SG Cycling Club

Comments

• Anyone been out riding today? I went to Hyde Park via Camden/Regent's Park. Great three hours of trying to pedal against the wind. What can I say; Wind 1:0 Stella<br>
  • I do hate cycling against wind, and I'm so sick of cycling to work in the rain. Roll on March!<br><br>Haven't been out today, but planning on going out tomorrow.<br>
  • I don't think I know of anyone who loves cycling against the wind. It's a real pain. As for cycling in the rain: on some days I don't mind, but when it's cold rain and windy, it's not fun at all. <br>Hopefully the weather is a great or better tomorrow, I'm planning on going for another ride. Not sure where to, but I really would love to try Epping Forest to meet my friends, but given that I got lost again today ... First I couldn't find the Hyde Park, then, on the way back, I couldn't find Regent's Park, and then missed the 'exit' at the outer circle and had to go another round (well, might as well, I thought). <br>How can an intelligent person be so without any sense of direction? It's almost painful and most annoying. My phone's useless and can never connect to a map. Grrrrr.<br>
  • The other day I got so we cycling in to town I had to buy a whole new set of clothes from Primark! Not good.
  • You lost me, Peter. What happened?<br><br>I went to Epping Forest today. Because I'm such a smartarse, I wrote everything down (looked at Google maps and planned my route), then left without the piece of paper, only to find that I had a flat tyre. So I went to Micycle to get myself back on track. (I needed an inner tube and their pump.) <br>Took me roughly 90 min. to get to EP, because I wasn't sure and needed to ask a few times, and riding on that tow path was terrible. Muddy and the path isn't actually great for road bikes with its sharp stones everywhere, which slowed me down. I think it could be done in an hour. <br>Feeling rather spent now and my quads are hurting (which is a new thing after cycling), from the long climbs. <br>My bike looks like I went somewhere off-road (which I basically did), and is in dire need of a wash and I can't stop sneezing as my hay fever has started. All in all a great ride, though. About 25 miles, I think.<br>
  • The chap and I went to the Butler's Retreat on the edge of Epping Forest (it's only a short 5-miler from Walthamstow. Really nice ride in the sunshine for once! Gave my bike a good clean when we got home, so feeling very virtuous now. 
  • Did you get the touring bike you had your eyes on? I'm way too tired to clean the bike today. Will try to get that sorted tomorrow. <br>The weather was gorgeous today. Although I was worried it would rain when thick clouds started to build up. Somehow, they miraculously disappeared.<br>
  • Cycled into town (Piccadilly Circus), to catch up with some work, and then home at about 10pm. I absolutely love cycling round town at night. Especially now Mabel has her super jazzy lights.
  • Cycling through London at night is awesome. I cycled many times at 3.30 am and loved it. City is at rest at that time.<br>
  • Right. I might be going home this weekend but if not does anybody fancy getting this club moving on Sat morning? Maybe a nice short ride (i.e back by lunch time) to get us started?
  • I'm always up for a ride. <br>
  • Yeah any suggestions as to something relatively short?
  • Define short, please.<br>
  • Erm...5 miles? I've never really tried to ride more than 3 miles in one go!
  • Okay. I think we could go either to Camden's outer circle or maybe to Hackney, along the canal. I'm sure you manage well. We don't need to race.<br>
  • Both sound lovely. I'm 90% sure I'll be around as train prices are silly to get home. I could also do Friday afternoon if you're free then? Or Saturday morning is fine too.
  • Friday late afternoon would be fine (from 3 of 4pm), but I think Saturday would be much better. Canal is a bit annoying at the weekend as it's always busy, and when it has rained it's a dirt track (depending on which way you're going).<br>
  • So Saturday then? What time suits you? Where shall we meet?<div><br></div><div>Is anyone else up for it?</div>
  • I think 11am would be good for me. We could meet up corner of SGR/Tollington Park, then go from there.<br>
  • Any chance we could do 10am? Or is that too early?
  • Putting off setting off on my bike to Euston. Can't be doing with all that wind!
  • So sorry to mess you around. Turns out I WILL be going home this weekend so won't be able to make it....sorry!
  • Don't worry, Peter. I'll be riding anyway, no matter what. Unless it's pissing down in bucket, that is. You have fun at home. Summer's coming at some point. <br><br>I also get the feeling people aren't happy about me 'leading' the club or have a problem with my being part of it altogether. If that's the case, then I'll be glad to pull out and do my own thing. I just thought it was a nice idea. <br><br><br>
  • Oh sorry! I don't have a problem...it was your idea! I'm genuinely going home. My parents rang and said they'd pay for my ticket so couldn't exactly say no. Shall we pencil in next Saturday? But i'd like to be back by 12:45 to watch the Sunderland game on the telly!
  • Can't imagjne why anyone would have a problem with you leading Stella. It was your idea and I'm sure it will take off when the weather improves a bit.
  • Stella it would be great if you led it. I had to pull out once and have been away lots.
  • I didn't mean you, Peter or Sutent. Particularly not you, Sutent. That would be very disappointing if you had a problem with me. :-)<br>I thought people may be reluctant, for the sometimes a little heated discussions on here, and that everyone thinks I'm cycling like a lunatic, encouraging others to do the same, both of which I don't do. All I want is get people on their bikes. :-)<br>Maybe it's really an issue related to weather. I cycle all year round and was recently called a 'die-hard cyclist' when I emerged from the heavy rain. <br>
  • Stella, we disagree on cycling styles and I doubt I'll join the cycling club, but that is not because you are leading it. It is because I mainly cycle round town to work and I'm usually too busy at weekends.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Thank you, Annie. I know a club means commitment and people are rather reluctant as they've got lives (unlike me! :-))<br>Need to rush now, have some work to do at the Academy. <br>