SG Cycling Club

Comments

• Stella, I'm sure no one would object to you leading the club. I might disagree with your cycling style, but it's not like you'd be trying to force me to change the way I cycle and I won't be doing the same to you. I'm sure there are many things we agree on and many things we disagree on - it's what makes life interesting. <div><br></div><div>I would think the main reasons for lack of uptake are weather and other commitments. I don't live in SG, but if you do any rides where I can meet up with you along the way I'll definitely try to come along. Especially longer rides as I'm in training for the London to Cambridge.</div>
  • edited February 2014
    If I  go at a snails pace on my ol sit up and beg and am doing well if manage 2 miles, going from here to Tottenham hale has me in bed most of the next day. If i get a mobility scooter may tag along on river trips ( i could follow at rear with refreshments and pick nick blanket) ;) <div><br></div><div>I still have the wee pda electric bike but its only got a 6 mile battery life and i dont like it!</div><div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • Yes, I don't think you should take it personally, Stella, it's just the usual terrible gap between intention and action! I think it's a great idea, and I would be delighted to take up cycling again in theory, but on any given weekend when there's a discussion here about where to go and when, I tend to find there are reasons why it isn't possible ... Some of those reasons are perfectly valid, of course, but some of them are just me being slack. But when the weather picks up I think it will be easier for people to get motivated again...
  • Ah, it's not so much me throwing my toys out of the pram rather than it being a feeling. I'm perfectly happy to do my own thing. Just thought if it's because of me, then I'd be happy to pull out and let you guys get on with it, you know what I mean? Glad to know it's not personal and we'll see what the warmer weather brings. <br><br>Toddlesocks: Do you suffer from ME, by any chance? It sounds very much like it. If so, I'm really sorry; I have a friend who's trapped in her own body because of that. <br>
  • So can we do a week on Sat?
  • I'm fine with that, Peter. I'll try to find a 'route' we can take and test it beforehand. <br>
  • edited February 2014
    @ stella - Its just general decrepitness, to much falling of horses in my younger days,s catching up with me now.<div><br></div><div>One of the reasons i love cycling nearest thing to being on the back of a horse without actually being on one ;)</div>
  • Last time I sat on a horse (about two years ago) I couldn't walk for two weeks. Worst pain ever! It may be better now since I'm a lot more fit, but I think I'd need to try. (My friend's got two massive horses and I'd like to try going on a ride with her again.)<br>
  • @ stella, yes horse riding is wonderful exercise , you sound very fit with all the cycling. I would say an hour is ample enough when  not used to riding regularly , build from that. <div><br></div><div> </div>
  • I'm not going to take up riding as a hobby. It's just a 'nice day out' with some fresh air and my friend. I'm sort of fit, but riding a bike and riding a horse uses two very different sets of muscles. I may have to do some more floor exercises beforehand. :-)<br>
  • Went for a great ride today: to Battersea Park and back. Wonderful relaxed, despite the strong winds. The sun was amazing and the roads were mostly clear (compared to weekdays and rush hour). It's roughly 22 miles, but I had some more in the tank. Guess I'll try to tag along with Micycle N1 soon; they go for 40-mile rides. Will be a nice challenge. <br><br>I'm still thinking about an easy 5- or 6-miler for next week. Peter, I may be able to go on Friday afternoon.<br><br><br>
  • Stella was wonderful this morning. She helped me by a bike and sorted all out for me. Thank you so much.
  • You're more than welcome, my dear. I'm happy you got a new bike that'll not break down every two months. I'll give it a good once-over at some point in the near future to make sure it'll be all lubed and smooth to ride, and sort out the rear brake.<br>I expect a report tomorrow. :-)<br>
  • Safe riding on your new Bike Mabs. It's a beautiful ride.
  • Rich, if you ever fancy coming along with us, just drop us a message. Your bike is in good hands, that I can guarantee. <br>
  • You gonna give me a backie then Stella? I'm presuming other people called getting a lift standing up on the back of somebody's bike as a kid this.
  • edited February 2014
    I'll take you on my top tube. :-) If you're really interested I could lend you one of my Viscounts, although it's possibly not such a good idea to cycle for hours on a bike you've never ridden, let alone on a Brooks saddle molded to my backside's needs. Just wanted to put that offer out there. <br>
  • We call it a croggy where I come from, Chunky. Don't think I've ever written that word before.
  • Where I come from we call it painful. Ever sat on a rear carrier for longer, and been over some humps? Seriously not recommended. <br>
  • Not sure what the weathers like but fancy a short journey today?
  • I'm planning to go for a nice and easy ride, yes. Will be leaving in about 45 minutes. Not sure where yet, but anything easy as I'm still a bit rough from the flu.<br>
  • So that was a nice and easy ride in the sun today and it showed that Peter was a tad hesitant about his ability. I think we could have easily gone for two hours. Hope the pie's nice. ;-)<br>
  • I think if you weren't pacing us Stella I would have pushed myself too hard and been knackered by the time we got to Old Street! 
  • Well, then we have to work on that, methinks. It's all about pacing, not the racing. :-)<br>
  • Hope everyone is enjoying the weather and taking the bike rather than public transport. I'll be riding to Battersea today to visit a bike shop. Really looking forward as I haven't been on a proper 'ride' for a while. Sunshine, music, cycling. All I need to be happy.<br>
  • I'm on the train! Walthamstow first then over to Greenwich is a bridge too far for me.
  • edited March 2014
    Both my bikes are out of action as the key snapped in the d lock linking them together, a little cycle down and round FP would have been nice!
  • Annie: never been to Greenwich by bike. Will have to give it a go some time.<br>Toodesocks: angle grinder!<br><br>I had a great ride. Two hours in the sun, through the city and back. Perfect weather for cycling as it's still cool. Even got a tan as I wore short sleeves and my brand new, bright red Viscount jersey for sure turned some heads. <br>
  • Stella , good to hear you had a nice time.<div><br></div><div>Waiting for Mr T to bring his angle grinder from his workshop, don't do much cycling as in miles covered but really miss my bike, especially in the good weather, fingers crossed it holds.</div><div><br></div><div>I am on  mission to get more cycle fit ;)</div>