Are you too scared to cycle in London?

Comments

• <p>I started to make the journey between Stroud Green and Westminster recently and so far so good. I had one hairy moment when a taxi overtook me whilst I was pulling up to an amber light before a checkerbox junction and signalling my intent to make right. He missed me by centimetres. He is the only one (so far) though.</p><p>I currently head down by the Arsenal stadium, along down Liverpool Road and Farringdon Road, but if anyone has a better recommendation I am all ears. I have done the Kentish Town/Green Park route, but it gets messy once you hit the bit between Regents Park and the Royal parks!</p><p> </p>
  • Hi, Chitori.<br><br>Welcome to the thread and the area. Just saw you're new to SG. No idea which route is best, I'm in for the award of 'cyclist getting lost the most'. My sense of direction is practically non-existent. <br>
  • Chitori, have you tried looking it up on Google Maps? There's an option to get directions for cycling.<br>
  • chitori, the best way into central is what I think you take.  If you're heading down SGR, turn right at Tollington for a few hundred metres.  At Hornsey road junction turn left.  Head down this road past the Emirates onto Benwall. At Central Library turn right, and go a 30 metres to the cycle lights across Holloway road past paradise Park and across Liverpool street and swing a right onto Thornhill road.  Follow this all the way down to Pentonville and down Amwell street.  After here it depends where you want to got in Central London.
  • Not sure whether there is complete route but when I used to cycle to St James I used to go down Portland Place and then either turn right into New Cavendish St or sometimes Margaret St.  I'd then continue west to either Welbekc St or Vere St and go along New/Old Bond St.<br><br>I think now St James St is two-way so you can get through St James that way and then onto the Mall.<br>
  • If you want to go to the West of London. I really recommend the regents canal. You come out at the top of Marble arch. you can also wave at all the animals in London zoo
  • Sutent, do you go via Camden Rd. to the canal? <br>
  • Yes you can either get on over the hill at Camden. I usually cycle at 630 am so go all the way to camden lock as it is faster going down the hill. <div><br></div><div>Bought some new front lights as its pitch black in the canal at night. Its like a search light. I cant wait to use it tomorrow night. With my space back lights I am like a UFO on wheels! Also got extra warm gloves and extra warm lycra as I am foing longer distances compared to ever before</div><div><br></div><div>Stella - booked my bike in for a service next Sunday. Need new chain brakes etc and a complete going over. </div><div><br></div><div>Cyling is the best form of transport ever. I wish we could be like Berlin and Paris with no deaths. </div>
  • Had a car nearly reverse into me and he would have if I hadn't been alert! I came through a cycle only exit near the Park Cafe and he obviously wasn't using his mirrors before reversing. Oh dear, what if it had been a kid etc. Too many people don't realise that a car is a dangerous weapon. Too many people are over confident, he obviously assumed that there wasn't going to be a car coming because it was cycle only.
  • Chain brakes? Where did you book it in, Micycle? Good guys there. Glad you booked it in. Safe riding is important, even more in the winter. <br><br>I, too, think it's the best form of transport, and I, too, wish there weren't any accidents. I think, though, that even Berlin and Paris have accidents. Berlin is quite similar to London, in many ways. <br>
  • Stella my first city cycling was in Berlin on holiday and I thought it was amazing. Safety in numbers!
