What would you like to see on SGR?

Comments

• edited 9:24AM
    We did have a Gentleman's outfitters on the corner of Stroud Green and Tollington (opposite corner to Nando's) in the 90's (can't remember if it was still there in the Noughties). Very old school and unfashionable at the time.
    There's already a taxidermist within walking distance, Get Stuffed on Essex Road. Or are their prices unreasonable?
    Alarming home page for their <a href="http://www.thegetstuffed.co.uk/index.htm">web site</a> too.
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Get Stuffed and I really do not get along. They absolutely destroyed a Pine Marten that I wanted mounting and their approach to Water Fowl taxidermy could be considered slap dash at best.
    N4Matt wins this week's "things you thought you'd never read on SG.org" prize.
  • edited March 2010
    I love the fact that you can't just walk in to Get Stuffed, you have to have legitimate reason to make an appointment (not just want to gawp). It's like the dead half of Noah's Ark in there.

I shall regret for ever that one friend's suggestion to get me a stuffed emperor penguin for my birthday before last was overruled by another friend.

If ever any of you come across one, let me know, eh?
    I'd like: M&S Food Primark
    There a taxidemy/antique/junk shop on White Conduit St off Chapel Market at Angel. It is quite spectacularly bonkers, do have a look if you're down that neck of the woods. It has the most marvellous Victorian shopfront too.
    Old tellies and matresses, cracked or loose paving stones, winos... oh no, we have all those already.
    We need one of those really classy bars, the sort that would never allow me in there.
    Stringfellows?
    A polar bear
    Fewer wig shops.
    This may be a little ambitious for the scope of the question, but what I would really like to see is a masterplan for Stroud Green, particularly focussed on the SGR/Tollington Park crossroads. It’s arguably the geographical centre of Stroud Green (as opposed to the historical centre at Fiveways) and with the exception of the extreme southern stretch that is currently being redeveloped it’s the least salubrious part of SGR. It needs selective demolition and replacement of most of the post-war structures. In particular need of demolition: a) Wall Court (and ultimately all the crap behind it) b) The Tesco building c) The building opposite Tesco behind the slip-road d) The Nandos building These should be replaced with modern, sustainable, mixed-use buildings with facades that match the scale and style of the surrounding Victorian heritage. Ground floor retail, perhaps with restrictive covenants preventing too many big chains. Above and behind should be housing (ultimately with more provision than there is currently) with a mix of social, affordable and private homes. If done correctly this would result in a more attractive street with increased retail floorspace (more revenue for the council) and more homes. It would also help to end the relative ‘ghetto feel’ of the council estate by integrating it into the surrounding area.
    I smell mockery, JFJ.
  • edited March 2010
    I think it's a great plan but in the interests of whimsy I think it would be rather nice if we could have things like thatched roofs, gabled windows and a bit of half timbering mixed in. Surely thatch is sustainable?
    maybe a little bit.

I kinda, sorta, almost completely agree with you...

But realistically Tesco would have to change their building with permission. And if that was the case they would probably apply to make it bigger, as would Nandos.

The Bit by the slip road facing the post office could go, but they are private businesses and could realistically be swollowed up by another chain.

But yeah, not much mockery for once. SGR does need a good refurb, but the council will never put enough money up to support the local businesses to do so, and would more likely give in to ££ that Big Business can throw at it.

It would be nice to have it all nice and Crouch End-esque though.
    Mistimed edited post from me makes it look like JFJ agrees with the thatch idea which I'm pretty sure is not the case.
    Would love it to be Crouch Endy, perhaps we could have the fountain that Crouch End sadly lacks.
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Heh heh. Miss Annie, I’m unsure whether that would match the character of the area or meet exacting energy efficiency standards. Maybe we could get them to cobble SGR though, it would slow down traffic and would be easier to repair the ridiculous potholes!
    I don't want Stroud Green to be Crouch End.
    Neither do I. Crouch End gets on my chimes.
    I saw somebody taking a photo of wall court today. I didn't manage to stop him before he got on his folding bicycle and cycled away along UTP. Maybe it'll soon be listed?
    @sgmike: there are buildings pretty much of Wall Court design being demolished in the SE London redevelopments so I hope not. @JFJ: I used the term masterplan with care: I think what we need is a general plan of what the area *should* look like to act as a spur and guide for future redevelopment. The Nandos building really should be bigger so there would be incentives for them. Tesco could go up a story, especially if that was compensated by a decent façade. Existing private businesses could be encouraged to invest in exchange for fixed rates for a set period. The John Jones redevelopment is a good example of this sort of thing. A point about Crouch End generally- I like Crouch End, though I prefer Stroud Green for it diversity. But central CE is not a byword for plushness or architectural greatness. The stretch between the King's Head and Topsfield Parade has been ruined by decades of misjudged buildings. I include the 1930s town hall in that. And little care is being taken of the general streetscape - it looks more run-down than SGR in many places.
    @ Staplejack, Don't won't it to Be Crouch End, just be less Disgusting looking.

@ Miss annie, I am all over the Thatched roof Idea.. just got back from Devon and it is a lovely sight indeed to see so much Thatchery.
    But I imagine the council would piss on that idea as well

Thatcher's Britain, eh!!
    if they put in a primark it would be just the motivation i need to deliver a letter bomb on behalf of all the kids they use to make their clothes
    Wow!

That'll teach them.

You might as well do Nandos and Tesco before Primark

And there is one in Woodgreen now.

Yeah, Fight the machine. Yeah!! Oh who made the components of the computer your using? or the ones in your mobile? Or who harvested the cocoa beans for the chocolate you eat (if you do eat it, if you don't you're even more of a freak than you appear) ?

What about all that cotton in your clothes? Where are they from?
    Or your rice? or grain? or fruit? or vegtables?

Maybe you should send a letter bomb to yourself, Armchair activism is the only solution.
    I quite like Wall Court, with its Art Deco-style and red brick late 1940's look, I think it's quite an interesting building from the Stroud Green Road side and has some character and elegance. The rear isn't a looker though. Should you really knock something like that down and replace it with fake Victoriana? (As much as Victorian is by far the best look) It wouldn't be with Victorian style anyway, they'd probably replace it with something hideous modern and swiftly dating. Like that brutal monster on Hanley Road on the old library site. I agree wholeheartedly on some form of council plan being needed. Islington and Haringey should be embarrassed by their inactivity and lack of vision in supporting the area. SGR thrives despite the councils, not because of them.