you had to repeat yourself, eh? :-)<br><br>Yogamuffin: yep. I'm normally quite laid back and can't be bothered to get involved with anyone, I'll have my huff and two seconds later, it's forgotten, but this one tickled me a little.<br>
  • Had a look, Ali. Interesting. I find it very odd that someone would just open a car door without looking. Even if it hadn't been for the cyclist, the bus would have taken the door off. <br><br>Some people are just thoughtless idiots. I avoid cycling too close to cars, but then, you see them just opening a door at the traffic light to let someone get out of the car and if you're too fast and not prepared--bang!<br>
  • This is the problem with cycle lanes, especially those stupid ones on the outside of parked cars. They suggest you are safest riding in the gutter...
  • A simple way of stopping cyclists going through red lights is if they get caught and have a driving licence put 3 points on it, people will soon stop.
  • Which punishes all cyclists with a driving licence and not those without one. Also these things only work if they're enforced. I'd say a fine is worse than points, and as pointed out above the law is already in place for cyclists to be fined for jumping red lights. But as far as I can tell the law isn't enforced properly so it's ignored. Just the same as drivers stopping in the cyclist boxes at junctions. Happens all the time, despite there being a £100 fine in place. <br>