  • I never cycled in Berlin or any other city than Bremen, which is one of the safest city to ride in. Too many cyclists can be just as dangerous if they try to overtake each other. I'd not feel too comfortable if I'd be in a bulk of cyclists.<br>
  • Stella I cheated and want to Evans in Crouch end on Sunday as I was near by and booked in. I feel bad but was convenient. Rather of used hedron which is right near me but not open on Sundays 
  • Micycle is open on Sundays. If you can, rather go to them and cancel Evans as they may not be the best choice.<br>
  • I would love to Stella support local business, but the he problem is that micycle close at 1830. I don't get back from work until after 1900 and Evans open until 2000. I cant be without my bike for more than a few days as I will feel ill. I only have one bike due to space
  • I see. Hope Evans does a good job and doesn't charge too much. I would have guessed that Micycle would take your bike in the morning and hand it back to you in the evening, but I may be wrong. They're quite busy these days. Shame I don't have the complete equipment yet, or else I would have done your bike. :-) Next time, I promise. <br>
  • My business is yours Stella. Seriously Stella every bike shop heaving. Its a massive industry. Shame we can't have a shop sgr
  • I love the fact that it's getting more and more; it means cycling finally becomes serious business. It's great news. The more, the better. I doubt, though, that we'll have less cars on the streets. <br>I'm dreaming of my own workshop/bike shop and have started to draw up some plans on how I want it to look like. I also have an idea of 'where' and will have to investigate. <br>It's probably not leading anywhere just yet, but one can have dreams, right? If you stop dreaming, you may as well stop living. <br>
  • By the way: there's that shop that previously was a clothes shop, I think. The one near Cats ... It would be a perfect one for me ... I don't want to know the rent, though. Uh ...<br>
  • Stella anything is possible if you put your mind to it and you really want it. You don't know whats round the corner. Opportunites in life come when you least expect it. Thats the experience I have had, <div><br></div><div>I dream of living in a society based on sharing rather than greed and also finding the cure for cancer. I am much closer to my second dream but frantically working on the first one every day. I think I can do both. </div><div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • Baby steps ... First I need to get out of this flat and find something peaceful or I'll go mad.<br>
  • edited November 2013
    Mayor Boris Johnson was on London bbc  94.9fm and has said he is thinking of banning cyclists from wearing headphones. I do think this is a good thing. <div><br></div><div>He also mentioned banning lorries during rush hour. </div>
  • edited November 2013
    That would make me angry. I've cycled with headphones for ages and it'll make a big difference to me. You come cycling with me and you'll see that I'm not less concentrated than others. I agree that wearing headphones with music so loud that it shuts out the traffic noise is wrong. One must be able to hear the traffic over it. <br><br>Banning lorries would be a good thing, though, if it helps.<br>
  • Stella I really don't think the headphone thing would be enforceable just look at how many drivers still use mobile phones while on the road and the police do nothing. <div><br></div><div>I've had run ins with some cyclist who wear headphones and seem totally distracted not noticing anyone around them, when you can hear their music over the traffic it is worrying. <br><div><br></div><div>Personally I couldn't cycle while listening to music I think it's too much of a distraction. I love music and listen to it all the time but I just feel it deprives me of an important sense while in a potential dangerous situations and I like to enjoy my music and cycling so I keep them separate. </div><div><br></div><div>I actually don't even wear headphones while walking as I was once jumped by 2 guys who tried to mug me and I didn't hear them come up behind me. </div></div>
  • <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">this annoys me. women who knocked cyclist off bike is sorry for her tweet but nothing about knocking over a cyclist and she even gets a tv deal!?!?! </font><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><a href="http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/nov/19/convicted-motorist-bloody-cyclists-tweet?CMP=fb_gu">http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/nov/19/convicted-motorist-bloody-cyclists-tweet?CMP=fb_gu</a></font></div>;
  • Stella that would be class if you had a shop on SGR!
  • <P>Your mad to cycle listening to music.</P> <P> </P> <P>Boris is going to be changing  the agenda  on Thursday big time so unless more people are killed this story will go into the background !</P>
  • For general info, ASL on Stapleton Hall Road is going to be repainted.
  • edited November 2013
    I understand why someone might think I'm mad cycling with headphones, but I promise you it doesn't distract me. And I can have conversations with you. I'm a bit odd anyway. lol<br><br>ETA: I also walk wearing headphones. Hope I'll never get in the same situation like you. Terrible.<br><br>Peter: I'd be in heaven if that would happen. Me, a small shop on SGR, all day surrounded by bikes, always someone from the forum popping by for a quick fix or a chat and coffee. I have so many great ideas ... Would probably not work in a small shop, but it would be a great beginning. *sigh* A lovely dream.<br>
  • Vetski: that's very good. I just remember, there's an issue (if it's still there) in Regina Rd. that can potentially be dangerous is a cyclist doesn't see it in time. Do I get in touch with those people, too? I totally forgot.<br>